kebab chat

air_raid

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I just had regular, normal, boring everyday donner meat and chips for my tea, despite being stone cold sober. Anyone else succumb to the desire for dirty kebabs though not a drop of alcohol has passed their lips?

I mean, true, I'm virtually crying into my Vimto with self-loathing and knowledge that I'll always be plump and never shag girls again, but at least I'm sober.

I just had regular, normal, boring everyday donner meat and chips for my tea, despite being stone cold sober. Anyone else succumb to the desire for dirty kebabs though not a drop of alcohol has passed their lips?

I mean, true, I'm virtually crying into my Vimto with self-loathing and knowledge that I'll always be plump and never shag girls again, but at least I'm sober.

Well I don't drink so it's always eaten sober. Funnily enough, when I did drink, I would more often than not just get chips in pitta, what a waste!

• Paid Members

For much of my late-teens and early twenties, every Sunday night I'd go over to my mate Ben's and we'd get a doner for tea, alcohol free.

I've had hundreds of sober doners, and could probably count on one hand the number of drunk ones.

• Paid Members

I only ever hit a kebab sober these days, considering my tendency to have awful hangover's these days i no longer risk a kebab at the end of the night because it just adds to hell in the morning. It's a different feel sober but i do enjoy it.

How is lamb/chicken doner meat actually produced though? My local kebab shop now has some kind of sign up stating that the lamb doner they use is something like 34% lamb, it then lists the other animals bunged in. What's it all about?

• Paid Members

There used to be a takeaway in Mansfield that did a gorgeous mixed shish. I used to have it pretty plain, just meat, pitta and a shed load of mayo.

The mayo would react with the coating on the meat and it would all meld together into a meaty loveliness. Alas they were taking over by some chavvy types that looked like McKenzie Crook and then they were shut down for a lack of cleanliness.

• Paid Members

I do enjoy a donner (salad & garlic sauce).

I prefer a chicken parmo.

Well over a decade I've been hearing about these parmoes. One day I'll have one.

Just go into one of your local NY Italian joints and ask for Chicken Parmegiano. Same thing, frigging lovely.

Didsbury is a bit shite for Kebeb shops. Have to drive into longsight for a good, cheap one with a hygene rating that does not give you the shits just by looking at it.

Nice kebab shop in Heaton Moor, but damn expensive. Good for a treat though.

• Paid Members

I do enjoy a donner (salad & garlic sauce).

I prefer a chicken parmo.

Well over a decade I've been hearing about these parmoes. One day I'll have one.

Just go into one of your local NY Italian joints and ask for Chicken Parmegiano. Same thing, frigging lovely.

It isn't. Parmegiano has tomato sauce/marinara, not bechamel.

• Paid Members

How is lamb/chicken doner meat actually produced though? My local kebab shop now has some kind of sign up stating that the lamb doner they use is something like 34% lamb, it then lists the other animals bunged in. What's it all about?

If you're talking about regular lamb doner, the stuff that looks like an elephant's leg on a skewer, that's mechanically recovered. They basically steam meat off the carcass and scrape it into a big pile which they then season and shape.

Here's what it looks like raw (the stuff on the table):

Making-doner-kebabs-001.jpg

Good places, like the ones I mentioned near me, make it "yaprak" (or "leaf") style, i.e. thin "leaves" of cut meat that have been properly marinated and stacked on the skewer.

As for chicken, I don't think I've ever seen anyone do mechanically-recovered chicken doner meat - pretty sure it's only possible to do yaprak.

• Paid Members
Didsbury is a bit shite for Kebeb shops. Have to drive into longsight for a good, cheap one with a hygene rating that does not give you the shits just by looking at it.

You drive into Longsight??? You're a braver man than me.

Archived