Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

We have a Korean fast food chain here called Lotteria which is part of Lotte a huge Korean company. They basically rip off McDonalds and KFC combined into one atrocious restaurant. Most stuff is either a dryer version what you get in the American chains and I only eat there if i'm passing through a backwater town where the only options are local dishwater soup or cat hotpot (the former is me being dramatic the second is genuine). 

Anyway on one occasion I wanted a drink and a snack to keep me going, saw on the menu they had what was called popcorn chicken/coke combo. I expected those little bits of popcorn chicken and a coke on a small plate or something. What I got was an over-sized bowl of coke with some sort of domed lid which inside had a mesh holding the  chicken just below the coke line so it was marinating in my drink. I did give it a try and it was so fucking wrong I binned it and got back on my way. 

• Paid Members

I think it's a local protocol thing. They have Lotteria in Japan, and it's really good. Plus from what I hear from my friends, McDonald's there is way better than it is in the UK or even the US.

It's mainly because the Japanese customer base is really demanding when it comes to food. Any business putting out what most fast food franchises do here will go out of business pretty quickly.

• Paid Members

If any norf Londoners fancy a change of pace from the football on Thursday, White Hart Comedy returns with our first show since early June (our space was being used to screen World Cup group games). This week we have Michael Capozzola headlining, who is a very funny American comedian. And we just added Brian Marlow, a US-pro comedian who was in the country to perform at Backyard Comedy (and see Queen) and is a mate of Michael's, so he's going to do a set for us, too.

This is all for free (and in support of Noah's Ark Children's Hospice) on Thursday. I've met a couple of ya already, would be nice to meet more London UKFFers!

https://www.facebook.com/events/506501626449627/

• Paid Members

Gill is female - and a lovely, very innocent, kind hearted person at that - but is very chic and upmarket in everything she does, wears and eats. Today - in this searing heat - she's wearing a scarf and leather trousers with oddly shaped Christian Dior sunglasses resting on the back of her neck.

I can't imagine her - nor anybody else - liking or enjoying Smashed Avocado in Yoghurt. I would imagine she eats it because it's deemed a cosmopolitan thing to do and somebody from Love Island or Gwyneth Paltrow has recently been spotted eating it.

My mates girlfriend is all about smashed avocado at the moment. Practically her whole Instagram feed is of smashed avocado on toast. But not just any toast, sourdough toast, and you know it’s sourdough toast because she’s constantly emphasising the sourdough toast-ness of the sourdough toast

On 7/3/2018 at 6:22 PM, Carbomb said:

I think it's a local protocol thing. They have Lotteria in Japan, and it's really good. Plus from what I hear from my friends, McDonald's there is way better than it is in the UK or even the US.

It's mainly because the Japanese customer base is really demanding when it comes to food. Any business putting out what most fast food franchises do here will go out of business pretty quickly.

Good point the Vietnamese customer base are still learning as r information what good foreign food is really but they know their shit on the local food if you get taken out. McDonald's started here in 2014 just after my arrival and the first restaurant was being run by top execs for a month or so. The food was awesome then always hit and fresh but a few years on it's somewhere between that and UK quality.