Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

I paid £125 a ticket for me and the Mrs which was the second pricing tier up. For that you got half decent seats, three course meal, a programme, swing band and then he came out to chat. He should have been on for an hour but he was loving it and was on stage around an hour 35.

I sort of get the ticket costs as the booking company who put the events on must shell out a shitload of money to bring him over. Benedict Cumberbatch was paid £250,000.00 to pose for pictures at a comicon a bit back so Arnie, on stage for two nights can't be cheap. He's been my hero for 27 years so it was well worth it, just couldn't justify the extra picture cost, hence the stealth high five. I'll be tempted to shell out for higher priced tickets if they bring him over again.

I didn't quite know where to put this, so I think I'll stick in here and it might ramble a bit, but I really feel that writing it down might help me.

As some of you might know, I have been suffering badly the last couple of months with mental health issues, which I've had for years but recently my depression and anxiety got worse, and some of you were kind enough to reach out to me which was lovely.

So in Feb 2016, I split from my wife, and left the family home, then in October 2016 I moved into my own flat, and that same month lost my fairly well paid job. Since then I struggled to find work, and had little to no motivation, and then found a temp job in May time, but money wasn't enough and my small amount of HB got cut off and the arrears letters started stacking up, and the eviction notices and everything, and I just did what I always do and buried my head in the sand.

Lo and behold, I was told that on August 31st at 10.35, I would be evicted. I told no one, not even my ex-wife, I even spent the night before hanging out with her, all the time with this absolute impending doom hanging over me. So on the 31st, at precisely 10.35, the baliffs came to evict me. I packed what I had into a suitcase, a holdall and a backpack and that was that. Ex was at work, kids were away at my Dads, so I took all my shit to hers, and left it in her garage. Then it fucking hit me, I was homeless. Actually homeless. With no job, and no where to stay. I sat in a park for an hour and cried my eyes out. Then I went to the Council with a bag and explained my situation.They were fairly empathetic, but not much they could do for me as I'd left it so late. I explained that I struggled to compute and comprehend the situation and just buried my head and they told me to sign up to the housing register and that was that.

I just walked around in a daze for hours. Add to this that my phone had been cut off due to me not paying it, and I couldn't text, call or receive calls, and the only way I could communicate with anyone was to get to somewhere with wifi to use whatsapp. I explained to my ex what had happened and she was lovely about it, rather than anger which she had every right to be, but for reasons I can't go into, I couldn't stay at hers. That first night I just walked around all night. Occasionally stopping to sit on a bench or a chair somewhere. I eventually found a couple of seats outside the back of a restaurant where the staff sit to smoke, and just sat there all night. How anyone who sleeps rough actually ever sleeps, I'll never know.

Basically for the next week or so, my day fell into this routine. I had a tiny bit of money, so at 6.30, I'd go to Starbucks and get a coffee and charge my phone and use wifi. Sit there until 9.30, then go to the library, until 5.30, occasionally walking around for a bit. Then back to Starbucks until 6.30. Then I would just walk around from place to place where I knew I could sit outside and get wifi (library, morrisons, pizza express) until the kids were in bed, then go for a shower and change of clothes and for the first 3 or 4 nights slept in her car down a quiet road until 6.30am and repeat ad nauseum. The fucking exhaustion you feel from aimlessly and endlessly trudging around all day is insane. Add to that, the embarrasment and shame I had meant I was in a bad way. Add to that, no money and no job, applying for jobs but having no phone for them to contact me, and only being able to use the net for 2 hours a day, it was just so disheartening. I felt like it was a spiral that I would never get out of.

I then started sleeping in the garage, as it was safer and I fashioned a kind of resting place out of two old garden chairs but I barely slept to be honest. Eventually, and with great reluctance (as we have a terrible relationship), I accepted my Dads help and he paid the deposit and rent on a room in a house shared by 5 other people until I get myself ahead and sorted. I'm still looking for a job, but having a roof over my head and being able to use a phone (pay as you go sim) and the internet and a shower has made the world of difference.

This is not a woe is me story. I got into trouble by not paying my rent and knew what was happening but I didn't cope with it as I have trouble coping with stressful situations. I've never felt like such a failure as a human being, or as a Dad, and it'll take me a long time to be OK. thought of my kids finding out when they're older feels me with dread, and on the few occasions I saw them in those 13 days, having to hide everything from them was tough.

I honestly don't know how people can sleep rough for so long. It is so disheartening, and you feel so alone, scared and just forgotten. Waking up every morning and not knowing where you're going to sleep that night is fucking demoralising beyond belief. I've always volunteered for Shelter at Christmas, but this year, I've decided to do it on Christmas Day. I want to help people who are in a far worse situation than me. Homelessness is a serious situation that can affect anyone.

Sorry for rambling, and not looking for sympathy, I just wanted to write to make me feel a bit better.

Oh and the guys at the CAB were awesome. Big them up as they're all volunteers.

• Paid Members

Hope things get better for you mate. If it's OK. I'd like to ask a question.

Is it better to give a homeless person money or buy them food and drink?

If you are in need of a hot meal. Your local Gurdwara (Sikh Temple) should have a free kitchen. Which is open to all. All they ask is that you are respectful that it is a place of worship.

• Paid Members

Fucking hell bacon, genuinely saddened by this. I hope things pick up for you. I can imagine it's really hard to get yourself out of a position like that so don't give up hope.

Makes you wonder doesn't it, how easy it can be to get into that situation from a comfortable living scenario.

It's frightening how close many people are to a situation that seems unthinkable. Well done for muddling through it and best of luck to you.

Oh, and if your kids ever do find out what happened, I think they'll be fucking proud that you came through it without letting them worry or suffer.

Edited by Uncle Zeb

• Paid Members

Sorry to hear about all this Bacon, hope you're doing ok as you can in the situation, and glad to hear you've got a roof over your head now. Hope you get back on your feet soon mate. 

Also, kudos for volunteering on Christmas Day, that's a really lovely thing to do, good on you! 

• Awards Moderator

Fuck's sake Bacon that's heart-wrenching. Sometimes I think I've got problems but perspective is a great thing.

While not perfect it sounds like you're heading in the right direction. Keep moving up and know you have some ears here if you need to unload.

• Paid Members

Bloody hell lad. It's really difficult to comprehend how tings can get to that point and it makes my eternally grateful that I have a close family and no one would let this happen to another. That is absolutely no knock on you or your circumstances. You mentioned your kids stay with your dad and he helped to pay for your deposit, I'm guessing staying at his for a while was out of the question? I mean between that and sleeping on the street mate.

Anyway, I'm incredibly sorry to hear you have gone through this.

First step is getting shelter and basic amenities, which you have now. Next step is getting your head sorted.

Might sound daft, but if the job situation is causing problems, have you thought about going back to study at all? At the very least you will be keeping your mind active, you will be training in an area which might open up new job routes and depending on circumstances you might be entitled to student loans/adult learning grants.

Anyway, best of luck man.

Thanks for all your kind words guys, really appreciate it. 

Feel like a bit of a fraud as at least I had somewhere to sleep (that wasn't actually on the streets), and somewhere to shower and wash clothes, but was still a desperate time. Got some interviews lined up this week and whilst still really down and anxious about everything, I can see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel. 

Love to all you UKFFers as always. Everybody...We are family, I've got all my step sisters with me...

@BigJag whilst it didn't get that bad, I'd say giving food/drink would be better. When you're in that situation, actually going into a shop and trying to choose something/anything can be the most difficult thing in the world. I'm no saint, but I've sometimes bought people tea/coffee/sandwiches and they've been incredibly greatful.