UFC 194: Aldo vs McGregor

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bit of an off-topic question; I'm in Sheffield the day of the fight for the NXT show, just wondering if anyone knows a good bar in the city centre that will be showing 194?

I think the Common Room will be in the centre of town, i'll find out and post back

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit of an off-topic question; I'm in Sheffield the day of the fight for the NXT show, just wondering if anyone knows a good bar in the city centre that will be showing 194?

I think the Common Room will be in the centre of town, i'll find out and post back

I think the Common Room will be in the centre of town, they rend to show WWE PPVs and other stuff.

i'll find out and post back

• Paid Members

Been trying to get my head around some bets on this but its so down the middle on Romero/Souza and Aldo/Mcgregor?

Can someone explain why Mcgregor is favourite? Aldos undefeated for a long time, proved himself countless times against the hype machine Mcgregor whos biggest fight was against Mendes with a 2/3 week camp?

Im not that clued up on all of this so its an outsiders view so any explanation/opinions would help!

I don't know why McGregor is favourite (I agree with the assessment of Aldo there), but the bolded part is exactly the sort of stuff that herbie and wand were talking about here - you may not have intended it, but it's rather unfairly talking McGregor down. After Aldo, Mendes was the best featherweight in the world at that point in time, regardless of how long his camp, and let's face it - McGregor may have had a longer camp, but he was training to fight Aldo, a completely different fighter. Not to mention that Mendes, whom McGregor was having to fight with 2/3 weeks' notice, is exactly the type of fighter that so many were complaining McGregor hadn't fought yet, and would be found out against. McGregor's biggest fight was against Mendes, true - but a match against Mendes at that time would've been the biggest career fight ever for anyone not named Jose Aldo; the only place for McGregor to go after Mendes is Aldo.

Also, McGregor hasn't been fighting scrubs; everyone he's fought on the road to Aldo has been a serious threat to de-railing his run at the championship.

• Paid Members

McGregor has has made short work of several very good fighters, his confidence is off the charts and there's just that feeling that he's really that good. I think he's beating Aldo within 1-2 rounds, initially i might not have believed that but now i'm leaning that way.

• Paid Members

I actually feel over confidence on McGregors part will lead to his downfall and I see Aldo fighting smart keeping his distance using his leg kicks and then going for take downs in rounds 3-5 to earn a decision. I'm thinking Diaz/Condit style with McGregor getting frustrated and us fans losing our shit!

I don't personally see it as over confidence, more a huge self belief in his own abilities. Other fighters really should take note to be honest. Defeat never enters his mind, and why should it? He visualizes what he wants to do, and executes it. It's all part of his approach to fighting. I can tell you one thing, he won't be under-estimating Aldo.

In regards to your prediction, the problem with your theory (and who knows, it may happen somehow?), Mcgregor has a huge reach advantage over Aldo both in terms of kicks and punches. He may rely on the speed of his kicks, but it could play into Mcgegor's hands if he tries to keep the distance. 

• Paid Members

Cheers! Their website says they close at half 1 but I've sent them a message about it just in case.

Anyone see the interview with one of Aldo's primary training partners where it's suggested he'll be retiring soon?

Jose Aldo finally faces Conor McGregor in a title unification bout this weekend, but it looks like there could be a lot more at stake. In a bit of surprising news, one of Aldo's primary training partners in Andy Souwer revealed that UFC 194's mammoth main event could very well be the final bout for the long time featherweight champion.

Here's how the conversation went as the former K-1 Max champion spoke to MMAPlusTV.

Interviewer: Regardless of win or lose, do you think this is the last time we see Jose Aldo in the Octagon?

Andy Souwer: To be honest, yeah I think. Yeah, I think so.

Interviewer: If he wins, step away on top?

[souwer nods]

Interviewer: I think if we look at everything that happened with Dana and the UFC... [souwer nods] and the way they spoke about Aldo. He seemed like a man scorned and a man hurt because he put his life for that organization.

Andy Souwer: Yes. That's true. So I think he's done with it. And ready. I will agree. Whatever he is thinking, it's his decision. But I think it will be good for him.

... Of course (he's going to win). Jose is (the top) pound-for-pound fighter. He will succeed this time also, and it will be a fairytale story. I'll put my money on it.

Souwer also spoke candidly about how in past fights, Aldo would slow down in training after sparring for 2 rounds, and said it showed on some of his bouts. For this camp though, he says Aldo is much different, and goes six, six-minute rounds without any issues.

Aldo is currently just 29-years-old, and is conceivably still in the prime of his career. He has already been fighting for over a decade though, and has had 26 bouts in a hall-of-fame career. With number 27 being by far the biggest and most high profile title bout for Aldo, it will be interesting to see if he really decides to hang it up, with lucrative bouts (or rematches) that could open up after.

• Paid Members

I thought Dana was a bell-end to Helwani, who I thought asked some of the best questions of everyone. If nothing else, he was the first person to act like Luke Rockhold even existed and his questions towards Conor clearly loosened him up a bit and added a bit of fun to what was otherwise a pretty average, run of the mill press conference.

But yeah, Conor and Aldo facing off is enough to give me chills. It's actually happening!

Fucking hell though, can you imagine if Conor manages to somehow do everything he says he'll do? I can't even imagine a world where he achieves it and leaves Aldo lying like everyone else.

I could write a long post on why I want McGregor to win. But I think this image sums it up perfectly.

I plan to go bed after Joshua vs Whyte, and set my alarm for 3am. I kinda wish the undercard was garbage, so I didn't feel the need to watch it. That way, I could have an extra few hours kip. Going to get a brew and some All-Bran on the go!

qUDIQwQ.gif?noredirect

• Paid Members

That's weird. I stumbled across that very gif the other day and was going to post it in here just for the sake of it.

I can't believe this is actually happening. Fuck, I can't wait for the weigh ins let alone the fights! And I haven't even watched any of the build up stuff yet either. Still got Embedded (the long one and the short ones) and the press conference to watch. I finish work early tomorrow so I'm going to get back and try and watch everything then - Embedded, press conference, Helwani interviews, rewatch UFC 189 - in time to catch the weigh in live. Usually I just catch the weigh in whenever but this is one I have to see live.

Outside something mental happening at the weigh in, this IS actually finally fucking happening! The weigh in is the final hurdle. As long as everyone makes weight and they don't end up fucking brawling on the stage or something goofy, it's happening.

I enjoyed Embedded (long version)

A few people have said it didn't offer anything new. That's true to an extent, but I thought it provided a nice overview of the rivalry. In particular, the last 9 months. So much happens in MMA these days, that it's easy to forget what happened 6 weeks ago, let alone 6 months ago.

I am more hyped now than I was before I saw it. So it did its job as far as I am concerned. 

• Paid Members

I could write a long post on why I want McGregor to win. But I think this image sums it up perfectly.

I plan to go bed after Joshua vs Whyte, and set my alarm for 3am. I kinda wish the undercard was garbage, so I didn't feel the need to watch it. That way, I could have an extra few hours kip. Going to get a brew and some All-Bran on the go!

I know I've asked this a load of times before, but what time do we think the co-main event will start?

I know I've asked this a load of times before, but what time do we think the co-main event will start?

If you wake up at 4am. You should be safe.

That may seem early, but as they have 2 Championship fights, they will try and move the card along quickly. 

Archived