Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

Why do referees not get beaten up these days? Security always get it but refs remain untouched. Is it something to do with PG and showing respect to authority?

Probs cos refereeing is a full-time job and most of those guys aren't bumpers, whereas you can easily stick your developmental territory in security shirts for.a night

Probably for the best, Earl Hebner was a well shit bumper

• Paid Members

After a massively contrived period where almost every show featured a ref bump I'd imagine they're going through a phase of none of them so if a ref bump does happen it has more impact. I remember seeing the Trav Vs Masters last man standing match a few years ago and it ended with a single chairshot to the head which stunned everybody in the room, probably because they couldn't remember the last time a match had involved one.

• Paid Members

Yeah but when was the last time there was an intentional ref battering? It's not like they are saving it for a good occasion. Even when Brock went mental after WM31 he killed Cole and a cameraman. No referee was harmed

I was thinking today how good of a nickname the Big Red Machine was for Kane. So evocative and sounds awesome on commentary. I never got used to Big Red Monster despite it being used for much longer and the Devil's Favourite Demon and Demon Kane just seemed a bit strange to me since Kane was never meant to be a demon was he? He was just Undertaker's burnt to a crisp baby brother.

Come to think of it, why did they change from Machine to Monster? I know WWE put a lot of thought into their buzzwords so there must have been some consideration behind it.

I was thinking today how good of a nickname the Big Red Machine was for Kane. So evocative and sounds awesome on commentary. I never got used to Big Red Monster despite it being used for much longer and the Devil's Favourite Demon and Demon Kane just seemed a bit strange to me since Kane was never meant to be a demon was he? He was just Undertaker's burnt to a crisp baby brother.

Come to think of it, why did they change from Machine to Monster? I know WWE put a lot of thought into their buzzwords so there must have been some consideration behind it.

Machine works well as a formidable wrestler, but you're better off with Monster when he's raping Kelly Kelly or murdering his brother etc. Monster is scarier, and they've often wanted Kane to be scary.

The devil's favourite demon thing started I think during that 2010 renaissance where he was trying to kill the Undertaker and usurp him. I feel like this was the time when SmackDown would do long in-ring promos with mood lighting and background music.

Demon Kane works as a good contrast to Corporate Kane, although it's fucking ridiculous when they've got Demon King as one of their other characters.

Machine works well as a formidable wrestler, but you're better off with Monster when he's raping Kelly Kelly or murdering his brother etc. Monster is scarier, and they've often wanted Kane to be scary.

The devil's favourite demon thing started I think during that 2010 renaissance where he was trying to kill the Undertaker and usurp him. I feel like this was the time when SmackDown would do long in-ring promos with mood lighting and background music.

Demon Kane works as a good contrast to Corporate Kane, although it's fucking ridiculous when they've got Demon King as one of their other characters.

I'd totally forgot about Kane's mood lighting and music promos during that run, might have to seek them out on the Network. I remember getting a massive kick out of them at the time because it was something a bit different and harked back to an era of more cartoonish characters. Kane is a dying breed in that regard now we're in what Triple H has coined "the reality era". I wouldn't mind a couple of cartoon gimmicks running round amongst the vanilla grapplers with real sounding names.