Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

• Paid Members

Did the sheep show have one of those sheep that looks like it has dreadlocks and does a strange sort of dance to some reggae? Odd question, I appreciate, but saw something similar at a thing in Sussex last year.  Having grown up in London, it was a little unusual to my eyes.

• Paid Members
Just now, mim731 said:

Did the sheep show have one of those sheep that looks like it has dreadlocks and does a strange sort of dance to some reggae? Odd question, I appreciate, but saw something similar at a thing in Sussex last year.  Having grown up in London, it was a little unusual to my eyes.

Yeah, think it was probably the same one. I absolutely loved how carny a bunch of the acts were, patter absolutely nailed down. The sheep show bloke has probably said the same jokes in about 500 different locations across the country, but it works. If Mighty Smith the Strongman hasn't been involved in #BritWres in some capacity, I'll be astonished. Understood how to get a crowd in to it while doing the sum total of fuck-all more than 90% of people I've seen in a ring. 

• Paid Members

No one ever really owns a cat. Growing up in the wilds of East Yorkshire, there were a couple of farm cats that spent more of the time with us than where they actually lived - they just started showing up, and never really left. Even the family's first cat only came about because another farm cat gave birth to it under the shed. Cats disappear for a day or two at a time and turn up when they fancy some food or a kip, or whatever else it is cats decide they like humans for - nowt wrong with continuing to feed one that shows up, it's not like they've nicked it and kept in the house without letting it outside or anything, so the cat has some degree of agency over where it shows up to.

We've got a cat who shows up to work sometimes - lives somewhere nearby, just wanders in from time to time. The animal shelter is just down the road, and they had to ask people who work with me to stop bringing it there, as it was clearly well looked after and had just took a shine to our place. So every now and then she'll just come in and have a kip in my in-tray, or warm up on the photocopier. Brightens the day, really.

• Paid Members

While I agree with this @BomberPat some people will think otherwise due to love and money invested. Buying food, vet bills and in reality, kids and their love for the cat. But I do agree with you, cats are still pretty feral at the end of the day and will do whatever the fuck they want. Probs best to expect as much when you get one.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members

Depends on the cat too to some extent. Wills, in his old age, wants to spend as much of the day as possible with people. Sleeps on the bed, sleeps on the sofa when you're there, hags out in the kitchen when you're cooking. If I'm staying at home after being away for a while, he just follows me around for a couple of days.  He is cat equivalent of about 100 years old and seems to genuinely like the company nowadays. 

• Paid Members

Definitely depends on the cat. 

We have a cat flap that remains open the majority of the time for our cat to come and go as she pleases, but she's more of an inside cat than out. 

She keeps the same hours as us. When we go to bed, she follows, and when we wake up, she gets up with us. We come home from work, and she's sat on the mat waiting for us near the porch. She's 7, so not slowing down by any means. She just likes our attention. 

If she didn't come home one evening, I'd be pretty worried, because she's never spent a night outside (her own choosing) 

Yes, I'm soft as fuck. 

20160730_094859.jpg

Aww. (Apologies, I forgot this isn't the 'pics of your pets' thread.)

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Gus Mears said:

If I'm staying at home after being away for a while, he just follows me around for a couple of days.  He is cat equivalent of about 100 years old and seems to genuinely like the company nowadays. 

My Brother got Married in Spain last week, so me and the misses had 5 days out there, with our Neighbour popping in twice a day to feed our Cat and giving her a little fuss. The day we got home she would not leave our side. Constantly purring really loudly and brushing up next to us/cwtching at every opportunity.

Now that next doors cat has mastered the open window, he spends loads of time at mine and comes and goes as he pleases. They don't mind and he likes being fussed so it's win win. I have never been a cat person but I do love his visits and get excited when I hear the patter of paws. 

• Paid Members

My cats are wimps. They can't deal with other people. If we have visitors, they all hide in the bedroom. Nico is especially anxious around people that aren't us. Whenever we go away, when the person we've got feeding them comes in he hides in the bathroom sink. 

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Whenever we go away, when the person we've got feeding them comes in he hides in the bathroom sink. 

Fucking hell, that must be a right shock when you get back home. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Got a job interview next week for an assistant manager role at a bistro pub in Bath. On top of that even if I do fully drop out of my masters rather than take an extended break as I have 1/3 completed I'll still get a certificate of some kind that counts towards something.

Even if this week has been a bit shit and consisted of me sleeping for 14 hours at a time through feeling pretty rotten, this is the type of day that can drive me on for a full week.

• Paid Members

Pub/Restaurant in Widcombe called Ring O Bells. Just gone under new management in the last few months but they regularly do jazz and comedy nights and I have quite a bit of bar and event management experience behind me from Uni. Were pretty quick getting aback to me about coming in for a chat too so can only hope that's good.