McGregor McRetires? No. But let's talk about him anyway.

Supremo

Amazing. Who'd have thought when he knocked out Brandao in Dublin and the roof came off the place that just over 5 years later we'd see videos like that of his Irish fans pouring his drink down the toilet.

It's a ridiculous fall from grace.

• Paid Members

Times have changed on here. The fact that a 40 minute interview with Conor McGregor has been sat here for 5 hours to no response is pretty mad. It’s been available a couple of days now and I haven’t even bothered watching it. I just can’t be arsed anymore. I think I know the tone it’ll have just by seeing a couple of pictures from the interview of his ‘I’m sorry’ face and his ‘Bart Simpson at church’ hair. 

The only snippets I’ve caught are through people tweeting about it and all I got from it was that Khabib ran in their fight (?), he had a broken foot going in (?) and he was lined up to fight Justin Gaethje in July at some point which would’ve been cool. 

But I don’t feel like I need to listen to 40 minutes of his fake apology in an attempt to save face. 

I couldn't be arsed to listen to all of it. I did listen to the bits about the Khabib fight. It's mostly stuff that he has said before, just with a bit more detail:

- He did claim that Khabib "ran" during the first round, but he chose his words poorly. It becomes clear later on in the interview that he feels that Khabib's decision to immediately shoot for a takedown in the opening round was a sign that he was scared to strike. I.E - He feels that Khabib ran from the striking exchanges (I know, it's a stupid point regardless. Why would a skilled grappler like Khabib opt to strike?)

- He asserts that Khabib only talked to him when he achieved a dominant position, which he didn't have in the opening round. He seems to infer that Khabib was stalling in the opening round and Dean should have stood the fight up. 

- He claimed that his foot was like a balloon going into the Khabib fight, and that his toes came out of their sockets during the fight. He says that he broke his foot 3 weeks before the fight and has footage from his training camp backed up to prove this. 

- He says that his training camp for the Khabib fight was poor. He asserts that his training sessions were too serious, and that he didn't live right outside of the gym. 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

- He did claim that Khabib "ran" during the first round, but he chose his words poorly. It becomes clear later on in the interview that he feels that Khabib's decision to immediately shoot for a takedown in the opening round was a sign that he was scared to strike. I.E - He feels that Khabib ran from the striking exchanges (I know, it's a stupid point regardless. Why would a skilled grappler like Khabib opt to strike?)

- He asserts that Khabib only talked to him when he achieved a dominant position, which he didn't have in the opening round. He seems to infer that Khabib was stalling in the opening round and Dean should have stood the fight up. 

- He claimed that his foot was like a balloon going into the Khabib fight, and that his toes came out of their sockets during the fight. He says that he broke his foot 3 weeks before the fight and has footage from his training camp backed up to prove this. 

- He says that his training camp for the Khabib fight was poor. He asserts that his training sessions were too serious, and that he didn't live right outside of the gym. 

32056423-3DA9-4091-916F-88ED46B1B373.gif

At this point Conor has become what he used to slag off in other fighters. Remember when he lost to Nate and was roundly praised for how he handled the loss without making excuses? Seems those days are over. 

Edited by wandshogun09

The sad thing is that his performance against Khabib did have a few positives. Granted, he got mauled in the 2nd and 4th rounds, and got dropped by Khabib in the 2nd frame by a punch that he shouldn't have been caught with.

However, Conor survived the first round without taking any damage and he actually won the third round. That's not too shabby when you consider that Barboza, who is a strong defensive grappler and a decent striker, was completely shutdown by Khabib over 3 rounds. I honestly expected Khabib to find it easier to finish Conor once he secured the initial takedown. It was clear to many beforehand that Khabib was a horrible style match-up for McGregor. In a backhanded way, he did a bit better against Khabib than he had any right to. 

But Conor will be Conor, and some will probably buy into what he is peddling. 

Edited by jimufctna24

This may shock everyone on here, but I badly want to believe that he means what he says. I take absolutely zero pleasure in seeing a talented young guy with a family piss it all away, and I hope that he's given himself a bit of a shake before things get much worse.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Just listened to it all. I cannot believe this is the same guy who was so articulate, confident and witty just a couple of years ago. He's slurring and stuttering his way through mad rambles. He sounds punchy and the drugs have wrecked him.

I was going to mention yesterday that I've noticed since the Mayweather fight how much Conor stumbles over his words. I didn't bother because maybe it's always been a thing and I've only just picked up on it over the past couple of years.