Worst Special Effects on TV and in Movies

DJM

• Awards Moderator

I can get why you'd feel that way about CG Cushing (I personally found it a little jarring at first viewing but on watching again it's not an issue - we went to the 70mm IMAX showing at the Science Museum and you could hardly tell he was CG in that format) but he's not even the worst example of that technology. It's come on leaps and bounds since CG Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

The Cushing has received such mixed reviews I honestly believe they've been shipping several different versions of the movie out.

I was listening to a well-respected tech podcast at the weekend and two of the panel said they didn't know he was CGI.

For the record I think it is an outstanding achievement, and no not perfect but a more believable human than Forrest Whittaker.

• Paid Members

The last Star Wars films attempt at resurrecting Peter Cushing was visually off and unnecessary.

Hulk and The Incredible Hulk were both so bad I'd have rather they just did Lou Ferringo again.

Disagree

The Cushing has received such mixed reviews I honestly believe they've been shipping several different versions of the movie out.

I was listening to a well-respected tech podcast at the weekend and two of the panel said they didn't know he was CGI.

For the record I think it is an outstanding achievement, and no not perfect but a more believable human than Forrest Whittaker.

agree

I can get why you'd feel that way about CG Cushing but he's not even the worst example of that technology. It's come on leaps and bounds since CG Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy.

I love Tron Legacy, but the Jeff Bridges at the beginning I find terrible. Later, as Clu, I found it much more believable (maybe as they were then IN the grid)

I have to say I thought both Crushing and Leia were done really well. However, the first time I saw it was in Imax 3D and the second in 2D. I thought it was more realistic in the IMAX 3D showing so maybe it is down to the quality of the version you are seeing? 

• Paid Members

Hulk and The Incredible Hulk were both so bad I'd have rather they just did Lou Ferringo again.

I enjoy all the Hulk films and although the CG was decent in the others I remember watching the Avengers and feeling for the first time that I totally believed he was a character who was really there as much as anyone else onscreen.

• Paid Members

CGI Cushing and Leia don't sit well because our brains know that they're CGI, irrespective of how realistic they are.

There's also a CGI rebel pilot that's in there to tie in with Episode IV, but because I didn't realise I didn't spot him as being CGI.

• Paid Members

Everytime someone brings up Runaway I get horrible flashbacks to the robot spiders... I have dreamed about them off and on for nearly 30 years. The last time was only a week or so ago.

There's some therapy needed there. 30 year nightmares is a nasty thing to be dealing with, especially when it involves Gene Simmons during the non-makeup years.

My only downside is that we had no Dooku to reunite Cushing and Lee again. Mind you that would have had me blubbing to this day no matter how unrealistic it looked.

Give it a few years for the Lucas version where Dooku gets a paper cut instead of his head lopped off.

The last Star Wars films attempt at resurrecting Peter Cushing was visually off and unnecessary.

Disagree

agree

I can get why you'd feel that way about CG Cushing but he's not even the worst example of that technology. It's come on leaps and bounds since CG Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy.

I love Tron Legacy, but the Jeff Bridges at the beginning I find terrible. Later, as Clu, I found it much more believable (maybe as they were then IN the grid)

I have to say I thought both Crushing and Leia were done really well. However, the first time I saw it was in Imax 3D and the second in 2D. I thought it was more realistic in the IMAX 3D showing so maybe it is down to the quality of the version you are seeing? 

I havent watched Tron Legacy for a few years, but I remember the CGI in it being pretty great? Has it not held up?

• Awards Moderator

It's very impressive in Tron Legacy - it's just a case of now they can make it even more so. It was cutting edge for the time but if they made Legacy today it'd be even better. So it's not that it hasn't held up, just that the technology's moved on. Bit like mo-cap performances, or even looking at animation - the hairs on the dog in Toy Story 2 compared with the hairs on Sully in Monsters Inc for example.

• Paid Members

There's also a CGI rebel pilot that's in there to tie in with Episode IV, but because I didn't realise I didn't spot him as being CGI.

I thought they used clips from Episode IV that didn’t make the final film for the Red Leader scenes?

Archived