Disney and Other Theme Parks aka PB's fairgrounds for young girls

Nick Soapdish

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Monkee said:

Just booked to go to Disneyland Paris in February staying at the Cheyenne. Not stayed in a Disney hotel before. Wanted to do the Eurostar too but it doesn’t coincide with the days we wanted to go so it looks like we’re driving instead. I’ve been before but I can’t wait for this trip already!

Do they do Magic Bands there yet?

No and no plans currently. Not stayed in Cheyenne since 1995, but that’s where I’m staying next month. I think the re-themed rooms look great.

also, 90 days out is when the indirect Eurostar tickets come out with a change at Lille. Worth looking as much cheaper then direct. And I’ve even gone to Paris before and RER to Marne Le Valle. It’s pretty easy. Driving is good though

• Awards Moderator

@Monkee We got the Eurostar and changed at Lille, if that’s an option it’s dead easy. Lille station only has 4 platforms so you basically go up the stairs, check the train number and platform and go back down the stairs.

Disneyland Paris trip was loads of fun. We got fast passes for the first day which meant we could do all the things we wanted with no queueing, leaving us free to watch shows or wait a bit for other things on day 2.

It’s been about 8 years since I was last there so hadn’t been on new Star Tours before. I was a bit apprehensive because old Star Tours is one of my favourite things in the world, but new one - while not quite giving me the same pure joy - was loads of fun. We went on 4 times, which I could justify by the fact you get a slightly different trip each time. Hoth! Naboo! Kashyyyk! Coruscant! I mean, canonically you’re slipping between all the eras of films but I’ll forgive them that.

The second one we did was definitely the best. Kylo Ren, Jakku, Poe, Crait, Batuu. It was absolutely thrilling and I loved it. I was buzzed for several hours afterwards just reliving it in my head. Felt like the old Star Tours - especially the caverns on Crait (which I think were partially based on Star Tours in TLJ in the first place) and Finn’s “Star Tours, what are you doing here?” like in the old one. So much fun, could have done that again and again.

Interestingly in the third one we got a holo message from Princess Leia, and everyone in the ride let out this noise that was a combination of a gasp, a sigh and an ‘aaw’ of sympathy. Like everyone got that sudden pang of remembering Carrie Fisher is no longer with us. I still can’t see her on screen without getting a bit emotional and that made it clear I’m far from the only one.

Anyway, three out of the four times we went in it, it got a round of applause at the end, which was cool.

Other stuff... Thunder Mountain was as fun as I remembered (we did that 3 times), although I’m sure it wasn’t that fast when I was a kid! Hadn’t been on the Ratatouille ride before but that was really cleverly done. Did the standards like Pirates, Phantom Manor, and then things like the Army Men parachute drop and Buzz Laser Blast. 

Day 2 was free enough that we could watch the Lion King ‘Rhythms of the Pridelands’ show which was amazing. I think it’s on again next summer and I very much recommend it, incredible production values and felt like you were watching a condensed version of the West End show. Really excellent. Stunt show at the studios was still cool even if it hasn’t changed in ever.

The only thing that really (really) let it down was the food. It was so surprising how, considering how well they do everything else, their food offer is so shite. Burgers and chips as far as the eye can see and very, very little else. I know there are the super expensive fully booked places but other than that, so little variety and massive queues for expensive crap. Same deal in the Village. We ended up at Vapiano both nights. They could really do with working at how poor the whole thing was on that count. Hoping when we go to California next year for Galaxy’s Edge it’s a bit better there! We did at least have a nice mocktail at the Newport Bay Hotel.

The real world is so grim and boring in comparison to the last couple of days but at least I can eat relatively well.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

There are only a few places that don’t stick to the burger and chips standard. Though think there is much more variety in the park over studios which is piss poor. 

Cant believe you didn’t do Space Mountain. My new favourite after the re-theme. Paris’s Thunder was always more intense then the others, but you’re not going mad. It has been quicker since they did all the refurbishment. Glad you had a great time though

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

We found food in Disneyland and DCA is even better than WDW overall, plus there are loads of options just outside the park if you want something a bit more reasonably priced.

There's a couple who have an entire channel dedicated to Disneyland food.

Do a YouTube search for the Disney food blog too. Mostly Orlando but quite a bit of Disneyland there too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Halloween Horror Nights so far has not disappointed. The houses are strong this year with Ghostbusters being a fantastic recreation of the film, US being a far more scary then the film, but paying enough of a homage to the film. But the Universal classic monsters house is one of my favourites.

Hagrids is still ridiculously hard to get on though. 

• Paid Members

I was going to hold off Disneyland Paris until my 2 kids were old enough to appreciate it, but the announcement of a Frozen theme has put that plan to bed! I've booked to go bank holiday April weekend for 3 nights. Finally managed to get good value for my Amex points and have got the return Eurostar tickets for free! With this in mind.. I thought I'd splurge a little on the hotel so we've gone for the Disneyland Hotel.

Looking forward to it! My daughter will go nuts with all the Frozen stuff going on. Hoping 3 nights 4 days will be enough for everything.

• Paid Members

One of my friends has been away with her fella to what looks like some kind of Ferrari theme park somewhere? She shared a video of a pretty savage looking roller coaster with cars that looks like Ferrari F1 cars and a 120ft vertical drop. Plus what looks like an arcade/expo type thing with simators and games inside. 

• Paid Members

I’ve not been to either so I don’t know what rides are there. This is the one in Spain:

2833BF69-2610-4B10-BB01-7F56D9AAE40F.jpeg.c2a1e2e31ce2db7b57b2817928c24eb1.jpeg

And this is the one in Abu Dhabi:

99D7C4C1-85A9-48A3-91EA-6C901F3AE25A.thumb.jpeg.3877e4f2e0788be7c4a12a99d3545b24.jpeg

Googling images and the one in Abu Dhabi has the kids cars that look like Ferrari racing cars so it might be this one:

DA445669-1E05-4B57-8011-F32DB54EFE7D.jpeg.9a87d6ab3c598ba3e41d0510c695d85d.jpeg

• Paid Members

So Star Wars Galaxies Edge was amazing. Beautifuly themed, once you get into the marketplace. Before you got to that, seriously underwhelmed. 

Smugglers Run is either a fantastic ride which lets you take part of being part of the crew of the Millennium Falcon, or bloody awful depending on who you ride with. That ride needs an automatic and manual option pronto. 

@quote the raven the skylines is amazing. Epcot to Caribbean Beach Club in less then 5 minutes. Though I imagine will close often in Hurricane season. Whilst no air con, the slatted windows which can be adjusted, made it feel very cold.   

17 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

One of my friends has been away with her fella to what looks like some kind of Ferrari theme park somewhere? She shared a video of a pretty savage looking roller coaster with cars that looks like Ferrari F1 cars and a 120ft vertical drop. Plus what looks like an arcade/expo type thing with simators and games inside. 

Yes that is in Salou, i have been there, it’s really good. The rides are more for adults and teenagers rather than younger kids. But saying that the park itself looks great and has a parade at the end of the evening which the younger kids love.  I’m really suprised this isnt more well known. It also has an excellent waterpark next to it.

just saw Monkees post.

@monkee, with regards to Euro Disney, you really have to watch the parade at the end of the evening, it’s unbelievably good. Theres also a magic show in one of the theatres there with all the Disney charachters which really captures the Disney experience. 

Edited by Porkchopcash

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Porkchopcash said:

Yes that is in Salou, i have been there, it’s really good. The rides are more for adults and teenagers rather than younger kids. But saying that the park itself looks great and has a parade at the end of the evening which the younger kids love.  I’m really suprised this isnt more well known. It also has an excellent waterpark next to it.

just saw Monkees post.

@monkee, with regards to Euro Disney, you really have to watch the parade at the end of the evening, it’s unbelievably good. Theres also a magic show in one of the theatres there with all the Disney charachters which really captures the Disney experience. 

Mickey and the Magician just closed for the year. Not back until February unfortunately 

• 1 month later...

So at WrestleMani time, I’ll be in Orlando from the night of the 25th of March to the morning of 2nd of April, then in Tampa until the morning of the 7th, and then back to Orlando and fly home the evening of the 8th.

It’s an annoying amount of time to be in Orlando, because I’m gonna have to get the Disney 14-day admission, aren’t I? Or is there a cheaper ticket that would get me one day at each park?

For universal, I’ll likely get a one day park hopper. 

You can buy tickets on the gate, but the UK 2 week passes are still really cheap compared to those. for 4 days a park hopper Disney pass is $532.73-$703.24, or the base one park only per day is $447.53-$618.04 depending on the time of year you're going. A 14 day park hopper pass bought from one of the UK sites is £409. Plus you won't get the advance fast pass booking if you buy over there, which might be a crucial time-saver if you're only going to have maybe 1 full day at each park.