McGregor McRetires? No. But let's talk about him anyway.

Supremo

• Paid Members

Probably Diaz. Kavanagh was on the MMA Hour last night and Helwani asked him who he wanted next. Kavanagh downplayed everyone else and only hyped up Diaz, saying Diaz presented the most interesting set of skills to plan for etc. While Kavanagh pointed out it was only his opinion, you imagine he's got some clue as to what McGregor wants next and has some say.

We'll see, but I think the Diaz fight is definitely the one where he makes the most money at Lightweight.

That's for certain. The only possibility of a fight that makes more money than that one is against GSP. And that's debatable. McGregor fans that only started watching the fights when he came on the scene won't have as much interest in a GSP fight as a Diaz rubber match.

The problem to me is the featherweight title. How much longer can he put that division on hold before he defends the title? If it were me, I'd have the winner of Pettis/Hollaway face Aldo, and the winner face Mcgregor (if he decides to hold onto the 145llb belt). The same with the lightweight division, have Khabib fight Ferguson to determine the true number 1 contender in that division. 

The thing is, come December 12th it'll have been a full calendar year since McGregor won the title. Is it right that a belt should be iced for what will probably be a year and a half minimum? I don't think so.

And let's be honest, if it were any other fighter who'd won the title and been inactive for that long there'd be serious talk of taking the strap off him. Has a UFC title ever gone over a year without a defence?

Probably Diaz. Kavanagh was on the MMA Hour last night and Helwani asked him who he wanted next. Kavanagh downplayed everyone else and only hyped up Diaz, saying Diaz presented the most interesting set of skills to plan for etc. While Kavanagh pointed out it was only his opinion, you imagine he's got some clue as to what McGregor wants next and has some say.

We'll see, but I think the Diaz fight is definitely the one where he makes the most money at Lightweight.

Yeah, Kavanagh isn't stupid. Diaz presents "the most interesting set of skills" basically means that he's probably the easiest of the three fighters being talked about. There's zero chance he wants anything to do with Khabib. 

Truth is though, if they hand Diaz a 155lbs title fight despite him having fought in that division twice in the past three years, and not since December 2015 then things will have hit an absolute low as far as title defences go. We're dangerously close to entering the "belt being nothing more than a prop" zone that WWE uses.

They'd be better off just hiring Mick Foley to present the winner of Khabib vs Ferguson with a UFC Hardcore title or something.

• Paid Members

The 145 belt needs to be vacated. He's never defending it again. But it becomes a negotiating tactic I guess. If they strip him it'll piss him off and delay him getting back in the cage, which they can't afford. Howeverthe UFC can't let McGregor just piss about for ages with two belts and not making up his mind what he plans to do. Get him to the negotiating table quick and convince McGregor to vacate it in return for a bit of a payrise and everybody is happy.

I think the ultimatum that needs to be issued to Conor next is "your next fight is for the 145 title or it's gone". He talks about wanting to keep both belts, but it's madness for him to say that and then fight for the 155 belt in the next few months while the featherweights don't get a shot for a year and a half. Conor's said he's not interested in fighting Aldo after already beating him in 14 seconds, but he's the interim champ and it's the only rightful fight to make. I expect Conor's worried the PPV won't sell as well after he obliterated Aldo, but I think the intrigue of what a longer fight could do well would sell great. Another thing that would sell great- a soccer stadium in Brazil. Tell me McGregor vs. Aldo II in front of 100,000 Brazilians wouldn't be huge.

If he/UFC goes for Diaz III, Khabib or Ferguson next, it's done. I do think Conor can still make the weight- he looks fantastic at 155, but if he's truly driven to remain the double champ, he needs to pull off tough weight cuts every couple of fights. I think he is, and in my mind he could be active enough to follow the perfect schedule.

145 defence- March 2017

155 defence- July 2017

145 defence- November 2017

155 defence- January 2018

... and so on.

I love Conor, and really want to see him run shit as double champ, but him defending against Aldo next is the only fair way to go. And I think it does way bigger box office than Conor and/or UFC think it does.

McGregor has nothing at all to gain in that situation, and we all know Conor is all about the business of Conor.

You're saying what makes the most sense for him is to cut that weight to fight a man he just beat in 13 seconds less than a year ago, and for him to take a 12 hour flight from Ireland so he can do it in his opponents backyard? Somehow I can't see him going for that.

An Ireland stadium show with 100,000 drunk Irish fans would be even better, but that's not going to happen either.

Another thing about Conor/Aldo is how the fuck does McGregor top the first bout? Knock him out in 10 seconds? If he fights Aldo again, there's a 99.9% chance he won't look as impressive as he did in the first fight. There's a tiny chance of him sparking Aldo out early again, and a much higher chance of him being dragged into a war. Don't get me wrong, a war between those two is a fight I'd love to see, but it's not entirely realistic. There's nothing for him in that Aldo fight for him that he couldn't get elsewhere.

The 145 belt needs to be vacated. He's never defending it again. But it becomes a negotiating tactic I guess. If they strip him it'll piss him off and delay him getting back in the cage, which they can't afford. Howeverthe UFC can't let McGregor just piss about for ages with two belts and not making up his mind what he plans to do. Get him to the negotiating table quick and convince McGregor to vacate it in return for a bit of a payrise and everybody is happy.

Just reading what you posted there, and got me thinking. The Conor/Diaz first fight was at Welterweight, meaning Conor has fought at three different weights in the UFC. How many others have fought at three weights, the only one that springs to mind is BJ Penn (Middleweight when he won the title from Matt Hughes, challenged GSP for the Welterweight Belt and is a more Lightweight Champion)

• Paid Members

Just reading what you posted there, and got me thinking. The Conor/Diaz first fight was at Welterweight, meaning Conor has fought at three different weights in the UFC. How many others have fought at three weights, the only one that springs to mind is BJ Penn (Middleweight when he won the title from Matt Hughes, challenged GSP for the Welterweight Belt and is a more Lightweight Champion)

Kenny Florian..

Middleweight

floriansanchez.jpg

Welterweight

15968.jpg15968.jpgkpl93s-05floriankaralexislarge.jpg

Lightweight

8f908ff12193015cfbfe1390e4d4c8ba.jpg

Featherweight

kenflo-e1341415549562.jpg

• Paid Members

Penn never fought at middleweight in the UFC. He fought at middleweight a couple times and insanely at catchweight against Lyoto Machida in K1, but never in the UFC.

He won the welterweight and lightweight belts in the UFC.

Edited by lambyUK

McGregor has nothing at all to gain in that situation, and we all know Conor is all about the business of Conor.

You're saying what makes the most sense for him is to cut that weight to fight a man he just beat in 13 seconds less than a year ago, and for him to take a 12 hour flight from Ireland so he can do it in his opponents backyard? Somehow I can't see him going for that.

An Ireland stadium show with 100,000 drunk Irish fans would be even better, but that's not going to happen either.

The stadium thing was just an aside. But the point was, he can't expect to hold a belt and ignore that division for 18 months. It's ridiculous that Conor expects to hold the belt but not open to fighting Aldo.

If Rashad Evans vs Tim Kennedy goes ahead, then Evans will have also fought at three weights in the UFC (Heavy, Light Heavy and Middle).

• Paid Members

Another thing about Conor/Aldo is how the fuck does McGregor top the first bout? Knock him out in 10 seconds? If he fights Aldo again, there's a 99.9% chance he won't look as impressive as he did in the first fight. There's a tiny chance of him sparking Aldo out early again, and a much higher chance of him being dragged into a war. Don't get me wrong, a war between those two is a fight I'd love to see, but it's not entirely realistic. There's nothing for him in that Aldo fight for him that he couldn't get elsewhere.

Totally agree with this. Fuck Aldo. It's harsh to say and it sucks for him but what's the point in Mcgregor fighting him? He has nothing to gain and everything to lose.

I also agree that he has to defend the FW belt next or drop it. If he's dead set on holding both and wants to fight again before his baby is born then to me it makes sense to give him Pettis if Pettis beats Holloway.

Otherwise I say drop the FW belt and either do the Diaz trilogy fight or Ferguson before taking the break. Then do Khabib vs Alvarez during the break and let him return to take on the winner if he beats Ferguson or the loser if he doesn't. That would mean either taking on Khabib in a fight for the number one contender spot or an Alvarez that's fresh off a win against a monster like Khabib (and therefore credible again).

• Paid Members

Totally agree with this. Fuck Aldo. It's harsh to say and it sucks for him but what's the point in Mcgregor fighting him? He has nothing to gain and everything to lose.

That's not really the point though to be honest. McGregor is champ, Aldo is number one contender. Its also the biggest fight at 145. So UFC and McGregor have to come up with a plan, which in my opinion is either Aldo, or vacate the belt

• Paid Members

But we're talking about Mcgregor here, not just any old fighter. What he personally wants is a huge factor in what happens. Look at the Diaz rematch as an example of that. If he doesn't want to fight Aldo but does want to defend his FW belt, it would be crazy to believe that it's a simple as the UFC telling him what to do.

I'm also not sure if I agree that Aldo is a bigger fight than Pettis. He destroyed Aldo in 13 seconds. Who wants to see him fight Aldo again? Not many casual fans, I'd bet. You stick that matrix kick clip on a few promo videos and bill Pettis as an unconventional young fighter with crazy skills coming off a win over Holloway and I think it outsells the Aldo rematch with all non-hardcore fans.

I also agree that he has to defend the FW belt next or drop it. If he's dead set on holding both and wants to fight again before his baby is born then to me it makes sense to give him Pettis if Pettis beats Holloway.

Yeah, it makes perfect sense to completely overlook the current interim champion in favour of a guy who's fought in the weightclass once and who's current record is 1-3.