ColinBollocks

10 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Thing is, I'd still give Nurmagomedov a chance against most guys bigger than him - his sheer strength and wrestling ability make him an absolute tank, not to mention that wrestling seems to be a discipline that, to a certain degree, negates height advantage.

Yeah, but it would be the 155lbs champion facing a guy who won the title at 185lbs in his last outing, wouldn't it? Khabib may be a warrior, but he's not stupid. He comes up in weight and his first fight is against an all-time great who's already won gold at 185lbs? That's lunacy, especially for a guy who's undefeated record is part of his selling point.

1 hour ago, Chunk said:

Is he? He looks close to death when he weighs in and is a tiramisu away from missing weight at all times.

He's competed at lightweight his entire UFC career, hasn't he? He's the lightweight champion. He's undefeated at that weight class, never really looked in trouble, never been dropped, any of that. I'd suggest that lightweight seems to be his ideal weight going on what we've seen thus far. Does he cut a fair bit to get there? Yeah, but tons of fighters do that. There's nothing to suggest he's a natural welter. For all we know he could move up and face problems against longer, heavier guys.

Will he maybe move up one day? Who knows? But the time to do that isn't against an all time great who's just won the title at 185lbs. He'd be insane to go down that route.

3 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

The sticking point seems to be he wants the fight more than GSP does. GSP is willing to walk away no bother. Where Khabib is still pushing for it. 

If it does happen, it might mean Khabib bending to something like that 

That true. Khabib, having become champion, is now assuming the same role that he criticised others for. He's overlooking the actual contenders for his title in favour of the big money fight against a GSP. He talked about how he was going to put the 155lbs division back on track, establish himself as a champion who takes on the deserving challengers, but as soon as he beats Conor he's looking for a Mayweather fight, or to face GSP at catchweight.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

The sticking point seems to be he wants the fight more than GSP does. GSP is willing to walk away no bother. Where Khabib is still pushing for it. 

If it does happen, it might mean Khabib bending to something like that 

In an odd way, if GSP insisted on something that would put Nurmagomedov at a disadvantage, this would actually be consistent with his "Art Of War" mentality and style.

• Paid Members

I get the impression the UFC are very reluctant to put GSP in another title fight. Otherwise it probably would have been fairly easy to make a fight between Woodley and Georges, or announce now that GSP Vs Khabib would happen when Khabib's suspension is over. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

He's since replied saying that "we don't make the decisions," in what seems like a dig at the UFC. Surely this is the kind of big fight the new owners would be all over?

Definitely, but Dana seems to have an odd relationship with GSP ever since he walked away and called them out on the PED issues.

Mind, GSP spent ages talking about wanting to come back, which the UFC should have jumped on as soon as he announced it, but Dana spent ages in the press talking it down and saying stuff like he didn't think GSP wanted it. There was a negotiation tactic probs, but Dana actively seemed to be trying to discourage GSP to return.

Dana being livid about GSP vacating the MW belt would seem fair if we didn't currently reside in the Champ Champ, quick buck era.

Dana stopping GSP competing is the sort of petty stuff he's renowned for. Logic can't always be applied when he's got an issue with someone - look under the case filed "Cyborg".

• Paid Members

Yeah. I’ve got a feeling that we might see a situation where GSP retires and parts ways with the UFC, and then Dana says he was never actually a nice guy, we were all fooled, GSP was a piece of shit and a nightmare to work with etc. Similar to when Randy Couture retired and Dana started going on like he was Hitler with cauliflower ears. Dana’s a twat. 

GSP fighting at 185lbs is a bit of a red herring. His experimental trip to that division left him sick and vomiting on a daily basis. He wanted to enter the cage at 200lbs. Yet, he entered the cage on the night of the fight at 190lbs. The exact same weight he entered his fights at Welterweight at. He's simply not a natural MMA Middleweight. He was actually a small Welterweight by the end of his career and was considering switching to lightweight. 

I think a catchweight of around 162.5 lbs would be fairest for all involved. 

• Paid Members

I’m actually glad he’s retired. As much as it would’ve been cool to see him and Khabib lock horns, and it would’ve been amazing to see him ragdoll Conor McGregor in Canada or something, you’ve got to draw the line somewhere. I love that someone as nice as Georges is getting out on his terms, relatively unscathed. 

Best ever? Probably. He’s definitely the best welterweight ever. Tyron Woodley is great but he’s got some work to do to catch up to GSP’s body of work. It’s also cool that he’s leaving the sport being able to say he never lost his titles and he beat every man he ever faced. Not that he’ll brag about it but he’s got that Lennox Lewis thing of having soundly and convincingly avenged his only defeats. With hindsight, I’m so glad he came back and beat Bisping at MSG. I love Bisping but what a great way for GSP to go out. If that hadn’t happened then our last memory of him in the cage would be him barely scraping by Johny Hendricks and sounding burnt out and tired of the sport in the post-fight interview. Instead he came back refreshed and happy, went up to 185 and choked Bisping out and won a second title. That’s a farewell more befitting of someone like GSP. 

Maybe he disappears and starts a family or chases aliens or something now. But I’d like to see him still pop up on MMA’s doorstep from time to time. 

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiin one! Let’s see what you could’ve watched. With this GSP vs Khabib promo...

Edited by wandshogun09