Jump to content

All Purpose Weather Moaning Thread (hot weather is class)


Recommended Posts

Posted

Quite messy up here. Not too bad in Ipswich but everything towards the coast and more rural is likely getting a pounding today. They've closed about 30 schools but the kids were disappointed that theirs wasn't one of them. Got woken up however many times by the wind last night. And stupidly booked to have my hair cut tonight so I'll probably end up swimming there.

  • Paid Members
Posted
42 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Winds of 50mph later though, and the channel islands have recorded 100mph already. 

I've been following the news, and friends' posts, coming out of Jersey, and it's scary stuff - a lot of bigger shops closed early yesterday and aren't planning to reopen until this afternoon at the earliest, buses aren't running, the port and airport closed yesterday, so there's no mail or produce getting into the island, the latter is especially an issue after everyone panic bought to stock up ahead of the storm and the closures.

Overnight, wind speeds got over 100mph, there was at least one report of a tornado, hailstones the size of golf balls, trees and lampposts down everywhere, electricity cut off, windows and roofs smashed up, including at the hospital. 40 something people have been put up in hotels because of the amount of damage to their homes, and I know a few people who have had windows shattered by flying debris and roof tiles. There's a video going round of a pier where I once had a summer job, and it's absolutely engulfed by 30-something foot waves. It's worse than anything I've ever seen there.

Posted
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

I've been following the news, and friends' posts, coming out of Jersey, and it's scary stuff - a lot of bigger shops closed early yesterday and aren't planning to reopen until this afternoon at the earliest, buses aren't running, the port and airport closed yesterday, so there's no mail or produce getting into the island, the latter is especially an issue after everyone panic bought to stock up ahead of the storm and the closures.

Overnight, wind speeds got over 100mph, there was at least one report of a tornado, hailstones the size of golf balls, trees and lampposts down everywhere, electricity cut off, windows and roofs smashed up, including at the hospital. 40 something people have been put up in hotels because of the amount of damage to their homes, and I know a few people who have had windows shattered by flying debris and roof tiles. There's a video going round of a pier where I once had a summer job, and it's absolutely engulfed by 30-something foot waves. It's worse than anything I've ever seen there.

Not that I spend too much time here or anything but when I saw the news and the footage from the Channel Islands, my first thought was “Blimey, hope Pats family are ok”

  • Paid Members
Posted
42 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Apart from that though, all good?

Blimey! Stay safe...Jersans and Guernsans?

What you got against Alderneyans and Sarkians?

  • Paid Members
Posted
7 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Jersey > Guernsey, especially since Le Tiss went mental.

Makes you think.

At least Le Saux hasn't gone the full Icke.

  • Paid Members
Posted
44 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Not that I spend too much time here or anything but when I saw the news and the footage from the Channel Islands, my first thought was “Blimey, hope Pats family are ok”

thankfully, I have no family over there any more, but much appreciated all the same!

I've spoken to a few friends this morning - a lot of clean-up jobs to be done, a few broken windows and a lot of sleepless nights, but touch wood nobody hurt.

  • 1 month later...
  • Paid Members
Posted

It was very rainy and windy yesterday, I almost thought I might have had to put long pants on, but it's still mild enough that I could wear shorts. It's definitely calmer so far today. Interestingly we have a book on the pub "library" bookcase by an author called Gerritsen, which is either Scandinavian, or a Chas & Dave b-side. 

Posted (edited)

We are in Huddersfield at my mum and dads for Christmas and I've never seen wind like it. It's still howling away. I hope everyone is keeping safe..... And I hope my fence is still up when I get home as I hear it's quite bad there too.

Edited by deathrey
Posted
26 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Absolutely shit it down here today. 28mm. Woof. 

Honestly, after the shirt nonce / football thread mix up, I’m  not sure if this was actually meant for the shitting thread and you’ve been measuring your arse gravy. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...