Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

• Paid Members

Didn't they have the Toxic Crusader and Bill and Ted cartoons at one point too? Their weekend/school holiday kid's programming was a joy in the day...

Yeah BBC had Killer Tomatoes, think ITV had Toxie. Agree that 4 were kings of school holidays, I remember one line up had Tintin, 60’s Batman, Sesame Street, Pugwall then finished with the newer Pink Panther show where Pink talked

*edit* just looked it up, Toxie actually aired on the long defunct The Children’s Channel, which went on to become Trouble in 98

Edited by RIDDUM_N_STYLE

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Yeah BBC had Killer Tomatoes, think ITV had Toxie. Agree that 4 were kings of school holidays, I remember one line up had Tintin, 60’s Batman, Sesame Street, Pugwall then finished with the newer Pink Panther show where Pink talked

*edit* just looked it up, Toxie actually aired on the long defunct The Children’s Channel, which went on to become Trouble in 98

I'm pretty sure ITV had Toxie as well because I didnt have Sky or Cable until years later and definitely saw it.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Yeah Channel 4 were the kings of school holiday telly. I remember one year they had the short lived New Kids on the Block cartoon on and the California Raisins too 

Ah, I remember the NKOTB cartoon! Biscuit was their head bouncer wasn't he? Also their real life head of security.

5 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Biscuit was their head bouncer wasn't he? Also their real life head of security.

And released a song based on Free's All Right Now about Biscuit being in da house.  (Fucks sake, why do I know shit like this?)

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Toxic Crusaders was I think on the 8:15 from Manchester initially.

i remember one summer ITV showed James Bond Jr and the New Adventures of He-Man. Fuck that!

channel 4 also used to show Bug Juice and Boy Meets World. Classic times

CITV trolling the entire child population of the UK by running Maxi's World (or whatever the fuck it was called) before Power Rangers. Get to fuck. Some kind of blonde high school girl driving around in a jeep and "adventures" like camouflaging spots on your face with tuna. (WTF). They ran the same episode two days in a row once. Torture. When is it morphin' time, assholes? 

That Children's Channel was fair depressing. All I remember it showing was the same few episodes of Adam West Batman, Art Attack and Gigantor.

We had cable here back then for a while and I remember getting up one Saturday morning and TCC had been miraculously replaced by Nickelodeon, with the likes of Renford Rejects, Alex Mack, Kenan and Kel and Are You Afraid of the Dark. Between that and Fifa 98 I became a right fat little fucker that summer.

Holiday Channel 4 was a close second after Nickelodeon though. Boy Meets World, City Guys (great theme!) Malibu CA, and even proper guff like USA High.

• Paid Members

The Children's Channel (TCC?) was proper shit. Nickelodeon pissed all over it as soon as it came along, even in the earlier days with Weenerville and SPLAT! Did TCC end up becoming Trouble? When they had Engels shows galore plus Fresh Prince, it was a million miles better.

1 hour ago, DCW said:

Holiday Channel 4 was a close second after Nickelodeon though. Boy Meets World, City Guys (great theme!) Malibu CA, and even proper guff like USA High.

C-I-T-Y you can see why, these guys, the new guys, smart and street wise. 

I wont hear a bad word about USA High. Blatant cash in on the popularity of Saved By The Bell but I still loved it. I haven’t watched for nearly 20 so you’re probably right about it being shit. 

Edited by wordsfromlee

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Why Don’t You? was ultimate school holiday telly. A pre-Brookside Jacqui Dixon growling at you in her white shell suit.

Remember when Jacqui Dixon went lesbian in "Brookside" that time? It's stuck in my brain whenever I think of "Brookie".

EDITED: Wrong woman. Was Jacqui CORKHILL.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, PunkStep said:

The Children's Channel (TCC?) was proper shit. Nickelodeon pissed all over it as soon as it came along, even in the earlier days with Weenerville and SPLAT! Did TCC end up becoming Trouble? When they had Engels shows galore plus Fresh Prince, it was a million miles better.

TCC  was ace in like 1989-1990. Not as good as DJ Kat, but the novelty of a kids only service made it seem better than it probably was. That and I was 5. 

It became Trouble in something like 1997, I think.

Edited by PowerButchi