NWA is the best.

IANdrewDiceClay

3 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

Possibly because Bram/Thom Latimer wouldn't.

Which is understandable given his history (he doesn't get the Stone Cold pass), but a pity as he's a great talent.  Like Camille, he always stands out as being way too good for NWA.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Paid Members

Gave the ‘season premiere’ of Powerrr a go - not entirely up to speed since the first couple of seasons of the show when it first appeared and there are admittedly quite a few names and personalities I’ve never seen or haven’t seen in an age, so a lot of the below might be rather unjustified and in some cases nonsensical. Also the matches are all from the recent PPV and it’s more of a recap show.

👍 Absolutely pissing myself at Sal the Pal’s hair and Gaabz the Gimp. Within seconds of seeing them for the first time I’m completely hooked. It’s like a car crash I can’t turn away from. What an absolutely mental way to start things off - imagine you’ve heard about the NWA season premiere of its flagship show and you think, yeah, I might check that out actually. And this is the first act you see! Love how the gimp gets attacked and whipped with the strap, and of course he likes it 😂 This is some of the daftest bollocks I’ve ever seen and in the best possible way. Ran a bit long but they actually did some creative spots with the strap. Nice to see them refuse to kiss the big lad’s feet at the end. Good for them. I hope whatever sordid little friendship they have goes from strength to strength. No idea what the fuck I’ve just watched and I’m definitely going to have to lay off the Piritize because I swear I’m hallucinating. 

👍 Kratos chucking around Yabo the clown was quite funny. The clown becoming distraught at losing his nose and being delighted when he found it, dancing to try and escape a hold and using his giant tie as a weapon were all nice touches to the gimmick. 

👍 May Valentine who does their backstage interviews has a lovely smile and a most pleasant aesthetic. Also most of the interviews and promos were alright. 

👍 Aaron Stevens! One of my favourite wrestling comedy performers. Thought he’d retired since the early days of Powerrr. Warms the cockles to know he’s still about. Hallelujah! 

👍 Danny Deals💰 

👍 I really like how everyone got a second or two of screen time for the battle Royale entrance to at least make some sort of facial expression or even just to mock the person in front of them in the queue of people heading to the ring - you don’t see that much in other promotions as everyone normally comes down at the same time en masse showing no personality, or the pricks are already in the ring after a commercial break. 

👎 Actual battle royal itself was far too busy, too clunky, too complicated and way too long. Not for me, Clive. 

👎 Didn’t like Billy Corgan ribbing Joe Galli about switching up the order and ruining his flow. Why leave that in? Just re-shoot that bit or just go with his question, there’s no need to talk about the battle royal again that already lasted for bloody ages. Also Galli had to sit there for a fucking age while Corgan and Pat Kelly talked utter bollocks before he could get a word in and move things along. 

👎 Mentioned a similar item in the Impact thread but let’s sort the commentary desk out as it looks so low rent. Also why is Galli hidden by a giant monitor - they surely don’t need that for these different links? Pull your head out of your arse Billy. 

👎 Another Corgan moan, but again, those links lasted a fucking age. I know you’ve got to promote your shows and try and direct people to buy the repeats on Fite, but I feel like you can do that in a separate YouTube show which isn’t billed as a ‘season premiere’ - it’s a bit misleading. And I personally feel mislead, upset and betrayed. 

Overall - Sorry can’t talk now, filling out my application for Austin Idol for UniversalWrestlingCollege.com

• Paid Members

Loved Season 1 of Powerrr, even got myself a Waffles and Tire Irons t-shirt. Was super into it. You can pinpoint the drop in quality around Covid though because when the show stopped and all the stars went to WWE or AEW, it came back with a shocking roster and worse theme music and the vibe was dead.

• Paid Members

(Power - 18/4)
Overall - There’s so much potential with this intellectual property but I feel like it’s not being properly utilised. The standard of both the in-ring product and the set are far removed from the original incarnations of Power. Someone can probably enlighten me as to whether this is because they are touring more regularly now, either way the set really needs additional dressing and branding. I love the retro graphics and the vignettes they do - even the backstage interviews weren’t terrible. But the main portion of the show - you know, the wrestling - looks really poor, both when it comes to quality and general aesthetic. There’s potential with the NWA brand but it’s not being displayed at the moment. 

👍 Morton vs Alonso - Not a world-beating standard but the only match on the show that I thought looked professional enough to not look out of place in another promotion. Kerry Morton in particular is an interesting character - he’s showing great babyface qualities, little looks and gestures to the fans rallying for support, but he’s got a touch of the Anakin Skywalker about him in that he’s go that dark side streak lurking within him (case in point, his cocky promo and the finish to the match). I’ll watch his career with great interest...

👍 The backstage promos were one of the only other redeeming qualities of the show. Kerry Morton in particular cuts a nice promo and I like the partnership with his old man trying to keep him on the straight and narrow despite how braggadocious he is. In terms of the set and the presentation, it’s not quite the old Power studio with the desk, but it looks a lot better than the arena (more on this shortly!). No world-beating promos by any stretch, but there are at least some charismatic players around the NWA. 

👎 Opening promo - Not helped by microphone issues, but even if the audio were to be crystal clear, not something that got me excited for the show coming up, or the Crockett Cup. Tyrus doesn’t seem to be putting any zest into his promos. YouTube as a platform really needs its videos to start with a bang to keep the viewer engaged and to boost retention rates - this was not the way to do it. Also, did he fuck up by saying the World title was 12 pounds of gold? Is it 10 or is it 12? 

👎 The set - It looks rubbish. A backstage door looked to be flung open at the back on the main camera shot for most of the show. I know they’re on the road at the moment but the old Power studio they used looked excellent and like a quintessential NWA throwback. Is there really no more branding they can throw around the venue? 

👎 TV title - Slow, plodding, boring. Over the last fortnight or so I’ve seen some cracking starts to TV shows. I repeat what I said about the opening promo just before this - YouTube as a platform needs its videos to keep the viewer engaged and to boost retention rates. Like the Tyrus promo exchange, this first match wasn’t a way to do that in any way shape or form. Instead, get a tag match on to kick things off with bang, throw in some great double-team moves and hot tags along with other creative spots and both live audience and the rest of the viewing public will be well on board for the evening's festivities. 

👎 Natalia Markova La Rosa Negra - No shortage of effort but some of the execution had me absolutely wincing. In terms of quality, nowhere near up to the standard of other promotions on the scene at the moment when it comes to women’s wrestling. 

• Paid Members

I watched Powerrr again so you don't have to. 

The_logo_for_NWA_Power.jpeg.1c83911fb0dd39f15bcefc0988296c2e.jpeg

👍 The Wrestling! - Rather than review each match in detail (most of them are quite short) I'll comment on the action generally. The first couple of episodes of this new season were sorely lacking in what I'd call premium in-ring action - not a patch on the matches being put on by their industry contemporaries and certainly not up to the standard of the earlier seasons of Powerrr. However, this week there was a marked improvement in the content of the the in-ring product. It's still not the most eye-catching of the most technically sound, but the execution definitely made for a step in the right direction. Kenzie Page and Ella Envy was a big improvement on last week's women's match for instance. There was nothing so hideously bad you had to skip it. There's still plenty of work to do, but hopefully as we build towards the Crockett Cup we can step up the intensity level. 

👍 Aaron Stevens will always get a thumbs up for any appearance he makes. I'd love to see WWE rehire him as a manager. 

👍 Special mention for Trevor Murdoch, who appeared to dislocate his finger mid-match and popped it back in himself to keep things rolling. 

👎 Same gripes as previously about the set - this was part of the same set of tapings as the last couple of shows. Can't find any details presently on the next set of tapings but Christ I hope it's back in a studio environment because this looks so low-rent. 

Overall - I might stick with it for a few more episodes. It's an easy free watch on YouTube and there might be the odd gem to discover every once in a while. It's still not a patch on the Powerrr of old, but there are still flashes with things like the graphics, the vignettes and the odd funny promo. It's not going to make me start watching their second show (NWA USA) anytime soon, but let's see where it all goes. 

On 4/13/2023 at 12:21 PM, FelatioLips said:

Loved Season 1 of Powerrr, even got myself a Waffles and Tire Irons t-shirt. Was super into it. You can pinpoint the drop in quality around Covid though because when the show stopped and all the stars went to WWE or AEW, it came back with a shocking roster and worse theme music and the vibe was dead.

Yup. It was my favourite promotion in the entire world ever when you had stuff like George South in Brad Armsrongs trunks heeling on the world, the ace Eli Drake and James Storm tag team, Ricky Starks, CW Anderson getting over,and lots and lots of wonderful Tim Storm being the king of the world.covid fucked it.

especially THE QUESTION MARK

Edited by Butch2000

• Paid Members

Question Mark was over like rover with his Mongrovian Ka-Ra-Tay, a far cry from that Jocephus nonsense he did.