ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Truth is, he can't really do much more for his legacy. Another big fight would have been well cool, but there comes a point where you'll come unstuck.

You look at the way things have unfolded for people like BJ and Silva in the last 5 years, you appreciate just how well GSP has timed all this.

He's probably my favourite fighter ever. Folk seem to downplay his greatness because he didn't finish enough fighters, but that's always seemed silly to me when you look at the quality he faced and the manner with which he usually dominated. He's the Garry Kasparov of MMA; a grandmaster with seemingly always the correct game plan to nullify his opponent and take command.

Thankfully also made a load of money during his career too. Lennox Lewis would be proud.

Also, GSP confirmed that Khabib and his team agreed to fight but the UFC were not remotely arsed about booking it, despite several tries. Dana clearly has an issue with him, which makes you love GSP that little bit more.

Edited by ColinBollocks

In my eyes, he's the best to ever do it.

I only got into MMA/UFC mid-2015, so his performance against Hendricks was years back at my jumping in point, but after trawling through Fight Pass to catch up on this guy, who was seemingly touted as one of the all-time greats, I was taken aback at just how good he was. Not just in one faucet, but he was incredible everywhere. His wrestling, striking and ground game was nigh-on impeccable, and he was consistently beating fantastic fighters, convincingly. The complete definition of a guy you'd want as the figurehead of your MMA promotion. I couldn't be happier that he's played the game and won it.

• Paid Members

i havent really been bothered by the announcement, GSP's been away from the game for so long that ive considered him retired for a long time. The Bisping thing always felt like a one off to me.

Still, its made headlines and theres no doubt that he's one of, if not the GOAT in MMA.

• 7 months later...
  • Paid Members

Obviously don’t read too much into it but GSP’s looking lean. Look who’s popped up in the comment section as well; 

2E3C405E-2044-4B09-B420-D7B3467671EC.jpeg

Like I say, probably nothing to it. GSP is the type of nutter who’d do a 75 hour water fast just for a laugh anyway. Doesn’t mean he’s test cutting to 155. But you know, it could be that as well. I notice Dana has changed his tune big time on the Khabib vs GSP thing recently. He was always disinterested before, which is why GSP decided to retire when he did. But he was asked about it last week and said it’s “a fight that could happen”. 

I don’t know. I think GSP did it right. He’s pretty much the only fighter in MMA who played the game and won in every way. I don’t really want him to fight again. But I can’t deny that if he did, the challenge of a Khabib fight at 155 is mega interesting. If it happens I have a bad feeling it might be a challenge too far but if anyone could pull it off it’s Georgy. I don’t want to see it at the expense of Khabib vs Ferguson though. 

Edited by wandshogun09

I'm sure the UFC would love to book him against Khabib. I'm even sure that the UFC would jump at the opportunity to book him against McGregor.

Nevertheless, fighting those two isn't something that GSP needs to be doing at this stage of his life. He solidified his legacy as one of the greatest, if not the greatest, over a decade ago. The win over Bisping was nice, and did give his career the proper ending, but he could have even done without that to be honest.

• Paid Members

I saw that yesterday too and couldn't believe how lean he looks, considering he got so big last time he was shitting out his belly button. It wouldn't surprise me if he's being clever and seeing how his body feels at the lighter weight before getting into anything (particularly after what happened last time).

He has three massive fights at LW with Khabib, Conor and Nate, should he choose to fight any of them. That's where the money is, at the minute. GSP was honest during the Bisping build that he likes to live a certain lifestyle and big fight money is hard to knock back.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Firas Zahabi on Rogan’s podcast talking about GSP and whether he’ll fight again;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HGqxbdLD4M0

Why have YouTube videos stopped embedding? 

Anyway, I love this clip. Especially the alien bit. I actually kind of hope GSP isn’t tempted back just because I feel like he’s the only big MMA name who truly nailed it and beat the game. I can’t lie though, I’d be well swept up in seeing him and Khabib collide. And even better would be seeing him school McGregor. Those are the only two fights I think could tempt Georges back at this point. Khabib for the challenge and McGregor for the payday. 

In other GSP news that I think came out while the UKFF was down, apparently he got married in Rwanda recently. 

7A2E9DF8-C1D3-458D-85C2-E20DFF3F7D1D.jpeg

• 5 months later...
  • Paid Members

Don’t think anyone mentioned it in the 249 thread but it belongs here anyway. GSP is going into the Hall Of Fame.

The video they played when it was announced on Saturday night gave me chills...

Well deserved. 

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Don’t think anyone mentioned it in the 249 thread but it belongs here anyway. GSP is going into the Hall Of Fame.

The video they played when it was announced on Saturday night gave me chills...

Well deserved. 

A firmly believe he is the greatest ever.

• 3 months later...