UFC 194: Aldo vs McGregor

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Anyone who has added Aldo v McGregor to Sky already check your box again as they've extended it to another hour now so the original recording won't be there as that was originally scheduled from 3am-6am and now it's 3am-7am. I'd also add ten minutes to the end or Sky+ the next show after UFC 194 as they cut the end of the Rousey/Holm post fight discussion last time as that event ran over. 

For the UFC embedded have they aired on BT yet?, BT have 2 episodes airing at the weekend but on the UFC website there's 4. 

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

just had a little look at the fight schedule this weekend, the Conor/Aldo fight is rightfully taking up the majority of the press but there's some ridiculous good fight buried on the undercards of these 3 shows, it's fucking crazy. 

For the UFC embedded have they aired on BT yet?, BT have 2 episodes airing at the weekend but on the UFC website there's 4.

I think you're getting a little confused, there's one long episode (which is called Embedded but more like a countdown show) that is airing on BT. The 4 episodes on the UFC website/YouTube is the actual fight-week embedded coverage one per day with each 6/7 minute episode from the day before.

• Paid Members

I think you're getting a little confused, there's one long episode (which is called Embedded but more like a countdown show) that is airing on BT. The 4 episodes on the UFC website/YouTube is the actual fight-week embedded coverage one per day with each 6/7 minute episode from the day before.

Which is the reason why I mentioned earlier in the thread they should have just called it Primetime.

Am I the only one wanting carnage at the weigh ins just to give this one final boost before we eventually get the fight? Just enough that the fight still goes on ya'know?

Yep, I would like to see that. I thought the press conference staredown was bizarrely respectful. Conor attempting mind games with Aldo perhaps?

• Paid Members

Am I the only one wanting carnage at the weigh ins just to give this one final boost before we eventually get the fight? Just enough that the fight still goes on ya'know?

McGregor's weigh in's are intense regardless, i don't think we'll see any shit go down but i expect it to be a memorable staredown. I loved the subtle little bow McGregor gave Aldo at the presser staredown.

• Paid Members

Fuck, currently dead even at 21-21 for Aldo vs McGregor in the poll.

It's one more reason why this fight is so great. Not only are their mix of styles so perfect for each other, not only are their personalities so opposite and their chemistry as rivals so much fun to watch - the actual fight is mind bendingly difficult to predict. People can say 'McGregor by early KO' or 'Aldo via death by leg kicks' all they want but I don't care what they say, deep down I really doubt anyone is that confident in picking a winner in this one. If you think Aldo's going to win you have to be worrying about McGregor's power and accuracy. And if you think McGregor's going to win you have to wonder about Aldo's speed, leg kicks and experience at the very top of the game. I honestly believe they're both the biggest threat to each other and I'm flip-flopping constantly on who I think will win. I mean, style-wise I still believe Frankie Edgar might be the trickiest puzzle for McGregor to solve at 145 down the line but in terms of being a physical danger to each other and possessing the capability to really cause each other damage - Aldo and McGregor, on paper, are each others' kryptonite in the striking.

And I have to keep reminding myself we're getting Weidman vs Rockhold, Jacare vs Romero, Maia vs Nelson AND Holloway vs Stephens the same night! Weidman-Rockhold could easily headline a PPV on its own, the other three fights could easily main event a Fight Night and people would be more than happy. That's how great this card is. Five headline worthy fights on one card.

Roll on Saturday. For fuck's sake man, roll on you bastard. The wait is torture now.

• Paid Members

Here's a quick highlight of some of the media scrums. Check out Yoel Romero crying near the end when talking about his family...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=Rmry6Mo-lU0

Even Romero's cry is scary. The look on his face when he composes himself is kind of terrifying.

Xo9Fs.jpg

If it was pretty much any other middleweight he was about to fight I'd be fearing for their wellbeing but Jacare is just as beast-like as Romero. Fucking hell, what's going to happen here?

I am going with my heart and picking McGregor. From a rational perspective, I am going to wait and see how their styles gel. I honestly don't know what to expect, as neither have really fought a fighter quite like the other. Aldo is more established and proven, but there are signs that McGregor's style reflects a new breed of MMA striking. A level up from the previous generation. A McGregor win would possibly be the best moment in recent MMA history  (the drama of Sonnen vs Silva 1, and Lesnar's tour-de-force at UFC 100 are the current standard bearers in my book)

I have read a lot of people pick Rockhold. Including the Sherdog preview. I can see the argument, but I am going with Weidman. For all the buzz about how Rockhold went through Machida, it shouldn't be forgotten than Machida couldn't get much going against Weidman in the early stages of their fight. It was only late on when Machida started having success. Also, Weidman looked a beast on the mat against Belfort. I don't like any middleweight's chances on the mat against Weidman. I think Rockhold will have his moments in the striking exchanges, but eventually, Weidman will overwhelm Rockhold on the mat, and finish him in the middle rounds. 

I have decided to adjust my pick for Jacare vs Romero. I had picked Jacare, as I consider him to be the more polished fighter. If Jacare can find distance and establish his rhythm, he should win on points. However, I can't shake the feeling that this is a bad match-up for Jacare. I see Romero imposing his will, and possibly taking out Jacare at some stage.

I have always rated Holloway. I think he wins on points in a competitive and entertaining fight. I hope Nelson wins. I think he has a lot less mileage on the clock than Maia, and could be catching him at the right time. However, on paper, I think Maia wins on points. 

• Paid Members

One major thing I've picked up from the open work outs is that Mcgregor is looking a hell of a lot better than he did a similar time frame from the Mendes fight. He looked shocking then. 

Edit:-

Interestingly nearly every single pro is picking Aldo for the win. Crazy that Mcgregor is a betting favourite. 

I voted Aldo on points in the poll but McGregor looks sensational shape heading into this compared to how he looked for the Mendes fight. I was also very impressed with his demeanor throughout the press conference. He looks to be totally focused and at a level of calm and zen you only ever really see from him after he's won the fight. It's almost as if the shit talking prizefighter has done half the job getting here, now the martial artist takes over. I can't pick a winner but McGregor looks ready.

Archived