ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Last I heard the UFC offered Nick fights with Robbie Lawler and Demian Maia and both times he didn't even respond from what Dana said. He didn't even refuse from the sound of it, he just didn't even bother getting back to Dana at all.

I think he's holding out for another payday against GSP or McGregor or something like that so he can fight once, make a fuckload of money then piss off for two years again. People can say he doesn't deserve this and that but he's pretty much made it clear for a few years now that unless they're offering him something mega he's done. I don't blame the UFC keep offering him these fights but they shouldn't be surprised when he declines them. If anything at least Nick sticks to his word. He's not constantly banging on about wanting fights or saying he's been unfairly treated. The UFC are coming to him with offers.

I wish he'd accepted the Lawler fight though. I've wanted to see that rematch for years.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Firas Zahabi was on the MMA Hour yesterday and said GSP isn't even thinking about the welterweight title and that Michael Bisping and Conor McGregor are the two most interesting fights for him.

GSP's no mug, is he? He knows he'll make a better payday against Bisping and especially McGregor than he would against the likes of Woodley, Thompson, Maia or Lawler. 170 is full of risky fights for relatively little reward compared to what's on offer outside welterweight.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

That would be the perfect scenario. I honestly don't see GSP being much different than when he left. Look at the way Cruz came back and Korean Zombie from similar periods of time out. He's not past it in age, and didn't take a heap of punishment in his career. If the mind is 100% willing, then I think his body will be capable of producing.

What the bigger question becomes, I think, is if GSP with the same skill and performance level is still as much of an elite fighter as the current elite. Will the game have passed him by or are the top guys in the game now no better than the top guys of 3 1/2 years ago?

A lot of the reason he left when he did, other than private issues whatever they happened to be, was his problem with the lack of quality drug testing. That's been rectified now and so the time out may have done him a favour or two.

• Paid Members

I guess the thing to discuss with regard to GSP is: assuming he returns at somewhere near his prime level, what were his notable weaknesses, and is there anyone around who could exploit them? Conversely, is there anyone around who is capable of dealing with and neutralising his strengths, or even surpassing them?

• Paid Members

That would be the perfect scenario. I honestly don't see GSP being much different than when he left. Look at the way Cruz came back and Korean Zombie from similar periods of time out. He's not past it in age, and didn't take a heap of punishment in his career. If the mind is 100% willing, then I think his body will be capable of producing.

One of the main reasons GSP decided to step away was due to the damage he took post surgery. I remember reading about some weird shit he was coming out with as well.

This was GSP post Hendricks:-

georges-st-pierre-ufc-167-post.jpg

Post Condit:-

141_georges_st-pierre.0_standard_352.0.j

Post Diaz:-

411_gsp.0_standard_709.0.jpg

What I don't like about the whole thing is GSP not being interested in championships, and simply wanting Superfights. He's come out stating he's not interested in the Welterweight title and Firas Zihabi says it's Mcgregor and Bisping that interests him.

In all honesty, GSP involved in non-championship fights (or at least not against the best possible opponent) doesn't interest me in the slightest. The whole intrigue about GSP for me was him proving he's the best. His style isn't the most eye catching, and he's not the best in hyping a fight either. 

The one thing that terrifies me is imagine if he does go against Bisping and wins? Then what? Feed him to Yoel Romero? Jacare? Rockhold? Fucking hell,  that's absolute insanity. 

That said, if he could make 155llbs, I'd be a lot more interested. 

Edited by lambyUK

• Paid Members

Carbomb, depends on the division. We saw with his last fight v Johnny Hendicks, GSP can potentially struggle when he's against a proper strong wrestler. With that in mind, middleweight will probably be a bastard for him. Waiting for a chance are Jacare, silver medalist and beast Yoel Romero, while big Weidman is no slouch either. Of course, GSP is the best ever at nullifying a foes weapons, so I wouldn't bet against him winning, just will be a tough match up those three, should he not establish a dominance on the feet.

• Paid Members

Carbomb, depends on the division. We saw with his last fight v Johnny Hendicks, GSP can potentially struggle when he's against a proper strong wrestler. With that in mind, middleweight will probably be a bastard for him. Waiting for a chance are Jacare, silver medalist and beast Yoel Romero, while big Weidman is no slouch either. Of course, GSP is the best ever at nullifying a foes weapons, so I wouldn't bet against him winning, just will be a tough match up those three, should he not establish a dominance on the feet.

That's fair, although I admit to being a little surprised that MW is being considered the first option, given that he's known for being a WW; also, he resisted all attempts to get him up to MW for that super-fight with Anderson. Would've thought people would be discussing matches with Woodley, Wonderboy, Maia, Diaz, WW McGregor, and Cowboy as a more natural progression.

Given your analysis, it would seem to me that Woodley and Maia are the potential nightmares for him.