Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

• Moderators

While I'm sure this will see me at minus reputation before sunset, I think I've seen people advertise their stuff in this thread occasionally, so allow me to once again abuse my mod status with this quick advertorial, before immediately banning myself.

I wrote a book, and here it is.

9PwieVE.jpg

Ever wondered "What if Manson had got off?" Well, here's the synopsis anyway, you prick.

January 1971, and Charles Manson is acquitted of the famed Manson Family murders. As a free man, he finds himself folk hero to the disenfranchised youth that flock to his side, where one young follower quickly becomes enamoured with the freedoms of this brave new world.

But something unimaginably terrible may be brewing, in a place where life and death are “just an illusion,” and where a lie, told enough times with enough conviction, can become the truth.

Millard's alternate history fable is a story of freedom and control; of love and obsession; and of charismatic leaders with big promises.

It's available both digitally for the Kindle, and in paperback. Okay thanks bye

user was banned for this post

• Paid Members

Astro, are you still self-publishing or has a publisher picked you up? I'm just wondering. Nothing wrong with being self-published, but your previous books have been good and was wondering if you've ever tried to get an agent and publisher and all that.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Astro, are you still self-publishing or has a publisher picked you up? I'm just wondering. Nothing wrong with being self-published, but your previous books have been good and was wondering if you've ever tried to get an agent and publisher and all that.

Stuck it out myself. I shopped this one around about 5 years ago, but at the time, all anyone wanted was YA fiction, because that's what was selling, so I had a lot of "this is great, but we can't market it to teens" and "could you take the swearing out?" Unless you're a celebrity pitching a children's book, there's shit-all money being thrown at writers by traditional publishers these days anyway, so you're almost always better off shoving it up yourself and trying to make a go of it.

• Awards Moderator

I've had a read of this and it's just like everything else Millard writes. 

Fucking insane, depraved and twisted. 

Oh, and brilliant. Nearly forgot that. 

• Paid Members

Some pricks are going around hacking into Spotify accounts. Check your emails in case your email has been changed. If it has, email the address in the email. Whoever this cunt is, seems to know a lot about me.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, Astro Hollywood said:

Stuck it out myself. I shopped this one around about 5 years ago, but at the time, all anyone wanted was YA fiction, because that's what was selling, so I had a lot of "this is great, but we can't market it to teens" and "could you take the swearing out?" Unless you're a celebrity pitching a children's book, there's shit-all money being thrown at writers by traditional publishers these days anyway, so you're almost always better off shoving it up yourself and trying to make a go of it.

Out of Curiosity Astro - what genre do you write? I'm an author myself and after pissing around with agents and the big publishers, I managed to bag a deal with an indie publisher after doing a bit of research. If you haven't tried, have a look at an indie publisher, see if they'll take you on.

Edit - just realised I've read some of your work! 

Edited by Azrall

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Azrall said:

Out of Curiosity Astro - what genre do you write? I'm an author myself and after pissing around with agents and the big publishers, I managed to bag a deal with an indie publisher after doing a bit of research. If you haven't tried, have a look at an indie publisher, see if they'll take you on.

Edit - just realised I've read some of your work! 

Everything barring this one has been so super niche, I've not even bothered trying the traditional route with them. "Y'see, I go to the beach and listen in on people's conversations..." I did ship Charlie and Me around indie publishers, but I don't think any of them were overly into how controversial a sell it might be (or maybe it was just shit). But by this point, I'm so used to having complete control, I don't know that I'd ever even try and go that route again. I love being able to write something/anything, and when it's done and ready, put it straight out into the world when and how I choose. Doesn't mean anyone will want to read it, mind, and obviously you have to market it yourself (which I stink at), but there's a freedom and satisfaction to one-man-banding it that I love.

Plus -- and not to paint myself as one of those 'TOO CONTROVERSIAL FOR TV!' types who appears on magazine covers with tape over their mouth -- no publisher in the world is going to touch my next one, but I don't have to worry about that, as I can release it myself and shoulder all the shit (or praise). Ten years ago, I'd had to have put the whole thing in a drawer and forget about it.

What kinda stuff do you write? And hearty congrats on snagging a deal.

Edited by Astro Hollywood
Accidentally spelled 'too' as 'to' because i write gud

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Astro Hollywood said:

Plus -- and not to paint myself as one of those 'TOO CONTROVERSIAL FOR TV!' types who appears on magazine covers with tape over their mouth -- no publisher in the world is going to touch my next one.

Scouting for boys 2 (Be prepared with Rolf and Gary).

A watercolour illustration in digital download form only. Join Rolf and Gary as they try assist young boys  to leave the world of gang culture and teach them how to become leaders, though camping?

Well done on another release though @Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Some pricks are going around hacking into Spotify accounts. Check your emails in case your email has been changed. If it has, email the address in the email. Whoever this cunt is, seems to know a lot about me.

There's been a big leak of usernames and passwords recently, mainly because of the Onliner spam bot. You should check https://haveibeenpwned.com in case that's how they've got in to your account.

I also agree with Spursriot, don't interact with them.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

What? Don't interact with them. Just contact Spotify. 

I did. It was a bit of a faff, but managed to get my account back in the end. Had to post screenshots to their support department.