ColinBollocks

They obviously thought he would be ready by July, August at the latest, they can't just hold up the division all year because GSP wants to fight in November, it just holds up the division, Bisping is ready to fight now, I'm sure he would love to fight GSP but you can't hold up the title, while the healthy champion sits waiting.

15 minutes ago, the_mole said:

They obviously thought he would be ready by July, August at the latest, they can't just hold up the division all year because GSP wants to fight in November, it just holds up the division, Bisping is ready to fight now, I'm sure he would love to fight GSP but you can't hold up the title, while the healthy champion sits waiting.

GSP was shooting for earlier in the year and would have been ready for it. Bisping then elected to have knee surgery, so GSP made other plans, because he’s still got to earn a living, and it ended up that the timing for July didn’t work out. GSP isn’t blameless in that he shouldn’t have expected the middleweight division to continue to be held up. But the majority of the blame lies with the UFC, for giving GSP the leverage to hold up the middleweight division for as long as he did, for announcing the fight without having the date set in stone, and for dragging their fight on the initial contract negotiations.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

So it looks like GSP-Woodley looks more likely than the Bisping  fight being ressurected.

http://www.tsn.ca/white-gsp-will-fight-for-welterweight-title-in-return-1.756589

A little underwhelmed by the idea of this fight really, even more so if its against Maia. Would still be a good fight I'm sure, but just doesn't quite have that allure and big fight feel of GSP/Bisping.

• Paid Members

Yeah. Plus, it's an easier way to set up that McGregor match, should GSP get past the champion.

I think a lot of people were becoming resentful towards GSP because of how he was handling the Bisping match. At least at WW, you can at least understand him walking into a title match when he well pleases, because it's the belt he vacated.

Edited by ColinBollocks

I was quietly looking forward to GSP vs Bisping. Both the fight and the pre-fight hoopla. The only reservation I had was that it kept the division on hold. I agree that GSP has more of a future at Welterweight. 

The prospect of another interim title doesn't warm the cockles though. 

"We're trying to put together that Bisping-Romero fight," White said. "If [Bisping] can't fight this summer, we'll probably create an interim title between Romero and Robert Whittaker."

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

It all went a bit quite with GSP, but he's been back in the news recently. First off, he's apparently been phoning Dana White to get him to rebook his Bisping fight for the Winter. Now Woodley is calling his bluff, saying he doesn't want any of the heat he brings.

Wonder what's next for GSP and whether he's still an in shape fat guy.

• Paid Members

What I found odd was GSP phoning into Bisping's podcast and hearing them both having a normal conversation acting all buddy buddy. It felt like they shit away the final interest anyone has in the fight. 

Edited by lambyUK

• Paid Members

Bisping talking about retirement on the Anik and Florian podcast...

"It scares me to death. It fucking scares me, man. It really does. Listen, my mum and dad were great. They loved me very much and my dad worked hard and this and that. But there was no silver spoon in my mouth, mate. No fucking silver spoon, far from it. I didn't get an education, I left school at 16 and I've done every shitty dead-end job under the sun. And I still remember being flat broke and borrowing money off my mum and she didn't have any money to start with, you know. And just not being able to pay the bills. And now we live a very good lifestyle and I want my kids to continue living that lifestyle. I don't spend money. Alright, I've got a nice car, so fucking what? I'm allowed to have a nice car. But generally, I don't spend any money. If you look at my bank balance, the only money that gets spent is by my wife and kids going here, there and everywhere while I'm working. And I do it all for them. And I'm just scared, I mean there's shit on the table. Yesterday I was at a meeting, then I went to UFC Tonight, then I did interviews. It's non-stop. I'm a tireless worker. And yeah, retirement scares me. I can't wait to retire because, believe it or not, getting punched in the face is getting kind of old. But at the same time I do enjoy delivering a good punch to the face. Maybe two more fights. And that's me done."