WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

I'd say Zelda is a solid 7, yeah. Maybe nudging towards an 8, but I'd never put it anywhere near the second coming of Christ like many reviews have been doing. 

I find it's often better to ignore first day reviews, and give it a week or so to get the opinions of people who have actually had time to play the game and fully digest it. I get the feeling that far too many people rush their articles just to make sure that they can be among the first outlets to publish reviews, which often ends up with reviews based on games that have either not been fully played/explored, or they've been rushed through for the sake of getting the review done, so you don't quite get a balanced opinion. I know a lad who bought BOTW on Friday and he'd got to the end of the story by Saturday afternoon, just because he wanted to get his review out as soon as possible. There's no way he got the full experience in that amount of time, so bollocks to reading that one. The kicker is, he's writing for a printed magazine (they do still exist!) and the deadline isn't for a couple of weeks yet, so the soft sod rushed it for no reason at all...

Question about the Witcher series: how much of a jump in quality was there from TW2 to TW3?

I just recently finished the GOTY edition of TW3 and I thought it was amazing. One of the best game experiences I've ever had probably. Is TW2 anywhere near that level? Because I had a similar situation when I played Skyrim. I loved that so much that I bought Oblivion straight after, but it felt incredibly dated in comparison and I couldn't get on with it at all. Would the gameplay of TW2 feel familiar? Is there much difference? Is it worth going back to or would I have that Oblivion experience again?

• Paid Members

Well graphically the difference is probably more apparent than going from Skyrim to Oblivion as you'll be stepping down a platform generation. But in terms of gaming experience, I'd also like to hear the thoughts of those that have played both. Loved Witcher 3, would like to try Witcher 2 but I also played Oblivion after Skyrim and didn't enjoy it much.

• Paid Members

Has anyone played Orwell? Just saw it on Steam and it looks like fun but don't want to drop a fiver on something if it only LOOKS like fun.

Also, I don't think I'll ever get to grips with Kerbel Space Program.

• Paid Members

I feel the same way about Project Cars. I know games like Forza and Gran Turismo claim to be driving simulators, but they're like Outrun compared to Project Cars. It  takes everything to an entirely different level. 

Is the Switch worth a purchase or is basically a tarted up Wii U? Looking at possibly picking one up later in the year.

Does it have games you want to play?

If yes, then it's worth a purchase.

If no, then what would be the point?

Same applies to any console.

For me personally, I like what I'm hearing about Zelda but it won't be a must-have until Super Mario Odyssey at Christmas, so that's the earliest I'll be buying one.

• Paid Members

Is the Switch worth a purchase or is basically a tarted up Wii U? Looking at possibly picking one up later in the year.

I'm telling you as a massive unashamed Nintendo fanboy that the Switch is worth a purchase, just not yet.

As a console it works exactly how it's intended to and I've very infrequently had some of the wireless connectivity issues others have reported. It looks great on a 48" HD TV and it looks great playing handheld. The issue currently is there's fuck all games for it outside of a handful that you have to decide whether or not are worth buying a console for.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild is a fantastic game that if you like open world adventure games you will get well over a hundred hours out of if you want to find everything there is to find, and roughly 40-50 if you want to just do the basics. It's actually a fully realised open world too, you can climb almost any surface and sail off to anywhere you see. Every part of the absolutely huge map is reachable and most have things to do there. As I said earlier though, it doesn't feel like a true Zelda game, more a "best of" for newcomers, so while it's not that interesting to me, is great for people new to the franchise. This is the game I bought the console for (even though I have a Wii U) and while I don't regret it, I'm left with very little outside of it.

Snipperclips: Cut It Out, Together! is a mixed bag. It's a puzzle game where you play as sorta dome-shaped paper people and are presented with a bunch of puzzles where you have to cut each other into shapes to try and do things like fill stencil outlines to make an object, scoop liquid into things, turn cogs and gears to move items through a stage, etc.

There's 3 modes included in the game: a 1-2 player mode where you get I think about 50 levels, maybe less to do these puzzles. A 1-4 player mode of the same thing but the puzzles are different and made for more people. You can control all 4 with only 2 players though I haven't bothered to try this. And then another 1-4 player sorta versus mode where you get 3 games; Air Hockey Basketball and Duel. The first two are self explanatory, but duel you basically have to attack each other cutting out chunks until one player is left.

The game overall is at best creative and fun, and at worst frustrating and annoying. The last level of the game we couldn't figure out how to do, so we looked online after an hour of trying and every Youtube video we found was people saying they don't know either and had to be really cheap about it. It's £17 but unless you have 4 players ready to go, it's not worth that for the 2 player experience.

I'm on the edge about getting Fast RMX this morning, which is basically F-Zero. Apparently it's rammed with content and runs great in single and multiplayer, but there's some poor track design here and there. I'll edit this post if I get it and let you know how it is.

Shovel Knight is on there. I have it on PS4 and can't recommend it enough if you enjoy old NES platformers like Duck Tales or Mega Man. I haven't played the Switch version but heard it's the definitive version in terms of content and ways to play.

Outside of those it's hard for me to recommend anything. I'll be getting Puyo Pop Tetris when that's out this month, and then it's nothing until Mario Kart (which is a Wii U re-release) and Mario Odyssey in November. Check out the release schedule to see if anything upcoming tickles your fancy, but for now you can count the worthwhile games on one hand, and a few are already out on other consoles.

Even if you only wanted to play Zelda, if you haven't owned a Wii U I'd recommend getting one of those instead because a lot of the massive first party games on that are £20 or less now and it'll tide you right over for a year or two until the Switch has games on it.

• Paid Members

Does it have games you want to play?

If yes, then it's worth a purchase.

If no, then what would be the point?

Same applies to any console.

For me personally, I like what I'm hearing about Zelda but it won't be a must-have until Super Mario Odyssey at Christmas, so that's the earliest I'll be buying one.

Its more the fact that i didnt know if the Switch is basically the Wii U with the added hardware features that the adverts are focussed on. I know certain Wii U games are being re-released onto the Switch, but i didn't know whether or not the actual games console upgraded.

I put Zelda to one side over the weekend in favour of Nier Automata. As much as I liked Zelda, I found I've been enjoying Nier much more than BOTW. Nier's world is much smaller, but there's more action, the story is more appealing, there's much more direction to it, and the fucking weapons don't break every few bastard seconds...

Nier Automata is a wonderful game imo. Just about to start my third play through.

I bloody love Yoko Taro

Apparently after play through three a secret store opens up that allows you to purchase the games trophies with in game currency.

I love it.

• Paid Members

Didn't I see Breath of the Wild on Wii U? On Amazon. If so, since that appears to be the only game worth playing on the Switch right now, it'd make more sense to grab the Wii U version for now.

Yeah, it was made for the Wii U I think, therefore the Switch version is a port. Bit like Twilight Princess for the GameCube and Wii. I think I'm right in saying this.