WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

How's everyone getting on with Breath of The Wild? I got past the opening few shrines on Saturday then got a bit disorientated and left it alone for a while, and went to it this evening. Started at about 8.30 and somehow it's now gone 1am! What a superb few hours it's been though. Reached Zora'a Domain, fought a mini boss, mastered the flurry attacks, and encountered my first Divine Beast. After a fairly slow start it feels like things are picking up nicely, weapons are getting a bit stronger and it feels like I've got quests to actually do, rather than just climbing towers and looking for shrines.

The only thing that frustrates me about it right now is there's no way I'll get to the end of this before Nier comes out later this week...

Got nowhere. Played it on Friday and didn't play it again until Monday morning on the train. Played a bit again this morning. I'm useless at RPGs but enjoying it. Only got 3 shrines so far. The misses is out on Wednesday so will work on it then.

To be honest I am playing Fast RMX the most, I absolutely love it and don't mind it being a download game as I see it as a game I will carry on playing for quite a while.

People at work think it is too big. However I see people on the train with 10" tablets so it really isn't that big. If the screen was too small people would moan.

I feel like a mug for pimping this deal, as it never actually materialised:

When the Switch was announced, a website called GameSeek was very briefly taking pre-orders for the grey version at £198.50, which is about £80 below the RRP.

Now they're saying they'll be taking pre-orders for the red and blue version at the same price, but haven't specified when. If you're interested, you can set up a stock alert to try and get in before they're sold out again.

I've bought from them before and found them reliable enough, but they do have some daft practices, like constant "sales" that amount to 50p off most products, or advertising a massive saving on upcoming hardware and then not beefing up the server for an influx of traffic...

Personally, I know I'll be needing one eventually for Mario Odyssey, and can't see them being quite as cheap as this by Christmas, so I'll probably have a crack at this deal even though the launch line-up doesn't excite me.

If anyone's interested, here's the email exchange I've had with them in the last few days:

Good evening. So the Switch launch has been and gone. Is there any sign of this advertised deal happening? [link to webpage] I signed up for a stock alert and haven't received an email. It's still being advertised on the site, despite the term pre-order no longer being applicable. In your latest newsletter you're patting yourselves on the back about the original deal on the grey model, so I assume you intend to follow through on this second chance that's been promised? Thank you.

Good Afternoon,

The Nintendo switch is not available for order just yet, we are getting the stock back in but unfortunately, we have no timescale.

Thank you. Will you be proceeding with the £198.50 deal when you have the stock?

Good afternoon

This will be going back to the normal retail price

So why are you still promoting this link on the front page of your website?

[link to webpage]

Is that not misleading?

Good afternoon

We will look into this for yourself

Edited by Uncle Zeb

• Paid Members

I have to say after playing Breath of The Wild for so long (probably upwards of 40 hours at this point) I'm not 100% as sold on it now as I was when I first picked it up. In it's own right it's an amazing game, and if someone asked me if I recommend it I would. But if someone asked me which Zelda game to play, I'd name a dozen others before this one.
It feels like everything that's usually at the core of a Zelda game (challenging dungeons, big characters, catchy music, item progression) has been sacrificed or half-arsed to fit in the game mechanics. We got to a pretty big point in the game last night that nearly every Zelda has in it, and it was a big wet fart because they can't do it properly or it'd break the game

(getting the Master Sword. You're outright told don't use it all the time or it'll just stop working)

A brilliant game, and worthy of the 10/10s (though I'd give it a 9 because there are things that could be much better) but not a Zelda game. It feels like if Nintendo sold the rights to someone else and they just tried to get their shit in.

• Paid Members

It feels like everything that's usually at the core of a Zelda game (challenging dungeons, big characters, catchy music, item progression) has been sacrificed or half-arsed to fit in the game mechanics.

This is exactly how I felt about Skyward Sword. Very impressive gaming experience, what with the 1:1 swordplay, but it felt like half a Zelda game at best. Lacked the depth that Zelda games from 15-20 years before had, which is pretty inexcusable really.

At the time, the reviewers were gushing and the original ratings were higher than any other Zelda game. Definitely seemed to be a case of over-the-top fanboy ratings because overall the game far from lived up to the hype. Twilight Princess pissed all over it.

• Paid Members

It feels like everything that's usually at the core of a Zelda game (challenging dungeons, big characters, catchy music, item progression) has been sacrificed or half-arsed to fit in the game mechanics.

This is exactly how I felt about Skyward Sword. Very impressive gaming experience, what with the 1:1 swordplay, but it felt like half a Zelda game at best. Lacked the depth that Zelda games from 15-20 years before had, which is pretty inexcusable really.

At the time, the reviewers were gushing and the original ratings were higher than any other Zelda game. Definitely seemed to be a case of over-the-top fanboy ratings because overall the game far from lived up to the hype. Twilight Princess pissed all over it.

Yeah Skyward Sword was getting 10s all over the place but people have soured on it over time. I played it recently and it holds up as a game but like you said lacks a lot that makes a great Zelda.

I feel this will head the same way in that it won't hold up over time, like how other open world games like Mad Max, Shadow of Mordor, Just Cause etc are fun once but you'd never want to go back that often.

Anyone picked up Ghost Recon: Wildlands yet? Been playing it on XB1 and gotta say it's a brilliant game. Some people are miffed at lack of PVP atm but going through the campaign either alone or co-op with a few people is great fun. After GR: Future Soldier turned out to be a bit of a flop campaign wise, it's good to see Ubisoft hit this one out of the park.

Anyone picked up Ghost Recon: Wildlands yet? Been playing it on XB1 and gotta say it's a brilliant game. Some people are miffed at lack of PVP atm but going through the campaign either alone or co-op with a few people is great fun. After GR: Future Soldier turned out to be a bit of a flop campaign wise, it's good to see Ubisoft hit this one out of the park.

Picked it up on release day and haven't put it down yet! Incredibly beautiful game, huge open world and a massive massive challenge.

Early contender for the game of the year!

I put Zelda to one side over the weekend in favour of Nier Automata. As much as I liked Zelda, I found I've been enjoying Nier much more than BOTW. Nier's world is much smaller, but there's more action, the story is more appealing, there's much more direction to it, and the fucking weapons don't break every few bastard seconds...

• Paid Members

I hear good things about Lego Worlds. It;s only £20 as well. I may have to check it out, but have ordered myself to finish at least one of the many games I've started before I pick up a new one.

I put Zelda to one side over the weekend in favour of Nier Automata. As much as I liked Zelda, I found I've been enjoying Nier much more than BOTW. Nier's world is much smaller, but there's more action, the story is more appealing, there's much more direction to it, and the fucking weapons don't break every few bastard seconds...

So Zelda's a 7/10?

I'm really torn on what to buy after I finally finish Yakuza 0, I still haven't bought games from the end of last year like FF15 and Dishonored 2 but Nier is calling so badly.