Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

• Paid Members

I made a casual comment to a colleague at work this morning about myself going to see Bill Burr next Saturday. Apparently, he too is a fan and was going to try and buy tickets to the show for himself.

He's now spent the last 40 minutes having a go at me about the 'liberal media' and their agendas and what not. Loads of terms such as 'virtue signalling', 'SJW' and 'cuck' being thrown around. He ended the tirade with a, "I'm not a Donal Trump fan but...".

Seriously reconsidering my membership to the Bill Burr fanclub right now.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members

I can't find the off-topic questions thread anywhere, and after wondering why no one had answered and realising i'd posted this in the wrestling questions thread by accident, this is the best place I can think of for now...

Hey folks.

One for you tech bods! My works computer, spec below..

Early 2008 iMac 

Processor: 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Memory: 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB Hard Drive: 500 GB SATA Disk

Still performs very well, but it seems to have aged out in terms of not supporting iOS beyond Yosemite 10.10.

This is causing a problem, because I can't install creative cloud or Office 365 due to them not being supported by the old operating system, and so it needs to be replaced.

Without trying hard at all, I found this available from John Lewis - in terms of comparable spec, it looks like this...

Processor: 7th-generation dual-core Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 Hard Drive: 1TB

At a grand though, it's a lot of money (i'd rather stay with a Mac because it's what I use personally, so im more familiar with finding my way round it) but I wondered whether the uplight in performance and longevity was significant? i'd like to think that's a machine that would last a good 5 years at least - or if anyone could recommend a solid "off the shelf" machine that would cope well with creative work, InDesign, Photoshop, video editing etc?

Thanks in advance!

I was walking home from work the other day when this bloody thing ran across my path:

gambar-musang.jpg

The one I saw was bright orange which made it even more strange. At first, I thought it was a ferret, but then I remembered where I was - Indonesia - and thought how lucky I was to see one of the reclusive luwaks/musangs in person. They're the animals that eat the coffee beans, and it's not often you get to spot one of the fuckers while going about your business. 

49 minutes ago, John Matrix said:

I can't find the off-topic questions thread anywhere, and after wondering why no one had answered and realising i'd posted this in the wrestling questions thread by accident, this is the best place I can think of for now...

Hey folks.

One for you tech bods! My works computer, spec below..

Early 2008 iMac 

Processor: 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Memory: 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB Hard Drive: 500 GB SATA Disk

Still performs very well, but it seems to have aged out in terms of not supporting iOS beyond Yosemite 10.10.

This is causing a problem, because I can't install creative cloud or Office 365 due to them not being supported by the old operating system, and so it needs to be replaced.

Without trying hard at all, I found this available from John Lewis - in terms of comparable spec, it looks like this...

Processor: 7th-generation dual-core Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 Hard Drive: 1TB

At a grand though, it's a lot of money (i'd rather stay with a Mac because it's what I use personally, so im more familiar with finding my way round it) but I wondered whether the uplight in performance and longevity was significant? i'd like to think that's a machine that would last a good 5 years at least - or if anyone could recommend a solid "off the shelf" machine that would cope well with creative work, InDesign, Photoshop, video editing etc?

Thanks in advance!

Does it have to be an iMac or would a normal laptop do?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

Does it have to be an iMac or would a normal laptop do?

Not necessarily chief.  Although im so conditioned to them these days, I'd be afraid of reverting to caveman status if I were using windows these days, but definately a desktop machine rather than a laptop.

• Paid Members

Me and the Mrs decided yesterday to finally decorate the two bedroom flat we've lived in for the past 3 years as with us planning to start a family after the wedding we'll be here for the long run. We went out tonight right after work and spent £70 in B&Q on paints and accessories for the kitchen/living room, only to get home and find a letter saying our rent is going up £20 a month. It's a big enough rise as it is, but the rent was about £460 when we moved in so it's creeped up tremendously over 3 years.

With our rent now for a two bedroom flat (which is basically a bathroom, two medium sized bedrooms, and a open plan kitchen/living room) coming to £503, we've decided to fuck it off and look for a house as round here for a fairly good area you're looking at less or the same roughly.

We don't want to rent privately as the plan is to rent long term as we save to buy so we want security, so we're looking to transfer through Thirteen Group (council housing we're with). Is this as easy as saying "we would like to live in this area, please transfer us" or is more complicated than that? We know the area we want to move to as it's close to family for when we do have kids, but with council houses as opposed to flats, we're under the assumptions single mums and those on benefits and whatnot get first dibs?

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Me and the Mrs decided yesterday to finally decorate the two bedroom flat we've lived in for the past 3 years as with us planning to start a family after the wedding we'll be here for the long run. We went out tonight right after work and spent £70 in B&Q on paints and accessories for the kitchen/living room, only to get home and find a letter saying our rent is going up £20 a month. It's a big enough rise as it is, but the rent was about £460 when we moved in so it's creeped up tremendously over 3 years.

With our rent now for a two bedroom flat (which is basically a bathroom, two medium sized bedrooms, and a open plan kitchen/living room) coming to £503, we've decided to fuck it off and look for a house as round here for a fairly good area you're looking at less or the same roughly.

We don't want to rent privately as the plan is to rent long term as we save to buy so we want security, so we're looking to transfer through Thirteen Group (council housing we're with). Is this as easy as saying "we would like to live in this area, please transfer us" or is more complicated than that? We know the area we want to move to as it's close to family for when we do have kids, but with council houses as opposed to flats, we're under the assumptions single mums and those on benefits and whatnot get first dibs?

Depends how they run their waiting list and how they allocate properties. Just had a look and they are choice based lettings, so you can bid on the properties you want and they will be allocated to the person who bids that has the highest need. Two beds are currently the most in demand, followed by 3 so you might find yourself waiting a long time for one in a specific area as you'll be seen as quite far down the pecking order. 

Further on to @chokeout's reply, my wife used to work for Thirteen and I had a quick word with her this morning about your situation.

The fact that you are in a Thirteen property already will be at your advantage providing that you are paying rent on time and not wrecking the property. As Chokeout said there is a bidding process and you should have your login details still from when you got your flat three years ago.

There are four different levels of criteria which determines the urgency of an applicant to be rehomed, with category 1 will be people who are homeless or in a vulnerable position, down to category 4 which is low priority. You will be more than likely be in this category, but that does not diminish your chances of getting the house that you want you may have to wait a while however.

If your other half becomes pregnant that would not change your priority. Thirteen's policy is that 2 bedrooms is adequate room for 2 adults and a child. Even if you have a second child they would deem 2 bedrooms are satisfactory until your eldest child reaches 11 years old and that you have a boy and a girl.

New properties become available on a weekly basis which you can bid for. Say if a house in either Fairfield, Acklam or another 'desirable' area comes up, you will probably see about 300 bids on the property and you will have virtually no chance of getting it. Whereas houses in Port Clarence (you would have to be fucking desperate), Hardwick or Berwick Hills will only have a dozen or so bids and you will have a much better chance of landing a house. You will get a response from Thirteen either saying viewing granted or no viewing granted. It will also tell you what rank of viewing you have. So say you were 3rd viewing, if the two people before you don't like the property and you and your partner do then you will be awarded the house. If anyone above you in priority does like it, then you are back to square one.

Be realistic on where you are happy to live and you could find a house within six weeks. If you ring the helpline or speak to your housing officer they will be able to give you the best advice on what to do.

Thirteen have also got let to buy schemes for new-builds in the area so you may want to look into that. I have bought a 3 bedroom house privately in a nice area of Stockton and currently paying £600 a month.

Drop me a PM if you have any more questions.

• Paid Members

So we borrowed this DVD off the in-laws this weekend.  

71xpsMITbhL._SY500_.jpg

Lovely ennit?  And it's every bit as awful as you'd imagine, filmed on a shoestring budget with local drama school kids and a presenter so corny, it's like he's parodying Cbeebies.

Turns out the kids LOVED IT!!  They were singing along, dancing, the works, the most peace we've had in ages, and then....

AND THEN....THIS comes on. 

I don't want to spoil it, suffice to say, take two minutes today to watch this (you'll need sound).  The last verse is FUCKING SPECTACULAR!!!  You'll be tempted to skip straight to it and find out if i'm over egging the pudding here.  Don't.  I promise you, you won't see what's coming and when you do... well I don't want to spoil it for you but there's a moment where your heart sinks and you think..."Oh god!  Surely not"... you'll know exactly what's about to happen, and even then you won't believe it does....but it does.