ColinBollocks

Maybe it is a silly question, although I look at it like this:

Bisping is in the best fight shape of his like and has had some real good fights recently. Plus he's the champion. Whilst GSP will have stayed in shape for movies/whatever it is his does now, he hasnt had an actual fight in ages, so could there be nerves/"ring rust" or something else that might lead him to lose?

I like both guys, and was a big fan of GSP when he was fighting, but it's a fair question to ask I think.

• Paid Members

Who would you pick out of Bisping/GSP to win?

This is a joke, right?

It's a perfectly valid question.
You're as stiff as a board, lamby.

Outside of GSP doing a Rockhold and totally underestimating Bisping (Which is not GSP'S style) , I see no real way Bisping wins. A slight size advantage granted, but GSP is far too good everywhere to be troubled for me. Bisping's biggest asset is his cardio, and I just don't see that as a problem for GSP.

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members

You're as stiff as a board, Llamby.

Outside of GSP doing a Rockhold and totally underestimating Bisping, I see no real way Bisping wins. A slight size advantage granted, but GSP is far too good everywhere to be troubled for me. Bisping's biggest asset is his cardio, and I just don't see that as a problem for GSP.

Have you ever watched Bisping before? I'm being serious here.

From what you're saying, the only thing Bisping is good at is cardio? Bloody hell. 

Bisping has impeccable takedown defence. Watch his fights with Chael Sonnen & Rashad Evans in particular. Both of those guys are far bigger and much more accomplished wrestlers than GSP, and both struggled to get Bisping to the mat.

If Bisping avoids the takedown, then it comes down to how they do on the feet. Bisping is a far more accomplished striker than GSP as well.

Personally, I think it's hard to call as it all depends on how well Bisping can avoid the takedown. If he keeps it standing, and history says he will, Bisping holds the advantage. 

Edited by lambyUK

• Paid Members

You're as stiff as a board, Llamby.

Outside of GSP doing a Rockhold and totally underestimating Bisping, I see no real way Bisping wins. A slight size advantage granted, but GSP is far too good everywhere to be troubled for me. Bisping's biggest asset is his cardio, and I just don't see that as a problem for GSP.

Have you ever watched Bisping before? I'm being serious here.

From what you're saying, the only thing Bisping is good at is cardio? Dear me Silky.

Bisping has impeccable takedown defence. Watch his fights with Chael Sonnen & Rashad Evans in particular. Both of those guys are far bigger and much more accomplished wrestlers than GSP, and both struggled to get Bisping to the mat.

If Bisping avoids the takedown, then it comes down to how they do on the feet. Bisping is a far more accomplished striker than GSP as well.

Personally, I think it's hard to call as it all depends on how well Bisping can avoid the takedown. If he keeps it standing, and history says he will, Bisping holds the advantage.

No, I've never seen him fight before. Is he any good? Deary me.

I'm not taking anything away from his skills, Bisping is a great Fighter, I just think GSP is better everywhere.

Regarding the wrestling, GSP doesn't have a college background granted, but it's widely acknowledged that his wrestling is up there with some of the best in the game. We've heard that countless times in the Past.

If it were to stay on the feet, I see Bisping getting jabbed to death. For me, GSP has the advantage everywhere.

I'm pretty stumped on Bisping vs GSP.

GSP is the better fighter of the two. No question there. However, GSP was a smallish welterweight when he last fought. Bisping has displayed decent takedown defence in the past. Check his fight with Sonnen. I know that Kennedy overwhelmed him at times during their fight, but that was a different time. The game has probably changed. Also, while GSP is the better boxer of the two,I don't think he's likely to stop Bisping.  

If pushed, I would favour GSP to win on points by scoring with more volume. However, if Bisping hurt GSP, all bets are off. Bisping is a superb finisher when he smells blood. I could picture him stunning GSP, and pouncing on him for a stoppage. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

No, I've never seen him fight before. Is he any good? Deary me.

I'm not taking anything away from his skills, Bisping is a great Fighter, I just think GSP is better everywhere.

Regarding the wrestling, GSP doesn't have a college background granted, but it's widely acknowledged that his wrestling is up there with some of the best in the game. We've heard that countless times in the Past.

If it were to stay on the feet, I see Bisping getting jabbed to death. For me, GSP has the advantage everywhere.

I don't necessarily disagree with how you see the fight going, but I was taking exception to you dismissing Bisping completely.

You're correct about GSP's wrestling. There is a distinction between MMA wrestling and amateur wrestling, and GSP is one of the best of all time in MMA wrestling. But, the guys I mentioned are far bigger than GSP and for Bisping to nullify more powerful wrestlers than GSP, then GSP is going to find it a lot harder to take a man who once fought at light heavyweight down compared to the older guys he faced at a weight 15llbs lighter.

Furthermore GSP post surgery was a different beast compared to what he was pre surgery and you also need to factor in that he hasn't fought in several years and is now older.

For me, the fight is a coin toss in which I slightly favour Bisping due to being bigger and possessing the better footwork. 

Edited by lambyUK

• Paid Members

Like I said, I'm not dismissing Bisping, if you've ever read this forum you'd know I've praised him loads, but when you match him skill for skill with GSP, I just can't see it.

I wonder how his eye fairs against GSP's jab barrage too. we saw what happened to Koscheck, and he had 2 good eyes going in to that fight.

If Bisping beats GSP, he will have gone from being an ageing 34 fight veteran, without a single win over a top 3 ranked opponent, to having these names on his resume.

Anderson Silva - Consensus ranked top 3 of all time. 

Luke Rockhold - Current best Middleweight in the World, at a time where the Middleweight division is arguably at its best ever. 

Dan Henderson - Consensus ranked top 10 of all time (perhaps even top 5)

GSP - Consensus ranked top 3 of all time. 

Obviously, there is a lot of context to consider. However, it is still an amazing story regardless.

Edited by jimufctna24