Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

Finally went to see Rogue One last night. Amazing film made even more special by my four year old son projectile vomiting all over himself, my coat that he'd wrapped around himself as a cushion, in to my wife's handbag, all over the floor where he'd placed his shoes and the back of the seat infront of him where fortunately nobody was sitting. After he'd finished recreating assorted scenes from The Exorcist my wife then passes him over to me like a bomb with the timer still ticking, sick still dribbling from his face and a puke soaked Furby in his hand to get him out of the cinema and cleaned up.

Ā 

I missed the ten minutes leading up to the beach battle due to trying to wrangle the manager and someone with a strong stomach to help clean up the chunky puddle that was now trickling from row K in to row J and me getting bits of part-digested Cheeselet and Malteasers out of a Furby. The boy was right as rain the second he'd stopped spraying and seemed more embarrassed at being offered a drink of water than making an entire cinema smell of the contents of his gut. We spent the rest of the film sat at the front with him on my knee, a small plastic bowl wedged under his chin just incase and our sick coated belongings in a black bin bag given to me by the manager. 7/10.

• Paid Members

Cobra, I've been thinking about taking my 4 (almost 5) year old to see it as he loves the others- he is absolutely engrossed in The Force Awakens whenever he watches it. However, everyone I have spoken to has said that Rogue One is a bit darker than the others and probably not great for young children. What do you think, did your son enjoy the film (post-vomit, that is)?

Once the dust (or rather, vomit) had settled, the general consensus from all the kids (I took my 8 year old son and 12 year old daughter aswell) was that they really enjoyed it but we'd all watched the original Robocop together yesterday morning so not sure they're the ideal barometer for their age ranges. I say take him, especially if he's already seen the others. Yes it's a bit glum at times but there's plenty of action toĀ take his mind off itĀ and the last 30 minutes is utter spectacle, I reckon he'll love it.

Edited by cobra_gordo

• Awards Moderator

Every child is different but I think near-5 is too young. There are several death scenes, and they are lingered on. Force Awakens has a fizzy, exciting tone whereas Rogue One has a sense of impending doom about it.

Ā 

Pretty puzzled by letting a 4 year old watch Robocop tbh.

Each to their own I guess but I was raised on action movies from the same age and I turned out alrightish. Not everyone's kids are the same, that was my point. My kids understand that it's all pretend and are intelligent enough to graspĀ that the blood isn't real, that someone isn't actually dying on screen.

I've beenĀ building props as a hobby for yearsĀ and involved my kids since a young age (my 8 year old is currently working on a Predator costume for himself with me) and I've explained the technical aspect to them, they know what blood packs and squibs areĀ and as theyĀ understand that side of things it's neverĀ bothered them. Never let any of my kids watch really scary horror stuff though and I did fast forwarded the melty face scene in Robocop because I'm not a complete monster.

In total fairness, I watched films like Robocop and Terminator 2 as a kid......although I wouldn't let my kid watch anything like that, so each to their own.

Ā 

From what I've heard rouge one is not suitable for kids at all, but up to you hah.Ā 

• Paid Members

Yeah, I definitely remember watching Terminator and many other Arnie films as a kid (and didn't turn out bad), but I wouldn't allow the same for my kids.

Ā 

I've had a word with a few people at work and they've said Rogue One might not be best for young kids, so I think I'll pass and wait until it's out on DVD and watch it first. It's not so much about it being darker to be honest, because at the end of the day it's Star Wars so I know there won't be anything really unsuitable, it's more a case of him being a bit bored if it isn't as 'fizzy and exciting' (as Onyx put it best) as the others.

• Moderators

It's weird what will upset kids and what won't. I let my little cousin watch total recall with me when he was really young and he loved it. The next day I took him to see the Dennis the menace film in the cinema and he was scared shitless by the burglar in that and we had to take him out of there.

• Paid Members

My dad showed me Dirty Harry when I was 6 and I turned out ok! But yeah, I wouldn't be showing an 8 year old Robocop, but each to their own.

Ā 

I agree that it's odd what upsets you as a kid. I was never bothered by that much violent stuff when I was a kid but of all the stupid films to be disturbed by, it was Jaws The Revenge that bothered me most when I saw it but only for the scene where that bloke gets his arm bitten off.

• Paid Members

It isn't, it is 'bolognese'

Ā 

Just found this from a few days ago and feel massively vindicated.

Ā 

A couple of weeks ago, I was in a pub with a group of work friends and commented upon the fact the chalkboard read "bolognaise" and wondered aloud if I'd been wrong all my life with "bolognese".

Ā 

Every single one of them agreed that I had, and I was roundly mocked for it.

Ā 

It's only seeing this that has prompted me to google it, and I am fucking right.

Ā 

You've made my Christmas, Ian 86.

• Paid Members

I can't remember, was Mickey Hazard any good as a player, or did I just convince myself that he was mustard because my Champ Man '94 strategy of loading the team with old players who I could forcibly retire at the end of the first season always included him, because he was ace and very versatile? I looked him up on wikipedia, and found that he didn't even get any u21 caps. Also got excited because I misread the last bit, and thought he'd got a role on the backroom staff for Chigley.