Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

• Paid Members

One of our cats - Hera - had a little of four kittens about two years ago. We kept the calico one (Mia), the tabby (Moira) went to my girlfriend's best friend, the ginger and white one (Merlin) went to her other best friend and the black and white one, who I called Cow in place of naming him properly before he was given away, became Bubba and lives with my mum.

My girlfriend and her friend who had Merlin went away to Austria for the week. They just got back today. Before my girlfriend got back, her friend (who lives very close to the airport and thus got home much faster) called me, crying her eyes out, barely able to get her words out. Turns out, while she was away, Merlin went missing for like two days and her dad found him literally just as she returned from the airport. He was dead, having been hit by a car.

I feel so bad for her, she's so upset - just want to give her a big hug (but she's not here and, anyway, we don't have that kind of relationship) but it's kind of weird because it almost feels like a death in the family. We have Merlin's mother, father and sister here and I know cats don't give a fuck, but it's very sad. Poor thing was only just over two years old. Now my girlfriend and her friend are on the phone to each other, just crying and consoling. It's sad.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

One of our cats - Hera - had a little of four kittens about two years ago. We kept the calico one (Mia), the tabby (Moira) went to my girlfriend's best friend, the ginger and white one (Merlin) went to her other best friend and the black and white one, who I called Cow in place of naming him properly before he was given away, became Bubba and lives with my mum.

My girlfriend and her friend who had Merlin went away to Austria for the week. They just got back today. Before my girlfriend got back, her friend (who lives very close to the airport and thus got home much faster) called me, crying her eyes out, barely able to get her words out. Turns out, while she was away, Merlin went missing for like two days and her dad found him literally just as she returned from the airport. He was dead, having been hit by a car.

I feel so bad for her, she's so upset - just want to give her a big hug (but she's not here and, anyway, we don't have that kind of relationship) but it's kind of weird because it almost feels like a death in the family. We have Merlin's mother, father and sister here and I know cats don't give a fuck, but it's very sad. Poor thing was only just over two years old. Now my girlfriend and her friend are on the phone to each other, just crying and consoling. It's sad.

It's gutting when any animal dies, but when it is a baby/new pet it is heartbreaking. 

My son(14 now) had the worst luck with pets as a kid. His mum loved West Highland Terriers so decided to get one for their family home. 2 weeks after getting him, he died. They quickly got another one that turned out was bred and sold by a complete cunt who had neglected the puppy, and that died 3 days later. Then, a third got ravaged by another dog a month after they took him home.

It's really affected him as he is afraid to get close(emotionally) to animals now in case he is left heartbroken again...

14 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Does anybody know anything about KODI? Anybody know any good movie addons for it? I switched it on for the first time in months last night and nothing worked. Thanks a lot.

Give me a pm and I can talk you through it. Kodi isn't the best but there's loads of options available elsewhere.

• Paid Members

I'll do that.

Another point though just now, it's really sad seeing the grey hairs going quicker and quicker. Even one side of my eyebrows have went. It'll be a zimmer next, Uncle Baz on a fucking zimmer trudging through town. Urghhh.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

5 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

I'll do that.

Another point though just now, it's really sad seeing the grey hairs going quicker and quicker. Even one side of my eyebrows have went. It'll be a zimmer next, Uncle Baz on a fucking zimmer trudging through town. Urghhh.

Nah, you'll be dead before then, possibly from AIDS.

• Paid Members

That’s a terrible situation SB. The problem could be she’ll hate herself for not reaching out before it was too late. She shouldn’t feel that way of course, but the opportunity has been taken from her. 

I fell out with my parents a few years back. I’m ok with that choice and if anything like that happened to them, i’d think I’d cop well. But everyone is different.

the best thing you can be doing is just being there for her and supporting her if necessary. I just hope she doesn’t beat herself thinking about whatever could have been

I echo Hannibals thoughts. 

Similar situation to myself, except it's my mum I decided to break contact with (10 years ago), and I'm unsure how I will feel when she dies. I'm very far removed from that side of the family so I don't feel anything towards them now. They're essentially strangers. Difficult to guage though. 

Bacon, what makes you so sure it bothers her deep down? 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Thunderplex said:

Just come back from a weekend away to find we have been raided by slugs.  Front hall looks like Peter Norths been visiting.

Thankfully only in the garden. But we’ve had no rain here and I saw about 5

On 7/15/2018 at 12:05 PM, Steve Justice said:

I echo Hannibals thoughts. 

Similar situation to myself, except it's my mum I decided to break contact with (10 years ago), and I'm unsure how I will feel when she dies. I'm very far removed from that side of the family so I don't feel anything towards them now. They're essentially strangers. Difficult to guage though. 

Bacon, what makes you so sure it bothers

@Hannibal Scorch@Chest Rockwell

Edited by SuperBacon
Had to edit