McGregor McRetires? No. But let's talk about him anyway.

Supremo

For a championship fight, fighters need to be on championship weight, not even the usual one pound allowance. So they couldn't put the featherweight belt up with both fighters weighing in 5 pounds heavier. Makes sense too, say Alvarez really drains himself to get to 150, wins the belt, but can't actually make 145 in his next fight? Eddie's a short arse, but he does carry a good amount of muscle on his frame.

Where it gets ridiculous is if McGregor comes back to 145lbs and defends the title against someone who isn't the interim champion. We'd have Aldo, who beat Edgar, sitting with an interim title, and Conor facing Pettis for the actual title?

I know the rules have generally been thrown out the window these days, but even that is pretty fucking mental by todays standards.

Hang on, wasn't it you who was arguing on here before that when Brock Lesnar was the champion he should've defended against Cain even though Carwin was the interim champ?

Don't get me wrong, I agree with what you're saying. It'd be a bit much if they just ignored the interim title and let McGregor choose someone else at 145 to fight. But I'm sure you were arguing for that to actually happen in the Brock/Cain/Carwin scenario.

Did I? I don't recall saying that? Maybe I did though, although I don't remember the circumstances for it back then?

• Paid Members

+1 to the calls that McGregor should defend against Aldo. It's not just a case of Aldo being the interim champion, or that McGregor hasn't defended the FW title either. The justification for McGregor not wanting to fight Aldo, i.e. that he beat him in 13 seconds, does not count any more; everyone has a right to earn their way back into contention, regardless of how closely or badly they lost. Given how decisive McGregor's loss to Diaz was in their first fight, such an argument would've justified foregoing the rematch.

I personally think Aldo's loss has led to people unfairly dismissing his right to challenge anyway. Let's not forget he was an undefeated monster for most of his career, that he'd been the UFC's only FW champion, that he'd been champion of WEC/UFC since 2009, averaging two title defences a year until Conor dethroned him, and that he's beaten three of the current top five, including Frankie Edgar twice. He also beat Mendes, a former No.1 contender, twice.

Why would anyone want to argue he shouldn't have another title shot? He's still probably the best in the division after Conor.

• Paid Members

can't disagree, Aldo came back and looked great against Edgar so you can't really argue against him having a shot...although Max Holloway i'd say is on a level pegging for that shot seeings that he's won 9 straight fights and several against legit top 5 fighters.

McGregor's just a unique case, he's in a field of one in terms of what he can and can't do because he's a money making machine. If Conor does decide to fight at 155lb, Aldo needs to keep quiet, knuckle down and defend his interim title as if it's the real title.

I'd even go as far as saying that a 13 second loss, being KO'ed with the first punch virtually lends itself more to a rematch than if Aldo had been taken apart in the same way Alvarez was.

It was a flash knock down, and whilst impressive and McGregor deserves credit, it was what it was, and really gives us no indication of how a fight would go between them both should it go beyond the opening exchange.

• Paid Members

Either way, though, the fact is that some time has passed since he lost to McGregor, he's still youngish, and who's to say he won't have improved since then? I can't believe that someone as dominant and proud as Aldo would've come away from the McGregor fight having learned nothing, and would've spent no time working on his game to try and get revenge for that kind of humiliation. Conor ups his game every time; why wouldn't someone of Aldo's calibre not have also done the same?

I'm a big fan of Conor McGregor; people who continue to discount him do so at their own peril. But he's not the only one who evolves with each fight.

• Paid Members

For me Aldo needs to go out there and beat everyone in the division until Mcgregor has no alternative to either face him or vacate the belt.

If Aldo beats the winner of Pettis and Holloway there really are no more options for Mcgregor at FW.

Whilst there are still other viable Featherweight options it gives Mcgregor get outs into coming back down to face Aldo.

In reality if Aldo swallows his pride for one more fight he could increase his bargaining power 10 fold by finally being able to call Conor's bluff.

• Paid Members

For me Aldo needs to go out there and beat everyone in the division until Mcgregor has no alternative to either face him or vacate the belt.

:confused: after what Aldo has achived in the division, harsh Lamby, harsh.

• Paid Members

:confused: after what Aldo has achived in the division, harsh Lamby, harsh.

You've plucked a small bit there Egg and ignored the rest. I've said all he needs to do to achieve that is fight one more time.

It's not about Aldo proving his talent but more about him being able to take away some of Mcgregor's bargaining power whilst giving himself more clout.

Right now Mcgregor holds all the chips but if Aldo has beaten everyone he could finally get the answer whether or not Mcgregor is talking shit about his willingness to drop to 145 again.

• Paid Members

Lamby, im not trying to pick holes but you're posts have about 3/4 different opinions in them.

There's no differences of opinion at all.

My post was completely in support of Aldo here.

I don't see how asking him to clean the division out by fighting one fight is harsh at all.

The whole point is Aldo taking back some of the power he lost in his loss to Mcgregor. If he does that he can force the ufc's hand.

Edited by lambyUK

If Aldo beats the winner of Pettis and Holloway there really are no more options for Mcgregor at FW.

Whilst there are still other viable Featherweight options it gives Mcgregor get outs into coming back down to face Aldo.

In reality if Aldo swallows his pride for one more fight he could increase his bargaining power 10 fold by finally being able to call Conor's bluff.

Sorry Lamby, but that's absolute shite mate.