Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

• Awards Moderator
12 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

Mind blown.

Can confirm, was in a McDonald's having a soss mcmuffin (best thing they sell by a country acre) just this morning self-serving and noticed the QTY + / - buttons while I ordered.

I saw something on Facebook, yeah I know, that went something along the lines of "You order your fast food on a screen, use self service checkouts (and a few more automated things) and you blame immigrants for taking all the jobs".  I know it doesn't sound nice but I never clear my table at a fast food chain, it's McEconomics.  We order it ourselves and clear it away, thus saving them having to employ front of house staff.  You're doing people out of a job by being tidy!

• Paid Members

Asda have self scanning at our local store now- you take a handset and beep whenever you put something in the trolley.

It's bloody great, no more queuing up at the checkout, no putting shit on the conveyor belt and no more battles with the checkout staff- who try to throw your stuff at you quicker than you can pack. It's a godsend.

1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Then it's an unnecessary job. We shouldn't be creating pointless jobs for the sake of it. That's the whole point of all the discussions around universal basic income and changing the model.

I do agree to a large extent, technology is evolving and a lot of jobs become obsolete as a result.  I guess it's the difference between fast food and a sit down meal.

• Paid Members

Was at our local Morrisons last night, their self scan has video cameras with a flat screen monitor filming your every move, and you can see yourself in action. I assume it's to put you off nicking stuff. It's not pleasant when you have been grafting, you're covered in paint, muck and other shit, nip in to get a sandwich and you're greeted with your own mug close up looking like an apocalypse.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

I'm lord of the self service. Now I've weaned myself onto contactless, I can do a basketload in under a minute.

They should put bollards up to stop people with trolleys, or have specific trolley self service areas. Blocking the gangway and taking up two tills is not cool, bro.

I agree on the argument against pointless jobs. Fact is, technology has been reducing the need for jobs for years. Not sure where I stand on UBI or other ideas like that, but it looks like the model definitely needs changing.

There's nothing I hate more than people who can't use a self service checkout. Scan it, put it down on the bagging area, wait for the light on the scanner to go green then scan the next item. Don't touch anything once you've scanned it until you're done. It's all done by weight.

If you're a wrong'un, scan through a ribeye steak as carrots.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

If you're a wrong'un, scan through a ribeye steak as carrots.

How dare you.

On McDonald's touchscreen ordering: it may just be my local branch but it takes three times as long to get your food if you order via touchscreen.  

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

They should put bollards up to stop people with trolleys, or have specific trolley self service areas. Blocking the gangway and taking up two tills is not cool, bro.

People who take trolleys through "basket only" aisles will be first up against the wall come the revolution.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

People who take trolleys through "basket only" aisles will be first up against the wall come the revolution.

Yes and followed by those who can't straighten up their trolley before bumbling on to a magnetic escalator, due to fucking about with their phone.

Move right to one side of the escalator and not only will the inside of the escelator help you to naturally straighten up, but people will be able to walk past you and you won't look like a failed mammal when you reach the end of the escalator.

... because your wheels won't buckle at a 45* angle and your entire trolley won't topple over spilling your weeks shopping all over the floor, including on to the parallel escalator traveling in the opposite direction.

😐

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

I worked in a Sainsbury's for a while while retraining running the self service caused you to review a tirade of abuse from people who couldn't work it. Usually due to them sticking their handbag or other outside items in the bagging area. It was only a small shop with like 5 machines so never more than 2 seconds to reset the thing. When I've been back to the UK now the machines are much better in newer places.

As for travelators out here a lot of the locals in Vietnam haven't seen them before and there is no etiquette precedent to allow passing room. People are just not in a hurry. As I don't want to look like a horrible foreigner it's 2 minutes of gritted teeth and straining plastic bags, something still overused here. Love the UK ban 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, simonworden said:

As for travelators out here a lot of the locals in Vietnam haven't seen them before and there is no etiquette precedent to allow passing room. People are just not in a hurry. As I don't want to look like a horrible foreigner it's 2 minutes of gritted teeth and straining plastic bags, something still overused here. Love the UK ban 

Are you referring to trolleys on travelators? If so it's not banned in the UK.