Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

On 5/12/2018 at 8:46 PM, Silky Kisser said:

Back at it again. Should have tucked my  chin on that last bump. Bails and baby Grinds at Ramp World. 

That's cool, I've been thinking of getting back into skateboarding but the whole age thing has been creeping in my mind. I've seen those Penny boards are selling cheap atm too.

28 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

That's cool, I've been thinking of getting back into skateboarding but the whole age thing has been creeping in my mind. I've seen those Penny boards are selling cheap atm too.

I'm 38 in a couple of months and I have been skating off and on the past couple of years. If the weather is good on a Saturday or Sunday morning I go to the local skate park at 7 in the morning. I find if I go there in the afternoon it's full of little kids on scooters. Most of the penny boards are fairly terrible, because the trucks are plastic and the bearings are cheap. You're better off getting a  decent complete set-up or buying the bits and putting your own together.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Do it! 

I don't know if it's just inline skating, but I see on FB and Reddit that many over 30's are getting back into it.. Midlife crisis maybe? 

Anyways, I went to the local skate park last Friday and ran into 2 lads in their 30's who had gotten back into it recently too. We had a bit of a chat and skated for about an hour. It was great fun meeting some new people are talking a little shop. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

6 hours ago, Rey_Piste said:

You're better off getting a  decent complete set-up or buying the bits and putting your own together.

See I thought that too, I was thinking of building one using a Habitat x Twin Peaks deck but these Penny Nickel boards are £35 down from over 100 and will do me for the casual cruise and the odd attempt at a trick (oo err).

My midlife crisis began a couple years back when I started wearing Docs again and looking like a This Is England reject crossed with a black metal fan, this is just a continuation.

2 hours ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Brilliant. That makes me feel better about the time I wiped my bum with a Domestos Bleach Wipe thinking it was a Water Wipe.

Holy FUCK, I bet that was sore.

One of the other absolute bell ends that live with me put all the loose dishwasher tablets in an empty laundry tablet packet. Luckily, the plastic coating (packet?) of the tablet didn't break so it wasn't too bad, otherwise as @PunkStep said, they'd have been gleaming with with a shiny FINISH...

Let's see what joys Friday brings...

4 hours ago, Merzbow said:

See I thought that too, I was thinking of building one using a Habitat x Twin Peaks deck but these Penny Nickel boards are £35 down from over 100 and will do me for the casual cruise and the odd attempt at a trick (oo err).

The Nickel boards are decent, because they aren't as small as a normal Penny board. They're not great for doing tricks on though, due to the shape of them. The combination of their width, no nose and lack of a concave make them very difficult to do anything with.

• Paid Members

I was in the office kitchen making coffee earlier and some guy was on the phone to someone else talking about "gold painted midgets". So, when I went back into our offices, I asked who works in the office next to the kitchen and it turns out its Beardyman.

Just had this from the girls school and cannot stop thinking of the Brass Eye episode on drugs

Dear Parents/ Carers

We have been made aware that cake was being offered to children in the playground after school (not as part of the cake sale where parents buy cakes for their children)

As a number of our children suffer from severe food allergies, we need to emphasise that cakes or sweets are not to be distributed to children in the playground.

School Office

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Those bloody Czechoslovakians, coming over here and giving our kids neck.

I heard there was a Russian guy in the woods in New Jersey somewhere who killed eight of 'em.