McGregor McRetires? No. But let's talk about him anyway.

Supremo

McGregor is underrated in some circles these days. I think the loss to Khabib and his antics outside of the cage have clouded some people's judgements of his ability. He was never the best fighter in the sport, but he was the best featherweight for a brief time, and his wins over Alvarez and Diaz were commendable.

Whether he can shake off the ring-rust and become a top-flight lightweight is another question. Although, I certainly wouldn't rule him out against Gaethje, Ferguson, etc. 

• Paid Members

Yep. And that’s partly why I’m so against the Khabib rematch. There’s so many potentially great fights to make with McGregor now. His time away has allowed a bunch of appealing possible matchups to pop up. Rematches with the likes of Diaz and Aldo and some fresh matchups with Gaethje, Ferguson, Cerrone and even Masvidal would all be must-see exciting fights. And win or lose, they’re all more favourable matchups style-wise than Khabib is. Not that I think McGregor beats all those guys but I’d say they’re all at least competitive and they’ll stand with him a bit. Like David says, he even had little moments against Khabib. But it’s a fight he loses about 9 times out of 10 for me. And that might actually be generous. It’s just the worse style for him. But I wouldn’t count him out against the others. The jury’s out for me. He was never beating Khabib so that was no revelation or anything to really base anything on going forward. But I get Carbomb’s point, to be fair. McGregor has fucked up and pissed about a lot since that tremendous performance against Alvarez. Who knows at this point? But that’s why I want to see him fight someone other than Khabib. If he comes back and goes straight in with Khabib he’ll get dominated again and we’ll be none the wiser about where he’s at currently. If he fights a Gaethje or someone like that, then that’s a good barometer. And a fun fucking fight into the bargain! 

• Paid Members

Hey, David - the sky's blue. 😝

But seriously, on reflection, I think wand's post brings me closer to expressing with a bit more nuance what I think about McG, which is that I'm done with the guy both inside and outside the cage, unless and until he proves he's worth watching again - and that covers both fighting and his public presence. As a public figure, I've no interest in his latest cuntery (and if it does turn out he did rape that woman, there's nothing that'll get me watching him again), and as a fighter, he's spent so long substituting actual fighting for just tweeting non-stop keech that I'm now not even bothered if he ever does come back.

He needs to get the fiver out of his nose and his arse into the Octagon.

• Paid Members

I'd rather McGregor fight again because it means when we talk about him it will be something positive for a change. McGregor is only interesting when he fights anyway.

It will be interesting to see where he lines up in the division. No doubt 3/4 years ago he was one of the very best in the world, but times are different now. Not only is the division seemingly better but McGregor really is something special if he somehow overcomes all the bollocks even he realised would end his career at the very top, before he made the May-Mac money.

14 hours ago, Chunk said:

What you mean how none of us are Mcgregor fans anymore but David seems to be warming to him!?

I'm not warming to him, he's still the same prick that I thought he was years ago while everyone else was riding his dick. 

I've said numerous times that styles make fights, and I think the Gaethje fight could be tailor-made for Conor if he's anywhere near his best.

• 4 weeks later...

Back in the news again.

“Famous Irish sports star accused of sexually assaulting woman near west Dublin pub on Friday night”

“The same man is also being investigated over the alleged rape of another woman in Dublin last December”

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/famous-irish-sports-star-accused-17077237

There was also this report of another incident a few days ago:

Insider claims to have spoken to witnesses who saw Conor McGregor’s entourage force a woman into a car outside of Los Angeles celebrity hotspot Delilah.

Online outlet Insider is currently investigating Los Angeles club and restaurant Delilah over claims that the establishment, ‘allows employees to be vulnerable to mistreatment by celebrities.’ During their investigation that outlet claims to have uncovered a story involving former UFC champion Conor McGregor and his entourage. Insider quotes two former Delilah employees in their report over a supposed incident that took place this March. The outlet writes that details are ‘hazy,’ but two eyewitnesses told them they were present when McGregor and a group of friends were being rowdy at the establishment.

According to Insider one of the witnesses said at some point McGregor picked up a woman who was working bottle service and put her over his shoulder. The witness said that McGregor passed the woman onto another member of his entourage who then carried the woman to an SUV that was parked outside. The witness told Insider they saw “fear” in the eyes of the woman who they said was carried outside. The second witness told Insider that they followed McGregor’s group as they moved outside towards where the SUV was parked. Outside that witness said they saw the woman in the back of the SUV trying to roll down the window. That witness is quoted as saying the woman was “freaking out.”

According to the witness a manager then came outside and threatened to call the police. The first witness said the woman eventually came out of the car, looking “rattled.” Insider reached out to McGregor’s camp for comment. They were put in touch with Bellator fighter Charlie Ward, who previously fought in the UFC. Ward, a close friend of McGregor, told Insider that is was him that went to the SUV with the staffer on the night in question. Ward told the outlet he was “making out” with the staffer when a manager looked inside the car and asked if the woman was being held against her will. Ward claimed he thought this was a joke and that then the manager started yelling and threatening to call the police. Ward further claimed that the staffer made it known she was there on her own accord, but left the vehicle. He said he did not see the woman for the rest of the night.

In their report Insider follows Ward’s account with the following comment: There is one key aspect of Ward’s story that differs from what sources close to McGregor initially told us about the incident, but they refused to put this account on the record. The two witnesses who spoke with Insider claimed that McGregor was banned from Delilah after the incident. However, one of those witnesses said McGregor returned around a month and a half later to eat at the restaurant, but that he left without paying the bill. Insider said it reached out to the woman who is at the center of this story and that she declined to comment. The outlet added that the woman was still working at Delilah when they spoke to her. Bloody Elbow has contacted a representative for McGregor and Ward and requested a comment regarding this story. At this time of writing there has been no response to that request.

• Paid Members

Remember when the biggest fear about McGregor’s out of the cage lifestyle was that all the sudden money and fame might see him turn into MMA’s Michael Carroll, the Lottery winning dosser? The good old days. If only that’s all he became. 

I’m not even shocked anymore. Every story that comes out now I just think ‘yep, probably guilty’. Whether that’s fair or not or whether the stories are true or not, his actions that we’ve seen over the last couple of years add credibility to the stories for me. And add to the overall feeling that he’s scum who thinks he’s untouchable. So when things like this get reported it’s very believable. There’s been way too many things now and it seems to be escalating. 

14 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

And add to the overall feeling that he’s scum who thinks he’s untouchable.

Well, considering he hasn't actually seen any punishment for any of these incidents you can understand why he thinks he's untouchable. Not only has he been accused of various crimes, but he seems to be adding to them on a regular basis.

Regarding his MMA career:

He's still chasing the rematch with Khabib. Thankfully, the UFC seem committed to booking Khabib vs Ferguson for the spring of 2020. Therefore, McGregor will probably have to wait until next summer at the earliest for another crack at Khabib (or his first crack at Ferguson). Gaethje's manager claims the UFC wants to book McGregor vs Gaethje in the meantime. Nevertheless, I think McGregor will try and duck that fight. A loss to Gaethje would spoil his big payday with Khabib. 

I think the UFC, perhaps on ESPN's behalf, will want to book McGregor vs Khabib 2 as soon as possible. Not just because of the money it would generate, but also because McGregor will probably get himself locked up eventually. Thus, all parties will want to cash-in while they still can. 

In short, it's same old shit really. The only difference is that Gaethje is now the fighter in the frame to fight Conor, whereas a few months back Aldo was rumoured to be next in line.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Yeah, Dana’s shot it down. He’s not into the Edgar fight because Edgar is in the process of dropping down to 135. I’m not that interested either, to be honest. I’d have been all over it at one point, and even a year or so ago. But now I’d rather see Edgar just try and have that one last run at Bantamweight. And to be honest, with all the shit surrounding McGregor at the moment outside the cage, I don’t want to see him fight at all until the picture is clearer on those sexual assault accusations. 

• Paid Members

Caught this little exchange on Twitter;

2-F122-BE6-07-BA-4-A29-AF37-7-CEBEA2034-

89-D581-AA-AFBB-4634-A7-AF-2-A8-DC3-F409

There seems to be a pattern with McGregor now where every time those sexual assault allegations start coming up again or there’s a new development or something, he starts making these challenges for fights like he’s trying to distract everyone. First he kept pushing for the Edgar fight, then that got shut down so he’s back on Khabib again. Let’s face it, he’s not fighting in Moscow and he’s not fighting Frankie in December. It’s all a smokescreen to make everyone forget that he’s being investigated for a string of sexual assaults, and other assaults, that seems to be growing by the month. The MMA media is almost totally ignoring the sexual abuse stuff as well. Sadly, unsurprisingly. 

Then I see this today from John Kavanagh; 

FDC609-F8-D878-4365-B934-5028-A77-C1812.

Obviously, I hope the baby comes through but this just smacks of Kavanagh trying to get Conor some positive PR in light of the recent shit we’ve all been hearing about him. Like he’s done a good deed here so he can’t possibly be the sexual deviant and monster these women are making him out to be. Classic and typical behaviour to shut down the accusers. 

I think it’s quite telling that even Dana has kind of distanced himself, slightly anyway, from McGregor now. He was recently quoted saying ”Khabib is the man now. Conor isn’t the man anymore, so Khabib gets to sit back and call the shots.” Conor threw a little strop over that on Twitter. Dana also seems a bit more set on Khabib vs Ferguson now whereas he was constantly trying to insinuate Conor into the picture as recently as a couple of months ago. I think the UFC and Dana know McGregor is in some real shit with these accusations now. It’s not going away. Apparently the original assault we heard about from December wasn’t even the first accusation against him either but whether the others were silenced with money or threats or whatever, he’s allegedly made a bit of a habit of forcing himself on women and it doesn’t seem like these last couple of women are going to be so easy to shut up. The more that comes out the more I really think he reeks of guilt and something big is coming. Even after that story the other week of him and his twatty mate trying to force a woman into his truck, yet another story comes out within days of another allegation last week. It’s like he thinks ‘I’m going down anyway, might as well have my fun while I can’.

I still keep seeing people defend him and saying ‘nothing has been proven’. But you have to ask yourself, if you were an innocent man being accused of a rape in December, would your response to that be to then go and punch an old man in April and go on to get yourself wrapped up in at least two more sexual assault incidents by October? I keep hearing that these women are after money but there are much richer celebrities than Conor McGregor who don’t find themselves in weekly sex scandals like this. Why’s it only him being targeted? If he was living the life of GSP and was accused of this, I could maybe understand people wanting to wait and give him every benefit of the doubt. But he seems to be stacking one incident on top of another and it seems like he’s getting bolder and more flagrant each time. Almost like he’s daring someone to do something about it. And some are still insisting he can’t possibly have done any wrong.