ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Yoel fucks up most of the human race.

I'm in the same camp as Lamby. I'm not that arsed about Bisping vs GSP. I don't know what it is but that fight has just never grabbed me. It's a good fight and there's enough questions about GSP after the layoff and Bisping's defensive grappling and GSP going up in weight etc etc. It's a good fight but it's just missing something for me. Once the promotion kicks in I'm sure I'll be a bit more into it. But I'm not that bothered at the minute. There's other fights I'd rather see them both in right now than against each other.

Whatever though, I'll take it. And it's nice to see Bisping get this payday. I hope he really cleans up financially on this fight. The man's been an absolute soldier over the years and fought every cunt thrown at him. Risky fights, big names, guys who were suspected of PED use, dangerous opponents who didn't have huge names and were more risk than reward, he fought all sorts. I'm not with this recent silly talk that he's ducking the tough fights. He's a man who knows the sand timer is running out on his career and he's using the title as a leverage tool to bag himself a few big paydays before it's all over. Bisping's a marmite character and there's a lot of things you could call him over the years but a coward isn't one of them.

Sucks for my main man Yoel though, this does.

I truly don't fancy GSP's chances against most of the top Middleweights, even if he makes it past Bisping. Most of the top 5 are bigger and superior wrestlers - we saw with his last fight that GSP can struggle if he's in there with a strong, excellent wrestler, with good stand up. A freak like Yoel is a nightmare for him.

Agreed.

While Bisping does have strong takedown defence, he's a better style match-up for GSP than other top Middleweights. Bisping doesn't pose much of a threat in terms of offensive wrestling. Rarely has he had 1-shot knockout power. He's also less likely to press GSP up against the cage and smother him either. The likes of Weidman, Yoel, and Rockhold would pose these risks to a greater extent. 

I'm still not sure who is going to win though. Despite his lay-off, I expected the bookies to be a bit kinder to GSP. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, GSP's no dummy. He recognises that this is the best shot he's had at winning the middleweight title. It's not a foregone conclusion and Bisping poses some problems but when compared to the last few champs at 185 the GSP definitely matches up better with Bisping than he would've against Rockhold, Weidman or prime Anderson.

I actually think GSP has a very realistic shot at becoming the first ever UFC Triple Crown winner (UFC titles in three different weight classes). He conquered 170. I'd say he has a good chance of dethroning Bisping at 185. And he's been saying for ages he was a small welterweight and could drop to 155. So if McGregor's still champ then, that's another massive payday and a THIRD title to go for, and if he's anywhere close to prime form I could see him beating McGregor as well.

We'll see though. Three years out is ages in combat sports so the jury's out.

Edited by wandshogun09

There's no point complaining any more about Bisping. He's clearly all about the money and doesn't give a damn if fans perceive him as a fighting champion or not, so I'd be wasting time and text venting about it. As it stands, GSP was talking about cutting to 155, wasn't the largest welterweight, is jumping UP in weight for the first time in his career, and hasn't fought in... what will be 4 years or close to by the time it actually goes down. But hey, it's an opportunity for Bisping to get a win over a legend and make that sweet, sweet cash.

I can only hope GSP surprises the fuck out of Bisping and picks him apart over 5 rounds. Or, imagine if GSP scored his first finish in forever?

Glad to see GSP returning, in any event. At least I'll be invested in the fight when it happens. Can't remember the last time there was such a clear face/heel dynamic in a UFC fight for me.

GSP was completely non committal when asked will he defend the Middleweight title if he wins vs Bisping during that press conference. Banging on about the UFC being a stock market and you fight the person whose stock is highest. That worries me. I can see a right mess if he wins.

Bisping said he is down to fight Yoel next if he wins. So tbh I hope he does.

• Paid Members

Ha, that thumbnail is class. GSP's face there.

GSP was completely non committal when asked will he defend the Middleweight title if he wins vs Bisping during that press conference. Banging on about the UFC being a stock market and you fight the person whose stock is highest. That worries me. I can see a right mess if he wins.

I'm telling you, if GSP wins this fight he's going to campaign for a shot at McGregor's title at 155 (if McGregor's still champ by then). It's not only the most lucrative path for GSP to take, for his legacy he could be the first man to win UFC titles in three weight classes. That's big. He's already probably the GOAT, that would just further cement it.

And anyone bashing Bisping for taking this fight, GSP's pushing for it just as much. The UFC wanted to do it obviously. Put yourself in Bisping's position. You've fought everyone and done everything the UFC has asked of you over a ten year career, you've had your share of losses so you know it can all go up in smoke, you probably don't have that long left as a top level fighter, you're late 30s and you're already a cyclops. GSP wants to give you the payday of your life and the UFC are on board with it. Do you really turn that down to fight Yoel Romero? I've said as much or more than anyone that Yoel deserves this shot more. I'm probably the biggest Yoel Romero fan on here. But it's so easy to take the moral high ground when you're lying in bed with your phone in one hand and itching your balls with the other and the decision doesn't effect you. People have to remember, and this comes up every time something like this happens, this is PRIZE fighting. That's what it's been called for decades upon decades. Boxing, MMA, Kickboxing, it's all prize fighting. And the prize is cold hard cash. It's not like these guys have a cushy office job where they're making a nice salary and have job security that will see them comfortably in that role until they can collect their pension. A fighter's career can end in the blink of an eye. So when an opportunity like this presents itself they jump all over it, grab it by the udders and milk it for all its worth. It's the same reason GSP fought Nick Diaz when Johny Hendricks was the clear top contender in 2013. Same reason Lennox Lewis fought Mike Tyson in 2002 when Tyson was finishing up. It's gone on forever and it always will as long as fighters are paid according to what that draw in tickets and on PPV. Those guys will always drive the sport and rules will bend to accommodate them. Everyone needs to get used to it or they'll be forever complaining and that's not a good look for anyone.

I'd have preferred to see Bisping vs Romero next as much as anyone. And of all the potential fights for GSP's return, this was one of the ones I was least into. I'd have rathered see him vs McGregor or even that '5 years too late superfight' against Anderson Silva. But I don't get why anyone is bashing Bisping for going this route. He's saying he'll fight Romero next and I believe him. And Bisping's pretty active so we shouldn't have to wait too long if Bisping beats GSP. The mess would be if GSP wins and then vacates the belt to fight McGregor at 155. Fuck knows what would happen then. They'd probably create two interim titles and do Bisping vs Romero and Jacare vs Rockhold or something and have the winners face off in a unification. Not ideal and this interim shit can fuck off but whatever. We'll get there in the end.

And Romero's going to end up with that gold on the other side of all this regardless. Same end result whatever journey the belt takes. Yoel is the final destination.

• Paid Members

That's another reason I'm not that into this fight. I knew Bisping would go on the the offensive against GSP in the build up but you know there's no real animosity there. Bisping's said loads of times over the years that he respects GSP and that GSP is impossible to dislike. Stuff like that. They've probably been the two most vocal anti-PED figures of all the high profile MMA fighters over the last few years too, so they actually have a common ground there.

Bisping's doing this as a mind game to try to fuck with GSP and thrown him off mentally. Bisping's one of those guys like McGregor where he believes the fight starts the moment the contract is signed. So the press conferences, the media tour, the weigh ins etc it's all a part of the battle. And Bisping is good at it. I still think part of the reason the Rockhold fight went how it did was effected by Bisping's performance at the press conference going in. Rockhold looked well gotten to and I think Bisping's overpowering confidence irked him just enough. And if there was one weakness to GSP when he left in 2013 it was his mental state. He was frazzled and talking about outside distractions and stuff. You'd assume the three years off has rectified that but it's all Bisping really has to go on right now. So expect plenty of Bisping just blistering GSP with trash talk throughout the build up. It'll probably help sell the fight plus it might, might, maybe effect GSP mentally as well. He hopes.

• Paid Members

I'm completely into this fight after seeing the press conference. What a joy to watch. They bounced off each other perfectly. Bisping, clearly drunk, shouting and screaming, calling him a, "fucking lizard," whilst Georges very calmly smiles and plays the clean cut babyface throughout. Brilliant. I've missed GSP.

Do we think there's any chance they do the fight over here? Stack the card and I think they could sell out a football stadium.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

Doubt it. Dana's saying that ideally they want it on UFC 213 which is the big July PPV with the whole International Fight Week bells and whistles. So Vegas. As usual.

I haven't watched the press conference yet. Will do at some point over the weekend. Maybe that will get me a bit more up for it. I don't hate the fight at all. Just don't see it as some dream fight.

• Paid Members

I take it they've got nothing booked in Canada for the foreseeable? That's where they should be hosting the return of one of Canada's biggest stars.

• Paid Members

206 in December was in Toronto and I think that's where GSP's return was initially being targeted for but the negotiations broke down. They were in Canada just last week as well with the Black Beast vs the Browne Wifebeater. They'll be back in Canada no doubt.

Actually, I can see the eventual GSP vs McGregor fight being in a huge stadium in Canada or something. What was the name of the one they went to for GSP vs Shields? It was the Skydome under a new name wasn't it? Imagine the atmosphere of McGregor heeling it up in Canada against the ultimate white meat hometown good guy GSP? I think that fight breaks all the records.

Just watched that presser and enjoyed it. Bisping was clearly feeling the effects of 1 or 12 beverages but he still never misses a beat on these things. I liked the way GSP handled it as well. It's early days in the build up and we'll see how he does as it goes on and Bisping keeps digging at him but he seems to be enjoying it so far. Burnt out GSP of 2013 would've probably got up and walked out halfway through that press conference. He was loving this though. Got a kick out of him trying to wind Bisping up at the end there as well - "I can smell the alco'ol, man. I can smell the alco'ol."