McGregor McRetires? No. But let's talk about him anyway.

Supremo

• Paid Members

Hendricks is worse though. His voice really grates on me. That interview with the belt that Herbie posted is another example of why I grew to dislike him. He's never said or done anything too bad, but he's just impossible to warm to. 

Punctuating every sentence with "you know what I mean" and constantly spitting tobacco spit into clear water bottles. Annoying.

This in particular was fucking vile. 

• Paid Members

I've never liked Hendricks since the whole VADA fiasco. His excuses were always a bit suspect to me and it seems GSP was on to something, because isn't it an interesting coincidence Hendricks career started to take a rapid slide when UFC decided to eliminate PEDs. Coincidence, of course.

Now that Conor'/ been stripped of the145 Title, I'd love nothing more for him to go back down in a year or so, challenge for it again, and win it back. The internet would burst.

This time in 12 seconds and never defend it.

• Paid Members

The great thing is, there seems to be a big portion of fans who feels vindicated that McGregor's had a belt taken off him. Conor will just play up the fact that he's still the Champion and that the new Champion is a faker until he moves back down though. Even if Conor does go back to 145 he'll get first crack at the belt so nothings really changed.

• Paid Members

Should Aldo eventually beat whoever wins at UFC 206 to become the Undisputed (LOL) Champion, it's going to be fun to see how regularly he defends it. There's every chance in the world he'll take longer than Conor did, and yet I fully expect there won't be anywhere near the outcry.

• Paid Members

To be fair though, as annoying as Aldo's inactivity is, it was down to injuries. Whereas Conor was holding onto the 145 belt and choosing not to defend it. I completely get why he took the bigger Diaz and Alvarez fights but I don't think it was unfair that people were saying that McGregor keeping a belt indefinitely despite showing no real interest in going back down to 145 was a bit shit.

Does McGregor even really give a shit anyway? I was always under the impression he just wanted to hold onto the featherweight belt long enough so that he could get his moment of holding the two titles up in the cage at 205. That was the special moment he was after and he'll always be in the history books as the first fighter to hold two UFC titles simultaneously.

Edit - Besides, was Aldo even that inactive as champion? He only fought once in 2015, a grand total of 13 seconds, so yeah that's not good. But in general he used to defend his title twice a year usually. I don't think GSP really was any more active as champ. Anderson either. And then you had Cain, Cruz, Weidman and Pettis who were all constantly out injured during their title reigns but they never got half the shit Aldo did.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Looking at his record, I would say Aldo hasn't fought enough.

2016 - Only fought once

2015 - 1 time

2014 - 2

2013 - 2

2012 - 1

2011 - 2

In comparison, Mcgregor, since 2013, has fought 10 times. In the same time, Aldo only has fought 5 times and Mcgregor was out for a year too with a serious injury in that time frame.

Whilst in comparison to other champions is debatable, but say Anderson Silva, whilst he was Champion he fought every year 2-3 times regularly so there is a big difference. Never at any point did he just defend it once a year. 

Edited by lambyUK

It seems they want to give him until his girlfriend has given birth before giving him a fight, that way he can fight in say June/July & November/December in big fights.

Khabib will probably fight ugly Tony in March and he's started his own fight team in Russia paid for by the Billionaire who runs Fight Nights Global the Russian promotion, so no AKA injuries, although he might have them corner him like certain fighters like GSP like to have Greg Jackson corner them but barely train there.

• Paid Members

Lamby - true but it always just seemed harsh to me. Dana was saying for years that Aldo had a back problem that's plagued him pretty much his whole title reign. He used to have to go through some big chiropractic procedure before every camp just to prepare him for training. That he was so good and so dominant for so long despite this is enough for me. Yeah, I'd have liked to have seen him fight more. But I don't really get why some fans get so arsey about it as if it personally effects them. Especially when you'd have everyone heaping sympathy on Cruz every time he got injured yet bashing Aldo and others.

I'm sure Aldo would rather have been more active. He'd have made another payday or two a year plus his legacy would've been even stronger. But not everyone can fight every other month like Donald Cerrone does.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

There's been two times when, for whatever reason, Aldo hasn't defended his belt in over a year. He beat Chad Mendes at UFC 142, January 14th 2012, and then didn't fight again until Frankie Edgar at UFC 156 on February 2nd 2013. Then when he beat Chad Mendes at UFC 179 on October 25th 2014 he didn't fight Conor until UFC 194, December 12th 2015.

Don't get me wrong, I get that injuries and bad luck can happen. It doesn't particularly bother me that Aldo doesn't fight that often. I just feel that if people were so up in arms about Conor not defended his belt, why weren't they as equally annoyed about Aldo not defending in the past? And why is it pretty much a certainty that they'all do fuckin' nothin' when he does it again in the future? It's such obvious, transparent bullshit.

I mean legitimately, people were calling for Conor to be stripped when the RDA fight was announced, about sixty fucking days after he won the belt. By contrast, how long ago was UFC 200? Is Aldo injured? Why is he allowed to have a belt right now, if he's to be held to the same standards as Conor? At least Conor has been fighting. Aldo has just been crying and refusing fights. I'm fine with UFC 206 being for the Interim Title, but if the winner should be fighting anyone then it should be Conor.

I mean legitimately, people were calling for Conor to be stripped when the RDA fight was announced, about sixty fucking days after he won the belt.

Yeah, that makes little sense. 

It would have been like calling for Penn to be stripped of his Lightweight belt in 2008 when he decided to take on GSP for the Welterweight title. I can't remember many doing that.