GLOW

HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:03 AM, Your Fight Site said:

Binge-watched this last night. Enjoyable watch.

One topic I'm surprised they didn't really cover was kayfabe, which would have still been quite prevelant back then. There could have been some scenes of the girls having to "protect the bizness" rather than cut a promo in a Russian accent on a patio store forecourt.

I don't think "protect the bizness" is really in line with GLOW, though - "proper" wrestlers hated the show at the time because they felt it exposed the business, and given that no one involved really had a wrestling background, the whole "protect the business" mentality wouldn't have been drummed into them as hard as it would have been elsewhere in that time period.

I've got two episodes to go, and I've enjoyed it so far. It's not The Wire, but it's good enjoyable watch, and mostly pretty believable. Awesome Kong is genuinely brilliant in it, probably the highlight of the whole thing for me, though aside from Alex Riley there's not really been a bad performance yet. Speaking of Alex Riley, he's partly responsible for possibly my only real criticism of the show so far; spoilers for whatever episode it was that he appears in;

Maybe it's just watching through a wrestling fan's eyes, but the whole "this is a soap opera, I can do this!" line seemed to be a bit on the nose. And maybe it's a more subversive note on her relationship with men that I'm missing, but Debbie not "getting" how wrestling works until it's explained to her by a man (Steel Horse explaining the importance of a good heel) seems a bit at odds with the whole ethos of the show.  

Me and the wife watched the whole series over the weekend and really enjoyed it. I actually didn't even recognise Kong until about 8 episodes in. She's brilliant though, easily one of the best things about the show along with the Sam Sylvia character. Loved all the wrestler cameos and the little easter eggs like the Kendo Nagasaki poster on the dressing room door. I even popped when Brodus Clay turned up which is something I thought I'd never say. The only thing that I didn't like was....

the miscarriage bit. They could have probably cut that whole sequence out and it would have made zero difference. Just made me really uncomfortable.

Edited by cobra_gordo

19 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

Hide contents

the miscarriage bit. They could have probably cut that whole sequence out and it would have made zero difference. Just made me really uncomfortable.

just to clarify are you referring to the earlier sequence in the ring or the episode 9 storyline?

Also when are we allowed to discuss spoilers?

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

Is Marc Maron this funny in his own telly show?

I've found him to be a mixed bag, in other ventures, but he's undeniably brilliant in this.

I've binge watched all three of the Maron seasons on Netflix over the past week and found it a great watch. Haven't had a chance to watch any of his stand-up specials yet though.

• Paid Members

I binge watched the series this week, thoroughly enjoyed it. Marc Maron was very good in this, played the chauvinistic, inconsiderate director to a tee.

Alison Brie was also very good. Annoying at times, but that was the point. Kong did a brilliant job, I never realised how charismatic she was. Shame it never worked out for her in WWE.

This led me to watch the GLOW documentary, which was highly fascinating. Really welled-up when Fiji arrived for the reunion.

Really looking forward to the second series, which is inevitable given how well-received this is.