NWA is the best.

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

I'm still watching Powerrr so you don't have to (but I have included the link if you did want to)

👍 Star power! - We're four episodes into this new 'season' of Power and it's taken up to this point to get a show which has a consistent amount of star power and more recognisable industry names for the duration of the show. Starting and ending with Kamille, appearances from Tyrus, Chris Adonis, EC3 and old timers like Austin Idol and Ricky Morton at ringside and backstage respectively. Some (or possibly none) of those names will tingle your testes or be your cup of tea, but it was refreshing to have most of the talent NWA promotes as their bigger players having a more active part on the show as a collective, rather than a more spread out smattering we've seen in recent weeks. 

👍 Good matches - Two perfectly fine contests as Chris Adonis (ex-Chris Masters) went over 'Cyon' and Kamille/Markova went to a tastefully done time-limit draw which sets up a possible rematch down the line. Adonis in particularly - who was already massively improved when he was unfortunately released all of those years ago by WWE - looks in good nick. I hope people don't give him stick about general loss of muscle mass from his WWE days - he still looks fantastic and I dare say a lot healthier. He also has a glorious long mane now. 

👍 Aaron Stevens - Always makes me chuckle. Would absolutely love AEW or WWE to hire him as a manager because he'd be absolutely brilliant. 

👍 Daisy Kill - Fun little ukele gimmick he's got going on. 

👎 Same comments as usual about the set for this particular round of tapings - no idea where they're off to next but fuck me I hope they do some better set dressing. The background of the main camera shot is awful. The King's Lynn leisure centre looks more picturesque. A terrible effort. 

👎 In contrast to my comments about using a lot of big stars, some of the opposition for them were straight out of the create-a-wrestler mould and not in a good way. 'Carnage' and 'Cyon' in their ill-fitting masks and terrible tights for instance. Do me a favour. 

👎 The women's tag between m95 and the 'Hollywood Blondes' wasn't pretty. I do think there's potential with the Blondes though - that feels like a good gimmick for NWA which ties into a historical name but has elements of GLOW about it. 

Overall - More good than bad this week. I'll keep up with this season until the Crockett Cup, probably watch that, then make a call on whether or not to keep watching regularly from there. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members

I can't imagine the Hollywood Blondes would be able to put in much of a performance anyway given that Pillman's passed away and Austin's probably not in proper match shape.

Edited by jazzygeofferz
Bring back downvotes

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Adonis in particularly - who was already massively improved when he was unfortunately released all of those years ago by WWE - looks in good nick. I hope people don't give him stick about general loss of muscle mass from his WWE days - he still looks fantastic and I dare say a lot healthier.

This makes a lot of sense. The last time I saw him wrestle live in 14-15 he was already one of the best babyfaces on the planet. Well, as long as you'd paid to watch him, obviously.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, air_raid said:

This makes a lot of sense. The last time I saw him wrestle live in 14-15 he was already one of the best babyfaces on the planet. Well, as long as you'd paid to watch him, obviously.

I remember that match he had that ended with a single chairshot to the head. It felt so organic though, and let's not forget his tenure in iconic tag team The Legion of #Boom

One thing I find interesting is they are trying different things to see what works - The Smashing Pumpkins did a Mexico City Concert in Early March - one of the supporting acts was an 8 Match NWA vs AAA event - filmed by both companies for broadcast the AAA version in Spanish is on Youtube. Easily the biggest crowd NWA has had at an event for several Decades

The Pumpkins did a tour of Australia from 15th April - 10 concerts and supporting them were the NWA against Local  Talent - don't know if this was filmed for broadcast - I suspect not much as only 7 or 8 NWA wrestlers made the journey.

So Where are the Pumpkins playing next - 4 concerts in California at the end of May

Touring in the US for six weeks from the End of July to Mid-September -  About 30 concerts - I don't know if they will use these concerts to film footage - but they easily could -.

• Paid Members

👍 Bully Ray/Daisy Kill - Best crowd participation so far from this set of tapings. Daisy Kill’s ukulele gimmick is a lot of fun. Bully is a master at whipping the crowd into getting exactly the sort of response he wants. An angle rather than a match, but it was one of the more entertaining NWA segments of recent shows.  

👍 Aaron Stevens will always get a thumbs up from me. Always entertaining. 

👎 Latimer/EC3 - An absolute shower for several reasons. The match itself was slow, plodding and lacked any sense of urgency or a big fight feel whatsoever. The time limit is key here when talking about the sense of urgency - it felt like a total non/factor when it absolutely should have been a vehicle for both guys to pick things up doesn’t he stretch, yet they just laboured through it. And when the time expired, even Corgan comes out and refuses to let the match be restarted despite the crowd’s pleas, only pissing people off more. This is the opening match and the opening segment of the show - even the opening ident didn’t roll until after the match concluded. Unless you’re a sad fuckwit like me, what on Earth would make you continue watching after this? A crap match, a crap booking decision, a crap way to begin the show. Corgan, you’re having a bubble. 

👎 How many fucking matches have they taped at this absolute dive of a venue?! Jesus wept. It’s such an eyesore. I’m sick of seeing that absolutely miserable cunt in the front row in his bright blue t-shirt for every week now. 

👎 Morton/Jabbo - Jabbo does make the most of the clown gimmick in fairness and there’s some potential with it. I also liked the post-match dissension Morton with his young lad and they are clearly building to a confrontation there. But Jesus, not a match that would make TV on any other promotion. 

👎 BFT vs Tyrus/Adonis - Match itself was mostly ok, four big lads chucking each other around and all that. But another horribly uninspiring finish here and a seriously lacklustre ending to what was already a pretty tough show to watch. The start and end of your shows absolutely must capture and retain the audience’s attention, either in person or through the screen, and this lacked on both counts. 

Overall - This show continues to get worse and worse. Again, the way this episode opened and closed seriously irked me - a serious lack of effort, creativity and foresight from a booking perspective. If they’re not going to put the effort into the actual finishes and deliberately not give the audience something they want (using Corgan’s appearance after the opened as a case in point, where he literally, actively told them they weren’t going to get something they wanted) - why the fuck would anyone still by inclined to put in the effort to watch? It’s absolutely needless self-sabotage. They have this iconic brand and a good production crew in terms of great vignettes they put together, but the in-ring content is woefully inconsistent, feels painfully slow to watch and the actual set for this batch of tapings looks utterly fucking abysmal. What a shame - such a contrast from the early Power episodes. I’ll give it until the Crockett Cup and then call it a day reviewing this one. 

• Paid Members

An NWA double bill…that was actually alright. 

👍 Komander & Octagon JR vs Homicide & Cyon - Fun opener with some good patter thrown in to get the audience involved and some eye-catching, energetic action down the stretch. Lovely stuff. 

👍 Aron Stevens & Natalia Markova vs Arez & La Hiedra - Fun patter again and Stevens is always a riot with his comedy theatrics. Loved one particular spot in this one - as a pin is taking place, La Hiedra casually walks over, the ref gets to two, and she just casually kicks his hand away before he can hit the mat for three. Never seen that before! 

👍 Kerry Morton/Jack Cartwheel/Sal - Another good match, albeit with a couple of slip-ups from Sal at the tail end. Morton’s a good little shithouse and quite a good fit for what I think a modern NWA should probably be like. Jack Cartwheel has a shit name, but definitely looks the part - great spot doing a sort of side-cartwheel on the apron in a great show of core strength.

👎 Trevor Murdoch vs Psycho Clown - Crap plunder brawl - skip. 

Overall - Easily the best bit of NWA output I’ve watched of late (largely thanks to the quality of the AAA contingent). Energetic, eye-catching, crowd participation, basically all the ingredients you could ask for. Duff fourth match aside, the first half of the matches from this festival were a good standard.

Oh, and I’m still watching Powerrr so you don’t have to…but this week was also quite good! 

👍 Kenzie Paige vs Sierra - Probably the best match on Powerrr in recent memory! There was a fantastic energy and sense of urgency about this one, and I thought the standard in general was very good. Sierra has the makings of a star in my opinion - a physical presence but with a knack for audience participation. Same with Kenzie - a good outing for her. Quite short, but exactly the sort of start this type of show needs and a massive contrast from the week before, for example. Great!

👍 Alex Taylor/Fodder/Koa Laxamana - Again, very energetic! Surprised this was only four minutes as it felt longer, but not in a bad way I should add. This is exactly the sort of output I want to see more of on the show. 

👎 Kratos/Odinson vs Cynon/Jordan Clearwater - Nothing hideous but ran a bit long.

👎 Main event women’s tag - Same comments as above, nothing terrible but not the sort of slobberknocking barnstormer to close the show out with a bang.

Overall - By far and away the best Powerrr from an in-ring perspective since since I’ve been regularly watching again. There was a much greater energy and better showcases of athleticism across the show and it’s been sorely lacking of late, so it was a welcome development. We’re building nicely to the Crockett Cup show. I think I might park these reviews for the weekly shows, but probably pop back in for the PPVs depending on how the next couple of episodes go. 

• Paid Members

Another NWA double-bill review! 

Powerrr

Overall - Another step in the right direction for Powerrr heading into the Crockett Cup! 

👍 Masterlock Challenge (!) - Daft yet brilliant panto. Stevens is a fucking great comedy heel. So much latter here about his jacket (“It was given to me by the Prince of Malta. Little known fact. This jacket cost more than your homes!”), his Ascot tie, screaming while selling the Masterlock itself. Piss funny. Hire them both back into WWE. 

👍 Blake Troop vs Talos -  A nice David vs Goliath bout here. Troop looked the part trying take down the beastly giant. Not a bad start to the show.

👍 La Rebellion vs Magnum Muscle - Picked up down the stretch and although it was a screwy finish with the faux-title change, I thought it was tastefully done. I quite like Magnum Muscle - it’s a great name for starters. Dak Draper looks the part. 

👍 Kerry Morton vs Jeremiah Plunkett - Good sprint. Morton’s a little shitbag and he owns it really well. 

👎 I still fucking detest this utter shithole of a venue. It really does bring the whole show down. 

NWA vs Triple AAA Part II

Overall - Nothing redeeming about Part II of their stint at the World is a Vampire festival. The first part had some good moments so check that out if you have time to kill. 

👎 Tyrus vs Daga - Daga fucked his ankle when doing a stomp and the match was brought abruptly to a halt. It wasn’t the most inspiring of starts before that though and while a thumbs down is probably harsh considering the injury, overall it was a damp squib to end things with.

👎 Kamille vs Lady Flammer - No shortage of effort but execution too sloppy at times (mostly from Flammer). 

👎 Blue Demon Jr/Vampiro vs La Rebellion - Not great. Vampiro looks knackered, fair play for still giving this lark a good stab though (although I think he’s since called time on his retirement tour due to injury?). Not sure if this is the same match where he stopped selling for a bit and just fucked off for a wander outside the ring, but it appeared to be edited out of this version! 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

• 4 months later...
On 5/26/2023 at 12:10 AM, Fatty Facesitter said:

👎 I still fucking detest this utter shithole of a venue. It really does bring the whole show down. 

Is there any reason they stopped using the TV studio they used in Georgia when Power was good? It’s now too dark in lighting terms for me to have any interest in it.