It's today then ... (Trump thread)

mikehoncho

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

There's a lot of shenanigans and shit that can go on between now and then. Didn't Trump appoint someone to the Supreme Court a few weeks ago when it was widely believed he should have waited until after the election to see if he got another mandate?

All of a sudden it makes sense as to why he proceeded regardless. 

He's been pretty clearly angling towards this for a while. It's why so many people were talking about how it'd swing to Biden (early votes), then Trump (on the day) then Biden again (postal votes). The clear plan was that he would start the conspiracy theory while they were ahead, claiming victory and saying 'stop the count', then tying it up in courts. The intention being that you'd split the media too, and muddy the narrative (which they've been pretty good at).

However, the 'on the day' votes didn't go anywhere near well enough. He never actually really pulled ahead in either the popular vote or the electoral seats in a way for that narrative to work. Instead, they tried to claim victory while they were behind on every metric.

Some of the other parts of the plan went against him too - he'd lost Fox News, who clearly decided to not play ball on the day. And the Democrats knew what he was trying to pull, so they were very clear in all their messaging. And the second it was clear Biden was going to win (which was on the night, more-or-less), the media mostly stopped 'both-sidesing' it and went 'this fucker's lying'.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Some of the other parts of the plan went against him too - he'd lost Fox News, who clearly decided to not play ball on the day. And the Democrats knew what he was trying to pull, so they were very clear in all their messaging. And the second it was clear Biden was going to win (which was on the night, more-or-less), the media mostly stopped 'both-sidesing' it and went 'this fucker's lying'.

Excellent summing up.

Pretty unprecedented for a network like CNBC to cut away from a Presidential address (as did many others), but some of CNN's straplines were also a joy to behold.

In a way its a pity it took so long for such severe censoring of his bollocks, but in another way the timing couldn't have been better as it caused the Trump campaign's obvious tactics to just blow up in their faces. Had the Trumpers expected it beforehand they may not have gone down that road.

Edited by garynysmon

Aren’t the ballots in the US an all in one deal? Like over here you get a separate ballot for national and regional if they’re on the same day but you don’t in the US? If that is the case, why aren’t they calling for recounts in congressional ballots as they must be equally as dodgy? I’m sure it’s nothing to do with the GOP winning those ones. 

Yeah CNN ripped the absolute piss out of him. 

Another thing to consider about the Supreme Court is that it's a job for life so Trump's picks have no use for him now they have the job. 

He's expendable. Biggest problem the GOP face now is cutting ties with him without bleeding too much support. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, The King Of Swing said:

He's expendable. Biggest problem the GOP face now is cutting ties with him without bleeding too much support. 

I think it's more than that. I think the GOP and others are aware of the cult he leads, and are terrified he'll turn on them before he goes. Which he will, obviously. But I think they're scared that he'll go 'I've got to go and it's all Fox News / Lindsay Graham / Mitch McConnell's fault', and they'll get shot for being a traitor by someone with a MAGA hat on. 

On top of that, they know they desperately need Trump's support to stay relevant right now. If he goes without endorsing whoever is left, the party is too split to ever win again. So they're desperate for him to leave on good terms, because he'll piss in the tent like it's a Russian hotel bed if not.

It's possible, I suppose, that they're indulging him because they're very aware they've got to fight a couple of senate seats, with a massively de-motivated base, who aren't as likely to turn out second time around.

• Paid Members

There's a part of me that hopes that Trump toddles off and starts his new network and a third party to boot, ensuring an easy Democrat win in 2024 ala what happened when Ross Perot ran on a high profile third party ticket in 1992. I'd imagine that would leave some leeway for a more progressive agenda thereafter, depending on the makeup of Congress.

(Mind you, the left always fucks these things up doesn't it?)

By the way, just want to say how much I've enjoyed this thread over the past week or so. Some really great contributions all round.

Edited by garynysmon

Ultimately if this was over one or two states HE MIGHT have a chance,  but this is over around 4-5 states with significant majorities for Biden. Recounts wont bring back the desired result, and its hard to see all of those lawsuits over those states giving Trump his electoral majority, especially as there's a distinct lack of proof to what he's actually alleging.

Trump's aim is to go on and on about how it was stolen. He'll concede eventually but never admit he lost fairly (this was his play in 2016 as well until he won) He will then spend the next 4 years probably still holding rallies to his base where he rants about how it was stolen, how it was fixed etc etc. He'll have what he wants without the headache of actually being the President. He'll drop hints he's going to run again, but chances are he wont. And if he did, well who's to say where the word is in 4 years. People move on very quickly.

Biden I don't think will go after Trump as he'll want people to forget about that  administration and focus on his. But with the mounting legal proceedings in New York and possibly elsewhere, Trump may just leave the country. Tough to see him go back to his old life. He's a bit of a pariah now among the rich and famous he so desperately wants to be a part of. Alternatively, he spends the next few years in legal fight after legal fight and ends up dead or in prison.

Interesting times ahead!

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Do you reckon Trump would agree to leave the White House in return for immunity from any charges that could get brought upon him once he’s gone?

He doesn't have to agree to anything. As of Biden's inauguration in January he ceases to be the President. They'll force him onto that helicopter out of there if needed.

Just now, garynysmon said:

He doesn't have to agree to anything. As of Biden's inauguration in January he ceases to be the President. They'll force him onto that helicopter out of there if needed.

Oh yeah, I get that. I just mean him kicking off about the voter fraud, all the lawsuits he’s planning, going to the Supreme Court and that. Dropping all that in exchange. 

8 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I'm sure he'd take that deal if anyone was offering it to him but I'm not sure they will.

I've read some articles saying he's thinking of giving his inner circle and himself if he can Presidential Pardons clearing him of any chance of prosecution for any wrongdoings committed up to and including his time as President and if he can't then stepping down soon so Pence can pardon him. Most probably made up guff but was with anything involving Trump it can be hard to separate the truth from the bollocks.