Worst Special Effects on TV and in Movies

DJM

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Dick Jones falling out of the window in Robocop, which we will all agree is an absolutely flawless film, until this shot

B6-MBe8IgAA_Qnn.jpg

Must have watched "Robocop" a gazillion times and never noticed this. It'll be forever stuck in my head now.

The best falling from a roof one I saw was in Runaway, where Gene Simmons fell off a roof against Tom Selleck and shot back at him whilst falling. Yes it was Dar Robinson doing the stunt and I haven't watched it back in ages in case it wasn't that good in the first place.

• Paid Members

It did, I think. I haven't ever been quite as bad as the first time my wife (to be, at that time) stayed at my parents house, and she was startled to find me on the landing at about 1am screaming about "The spiders!" and waving the duvet around.

This time, I went to sleep about about 9pm, and woke up four or so hours later from a dream that I was convinced was real, where someone (Gene Simmons, I assume) poured a bucket of miniature versions of those spiders onto the bed. Didn't sleep again that night.

Power Rangers The Movie, after having these brilliant if a little cheesy Kaiju costumes in the TV show they go to sub-ps1 CGI for the big battles in the film.

Yeah couldn't understand that one, thankfully they rectified it in the awful Turbo movie

I imagine it was due to the movie being purely American, it wasn't anything to do with Super Sentai IIRC.

• Paid Members

Not CGI, but the original Terminator includes a couple of poor practical effects that were completely put of place.

Yeah, that bit where he was fixing his hand looked a bit dodgy. Probably ok by 1984 standards though.

Same bit copied in the Italian film "Hands of Steel".

Power Rangers The Movie, after having these brilliant if a little cheesy Kaiju costumes in the TV show they go to sub-ps1 CGI for the big battles in the film.

Yeah couldn't understand that one, thankfully they rectified it in the awful Turbo movie

I imagine it was due to the movie being purely American, it wasn't anything to do with Super Sentai IIRC.

Ah yeah of course, same reason why the Ranger suits looked bulkier and more armored and Rita and Goldar had their appearances altered. Going off the trailers for the new film, the CGI looks a million times better

• Paid Members

Dick Jones falling out of the window in Robocop, which we will all agree is an absolutely flawless film, until this shot

B6-MBe8IgAA_Qnn.jpg

I swear every time I watch the film his arms get longer. By the time Digby jnr gets to watch it he'll be like Mr Tickle.

This failure was apparently due to the model being built with proportions for a false perspective shot. They then shot it differently and he the model went, wherever I, did go.

• Paid Members

I can't even see the words 'bad special effects' without instantly thinking of the surfing scene in Escape from LA, it's an automatic response

I hate bad CGI with a passion but I'm a helpless defender of bad practical effects, I just find them cool and endearing. I made the mistake of going to a sold out showing of The Terminator at the Prince Charles cinema so it was full of twats. I felt like swinging a fire extinguisher at the lot of them when this scene came on and everyone chuckled

terminator7.jpg

Archived