McGregor McRetires? No. But let's talk about him anyway.

Supremo

Yeah, I get all that, but surely the best thing to do for all parties (and to be honest, one party has done this) is to draw a line under it and move on? He's got his big fight, he's main eventing and he'll get paid.

Only someone who's a bit thick would actively keep a "feud" going with the very men who provide him with the platform to make the kind of living he'd never have been able to otherwise.

He's still chatting about this supposed Mayweather fight as well, which is fucking ridiculous if we're honest. Surely the advice he should be getting from his coach and advisors is to forget Mayweather, forget Jon Jones and concentrate on the angry Mexican-American who strangled fuck out of him last time they met?

He's already made one mistake by letting his bruised ego get the better of his head in chasing this rematch at 170lbs in my opinion, so at this point he really should be thinking of nothing else.

Mayweather, long term planning if things pan out nicely, makes sense as the money would be fucking ridiculous. Even for a silly kickboxing exhibition between the two. I don't buy much of the back and forward between them as being remotely serious. They both likely have major respect for each other considering they both love cash and have made a ton of it fighting. Theres tons of huge money ufc matches for Conor. A lot rides on the next Nate fight though. Another beating and it could damage his hype significantly.

• 4 months later...
  • Paid Members

I thought I would bring up this thread again as there's just a fuck ton of things to talk about with Mcgregor.

Where does he go next? How the hell can he top what he's just achieved? Will he get his stake in the UFC as he currently craves? Is there a possibility we could see a 3 weight simultaneous champion?

The guy just has so many options for his next fight. Does he fight Khabib? Ferguson? Aldo? Woodley? Diaz or even GSP?

Before Saturday night I would have thought Mcgregor had little to no chance against Khabib but seeing the success Johnson had on the feet has given me hope that if Mcgregor can manage the distance, he could have a field day with Nurmagomedov. 

The problem to me is the featherweight title. How much longer can he put that division on hold before he defends the title? If it were me, I'd have the winner of Pettis/Hollaway face Aldo, and the winner face Mcgregor (if he decides to hold onto the 145llb belt). The same with the lightweight division, have Khabib fight Ferguson to determine the true number 1 contender in that division. 

The whole thing is just unprecedented in the sport and the problem I'm personally having now is the lull I find in between his fights. There's just no topping what we all saw over the weekend.

Whilst I'm a big DC fan, I just look at UFC 206 and even 207 (despite the shit hot card) and sit there thinking, well, it will be good, but nothing will come close until Mcgregor fights again. 

• Paid Members

The spanner, of course, is that there's every chance now that he doesn't fight until he's back from the birth of his kid. That could easily be a year away with the due date in May.

I thought it was interesting at the press conference that he didn't know when the due date was ... even down to the month. Without wanting to sounds like a complete dick, I wonder how planned it was.

• Paid Members

i think Diaz III should be next at 155lb. The problem is justifying putting the belt on the line. I know they make exceptions but i feel that would be a stretch when there's two clear cut contenders waiting in line.

If Conor plans on sitting out until post-baby i wouldn't be against seeing Khabib/Ferguson, and in that time get Diaz a fight at 155.

• Paid Members

It all depends on what Conor wants to do obviously but I think they should try and get Diaz to get a win under his belt against a contender and then fight Conor for the title if he wins. If he loses they can do the rubber match at any point down the line.

The trouble with doing Ferguson/Khabib is that both are ready for a title fight. If you make one of them lose in the meantime then you need to rebuild that fighter with at least another win before they can get be next in line. If Diaz doesn't want to fight, and McGregor doesn't take a break until after the birth of his child, then book McGregor against Khabib and have Ferguson fight the winner down the line. The problem is I guess that most guys want to stay as active as they can to make sure they get paid.

• Paid Members

The spanner, of course, is that there's every chance now that he doesn't fight until he's back from the birth of his kid. That could easily be a year away with the due date in May.

I thought it was interesting at the press conference that he didn't know when the due date was ... even down to the month. Without wanting to sounds like a complete dick, I wonder how planned it was.

I'm not saying this is the case at all, but you never know. His girlfriend is just that at the moment, his girlfriend. Until they marry, she has fuck all right to any of his cash. For someone who has been there through the extremely tough times in Mcgregor's life and stood by him, it could certainly run through her mind. Now she's pregnant she will be guaranteed support and part of the pie. 

Personally I don't think that's the case and that's just a cynical way of looking at it. 

The due date seemed bizarre as his girlfriend certainly looked far closer to the March due Mcgregor said at first than May. May is still 6 and a half months away, which means his girlfriend is 2 and half months pregnant. However when you saw her post fight she looked far bigger than 2 to 2 and a half months in. 

The trouble with doing Ferguson/Khabib is that both are ready for a title fight. If you make one of them lose in the meantime then you need to rebuild that fighter with at least another win before they can get be next in line.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. If the two fighters were huge draws then maybe, but neither are and with Mcgregor only able to fight so many fights, it makes perfect sense to eliminate one option. 

Edited by lambyUK

• Paid Members

Probably Diaz. Kavanagh was on the MMA Hour last night and Helwani asked him who he wanted next. Kavanagh downplayed everyone else and only hyped up Diaz, saying Diaz presented the most interesting set of skills to plan for etc. While Kavanagh pointed out it was only his opinion, you imagine he's got some clue as to what McGregor wants next and has some say.

We'll see, but I think the Diaz fight is definitely the one where he makes the most money at Lightweight.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

I'm not saying this is the case at all, but you never know. His girlfriend is just that at the moment, his girlfriend. Until they marry, she has fuck all right to any of his cash. For someone who has been there through the extremely tough times in Mcgregor's life and stood by him, it could certainly run through her mind. Now she's pregnant she will be guaranteed support and part of the pie. 

Personally I don't think that's the case and that's just a cynical way of looking at it. 

The due date seemed bizarre as his girlfriend certainly looked far closer to the March due Mcgregor said at first than May. May is still 6 and a half months away, which means his girlfriend is 2 and half months pregnant. However when you saw her post fight she looked far bigger than 2 to 2 and a half months in. 

Yeah, that's a good point. It's also completely possible that he could fit in another (even 2!) fights before May, so why even announce it - I guess her size meant he had to. I thought I'd seen it confirmed since that May is right, but maybe it is March.

I don't think they need to do McGregor/Diaz 3 next, the hook is always going to be there down the line. I like the sound of Khabib/Ferguson with the winner getting McGregor if he takes time off for his kid. If not straight up Khabib/McGregor with the winner getting Ferguson or vice versa.

The Woodley fight would be amazing but Conor going another fight without defending one of his current titles will not sit well with the hardcores I'm sure.

Regarding the Featherweight title I think giving up the title is the way to go. Nobody wants the Aldo rematch except Aldo and the division is just not as exciting for McGregor fights as the lightweight division.

• Paid Members

I don't think they need to do McGregor/Diaz 3 next, the hook is always going to be there down the line. I like the sound of Khabib/Ferguson with the winner getting McGregor if he takes time off for his kid. If not straight up Khabib/McGregor with the winner getting Ferguson or vice versa.

I agree. He could take on Diaz coming off a loss. Better to use his momentum in a fight that would benefit from it. Say against Khabib for example.

• Paid Members

I agree. He could take on Diaz coming off a loss. Better to use his momentum in a fight that would benefit from it. Say against Khabib for example.

The problem you have with Khabib is that he's the riskiest opponent for him to take. For starters the guy is a monster and has a style that isn't the most pleasing to the casual eye. Secondly his injury record is abysmal and as Mcgregor stated for him to commit to Khabib he needs to see him stay active for a prolonged period.

It's why I think having Khabib face Ferguson makes all the sense in the world. Have that headline a fox show or something and build those 2 guys up further to eventually face Mcgregor. Then at least Mcgregor goes up against one of those guys with a bigger profile.

Edited by lambyUK

• Paid Members

Whichever way it plays some fighters are gonna be left disappointed.

Tony Ferguson dropped the ball big time by not using mic time to demand the title fight, that simple moment may be the reason why they go with Khabib.

• Paid Members

Things can change, like, but both McGregor and has coach downplayed the Khabib fight for different reasons. McGregor saying he can't trust Khabib's injury record and Kavanagh saying we saw early doors at 205 what would happen should Conor get his hands on Khabib, so he's not an interesting opponent.

All things considered, Khabib should get the next title shot, but McGregor's camp are trying to create some distance with that possibility.

Edited by ColinBollocks