Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

• Paid Members

We have this tiny communal garden out the back of our block of flats that yutes have been using to smoke and also deal weed. I personally have no issue with this as they're always perfectly polite about hawking their products but some of the people (which is actually most of the people) who live in the residential block are losing their shit about it, despite the fact that absolutley nobody ever actually uses the communal garden since it consists of a bench, a bin and a large rock, surrounding by a padlocked fence. I think the issue is that a lot of the people that moved into this and the surrounding blocks aren't from around here. They're people who moved into London from somewhere else and so if they see what they consider to be an intimidating group of black dudes smoking weed in the communal garden, they freak out.

I've been out there a couple times and told the guys that some of the residents aren't so keen on their presence, especially when the smell of weed rises up into people's windows. And they were totally understanding about it and moved on. But of course, they tend to come back. This is a classic example of youths having nowhere to go.

So the plan by the residents was a mixture of erecting massive security gates, installing all sorts of CCTV and - this is the best bit - everybody goes down to the garden and hangs out there drinking tea as a deterrent.

Well, it turns out the residents (well, most of them) and the youths get along just famously. Turns out that, rather than freaking out, demanding the residential blocks be turned into prisons and calling the cops every time a young, black man smokes a joint in the immediate vicinity, tea and dialogue solved the whole problem. Also it allowed certain residents to find a local connect for their weed. Everybody wins!

I just thought that was a nice story.

Ā 

Ā 

• Awards Moderator
5 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

i find the silicone ones to be better, they don't fall out as much and shape to your ears betterĀ 

Iā€™m the opposite, couldnā€™t get the hang of them, they kept falling out and didnā€™t keep the noise out as well! Maybe I was just too tired to be doing it right but the foam ones are great for me. Roll em up, stick em in, rawhide.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/howard-leight-laser-lite-35db-ear-plugs-200-pairs/38688?tc=IA2&ds_kid=92700024701659447&ds_rl=1249484&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3eu48_3w3QIVyrztCh2a8womEAQYASABEgLPPPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CNjAsfr98N0CFQU-GwodT8wEzA

These are the daddy of all earplugs, once you wear these you never go back. You can get a box of 100 for 8quid on ebay. Ive been wearing earplugs day and night for most of my life due to Misophonia and these help loads.

• Paid Members

I know how weird it sounds but due to not really liking the feeling of anything on my face or in my ears due to the fact it feels abnormal (I seriously wish I could live a boring life) I can't wear eye masks or wear ear buds as I feel super uncomfortable about it and it raises my anxiety making me more alert and awake. Its a actual nightmare.

Anyone on here a mechanic/any good with cars? Went out to the car after work today and the bastard thing won't start. Put the key in the ignition and turn it, all the electrics come on but the engine doesn't even make a single sound (no turning over etc). The immobiliser light is showing on the dashboard too. I've tried both keys and I'm having the same issue with both.Ā 

Anyone had any experience of something similar or know how to fix it?

12 minutes ago, Divorced Dad said:

Anyone on here a mechanic/any good with cars? Went out to the car after work today and the bastard thing won't start. Put the key in the ignition and turn it, all the electrics come on but the engine doesn't even make a single sound (no turning over etc). The immobiliser light is showing on the dashboard too. I've tried both keys and I'm having the same issue with both.Ā 

Anyone had any experience of something similar or know how to fix it?

You've answered your own question there. As for how to fix it, that depends massively on the car. You need to either tow it to a garage or get someone out to look at it.

It's a Suzuki SX4. I called my breakdown out earlier but they just said it's a problem with the key and car not talking to each other and therefore the key isn't disabling the immobiliser. Thought I'd probably need to give a garage a call tomorrow and get it towed away and seen to.Ā 

• Paid Members

I learned from this article today that David Boreanaz has been the male lead of a television series every year since 1997. I was a big Angel mark, but never watched Bones or anything else starring him since Angel, but that's some TV career he's had.