UFC 194: Aldo vs McGregor

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Firstly, apologies for the length (Kenneth Williams pics welcome).

Anyway, December 12th, it's Red Panty Night...

37KF.jpg

PPV MAIN CARD

Jose Aldo vs Conor McGregor - Featherweight Title

Chris Weidman vs Luke Rockhold - Middleweight Title

Jacare Souza vs Yoel Romero

Demian Maia vs Gunnar Nelson

Max Holloway vs Jeremy Stephens

FOX SPORTS 1 PRELIMS

Urijah Faber vs Frankie Saenz

Tecia Torres vs Jocelyn Jones-Lybarger

Colby Covington vs Warlley Alves

Leonardo Santos vs Kevin Lee

FIGHT PASS PRELIMS

Joe Proctor vs Magomed Mustafaev

John Makdessi vs Yancy Medeiros

Court McGee vs Marcio Alexandre Jr

Crazily loaded card, this one.

MJL2.jpg

Aldo vs McGregor then. Let's try this again, shall we? I'm almost scared to even get excited about this now incase I jinx it, but let's try to be positive.

I covered how this whole Aldo vs McGregor thing started in the opening post of the UFC 189 thread, so if you want to refresh your memory or you somehow missed the genesis of this whole thing then you might want to read the OP there;

https://ukff.com/topic/136331-ufc-189-mcgregor-vs-mendes/

It was an absolutely phenomenal build-up. The best the UFC have ever done, in my opinion.

G2HMP.jpg

This picture probably sums up the 189 build-up more than any other to me. McGregor on the wind up, Aldo furious and Dana in the middle, grinning like the Cheshire Cat, living the promoter's dream.

Every TV appearance, every interview, that huge world media tour they did - all fucking gold!

Then it all went horribly wrong. Aldo injured his ribs and had to pull out of the fight. McGregor then was in a position where he was instead fighting Chad Mendes on a couple of weeks notice. He also injured his knee.

Yet somehow, from that pile of shit, we got what I think is the greatest PPV they've ever done.

iJXUV.jpg

7npfr.jpg

g0MZz.jpg

TuCil.jpg

Just mental scenes and an amazing end to such a show.

Obviously, the talk following that win immediately switched back to Aldo vs McGregor. But now it's even bigger than it would've been at 189 and it's a title unification match.

785W3.jpg

“Be sure that I’ll put my hands on him like I’ve never put my hands on any other opponent. I can just see the win ahead of me, and I’m going after it. I’m not going to lose focus. Of course, I’m going to leave him seriously injured and bring my belt back.” - Jose Aldo

Aldo's the best featherweight MMA has ever known. Unbeaten in a decade. His list of victims reads like a who's who of the lighter weight classes. He's a beast. A Muay Thai wrecking ball with a world class BJJ game, stupid speed and excellent takedown defence. The only threat to his title that's left for him at 145 really is McGregor. Which is another reason this fight is so compelling.

Chael 'Bullshitman' Sonnen has piped up this week saying that "his sources" are saying Aldo isn't going to fight at 194. Dana's come out and said that's bollocks. Who do you believe? A troll or a fight promoter? Knowing how full of shit and desperate for attention Chael has been lately, I'm leaning towards (and fucking hoping) Dana being right.

e1LVb.jpg

"I'm not a million per cent he'll show up. If he shows up, he'll be too emotional and, even if I half feint, he'll overreact and drain all his energy.

He'll overload on a shot, I'll slip and big him with a left hand and put him away." - Conor McGregor

It's a crazy fight. Like I said before, this is THE fight of 2015 for me. By far. It's been the story of 2015. It started with that face-off after the Siver fight in January, through the summer and the whole 189 thing, now here we are. Vince McMahon at his pomp in the 80s couldn't have scripted a year-long storyline any better. And I still say they should've booked a stadium. Rio, Dublin, anywhere. It's a fight that's outgrown the MGM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=-dTcc27QZGk

Is there a goosebump emoticon? I seriously can't wait for this. It's going to be a long three weeks.

t9Goz.jpg

Oh and the rest of the card is fantastic as well.

64y7q.jpg

Weidman vs Rockhold is one of the most intriguing fights of the year when you look at both their styles. It's two great fighters at the top of their games, meeting at pretty much the perfect time. This could easily have main evented a PPV on its own. It's only for the fact that Aldo vs McGregor is such a monster that this fight is in the co-main spot.

Rockhold is on a serious streak at the moment. Even in a stacked division, he stands out as the top deserving contender. And his pummelling of Lyoto Machida in April cemented that...

pbWv.jpg

"People wanna say this is a close fight. I don’t see it as that though. I think Chris is gonna be tough for a round, maybe two. I’m gonna run away with this fight and I’m gonna take the belt home. Another belt coming back to AKA. Chris is just too slow, he’s too slow, he’s too slow. That’s all I gotta say. He’s slow, slow, and he’s slow."

"I think he’s slow and he’s gotten by on his toughness and his wrestling. I’m gonna be faster, I’m gonna hit him harder, and I’m gonna challenge him in ways he hasn’t been challenged before. I’m not scared of Weidman. He’s fighting all these guys that are scared of his wrestling and letting him dictate the pace of the fight. I dictate the pace of my fights and no one else"

"I’m going to shut Chris Weidman down in the first round. I’m gonna expose him in the second round. And I’m gonna finish him with a left kick, followed by a left punch, simultaneously." - Luke Rockhold

Confidence or arrogance? I guess we'll see in a few weeks.

After a shaky start, Weidman utterly smashed Vitor Belfort in his last fight in May;

brptJ.jpg

Undefeated at 13-0. The man who ended Anderson Silva's reign of dominance. Weidman is a stud, there's no denying it.

He's been unimpressed with Rockhold's comments so far;

"I definitely have a lot of respect for him. He brings a lot to the table. I'll be prepared for him. So for me, I don't need to talk too much trash. I just know what I'm going to do. I really believe I'm going to rock him and completely dominate him and it's going to be fun to see the shock on his face. If he really believes the stuff he says, it's going to be fun to see the look of surprise on his face." - Chris Weidman

8AaWP.jpg

It's not really a grudge. No real bad blood there, I don't think. But it's that alpha male thing where both guys see themselves as the King Of 185. This will decide it. For now. Until we go through it all again with the Jacare vs Romero winner.

You really can't go wrong with this fight. It's actually quite rare that a title fight in combat sports features two guys right at their peak. I think this is one of them. Both are aggressive, both technical and both dangerous wherever the fight goes. I'm actually about 50/50 on this fight.

rzYq7.jpg

Jacare vs Romero. Third from motherfucking top! Yeah, I love this card. This, for me, might just be my most anticipated and the most interesting non-title fight this year. It's so fascinating to me how these two are going to match up. You've got a BJJ world champion in Jacare vs an Olympic silver medalist wrestler in Romero. And as well as their stellar grappling credentials, both can knock your dick loose with their striking as well. These are probably the two names middleweights dread hearing when the Joe Silva call comes.

IAwcq.jpg

I've always been a Jacare fan but Yoel Romero has quickly become one of my favourite fighters on the roster. He's probably not considered a star but to me he oozes star power. Even in his late 30s. He's got the skills, he's got an impressive look and he's got that unpredictably in the cage and in interviews that makes me just want to see what the fuck he's going to do next. I've said it before but his interviews are like a cross between Don Corleone and the Iron Sheik. He's off his tits.

I don't have a clue who wins this one. Can't wait to see it though. Hopefully it actually happens this time. Twice it's been booked in 2015, twice it's fallen apart. Third time lucky, I hope.

YOEL ROMERO MOMENTS:

When Yoel isn't praising 'Gay Jesus' in indecipherable promos, he...

Ky2Ar.jpg

...likes to chill out poolside. Like a Cuban Tony Soprano.

dMnGY.jpg

The hits keep coming. Seriously, Maia vs Nelson is a grappling classic on paper. And again, two guys meeting at a good time form-wise. Maia looked the best he's looked in ages in his submission win over Neil Magny in August. Likewise, Gunnar rebounded in style from his loss to Rick Story, submitting Brandon Thatch at UFC 189 in July. I love this fight. Hopefully they don't just shut each other down and the whole thing becomes a stalemate. If they both go for it it should be brilliant.

YOEL ROMERO MOMENTS #2:

When Yoel isn't smacking Tim Kennedy about, he...

N365E.jpg

...loves to unwind by reading a bit of Peppa Pig with the kids.

oAX4.jpg

Holloway vs Stephens rounds out the main card. Yet another awesome fight! Two featherweights on the rise, both coming in with momentum. Stephens just knocked out Dennis Bermudez with a flying knee in a cracker of a fight at UFC 189. Holloway is riding a winning streak and looking like a potential contender. I feel like I'm repeating myself but I love this matchup.

That has to be the strongest PPV main card ever. IF it all stays intact, of course. Unbelievable. There's no fat on that PPV whatsoever. Usually there's at least one fight I'm not arsed about. This one is 5/5 for awesome fights that I'm massively into.

Even the prelims aren't too shabby.

Faber vs Saenz is a bit odd really. But having Faber headline the prelims never hurts. I actually think they've stuck this fight on this card solely as an insurance policy incase Aldo pulls out. Then they have a Plan B of McGregor vs Faber to fall back on.

While McGregor vs Faber doesn't mean as much as Aldo vs McGregor, it's a good backup plan. They've put themselves in a position where they've got two options for McGregor fights, and both the first choice AND the backup have been heavily promoted. Quite a stroke of genius really.

YOEL ROMERO MOMENTS #3:

When Yoel isn't sitting on the stool too long between rounds, he...

JHU6S.jpg

...enjoys bashing out a bit of Mozart to annoy his neighbours.

Torres vs Waterson will probably be good. Well, I say that but Tecia Torres has been pretty fucking boring in the UFC so far. Her fight with Rose Namajunas in Invicta was incredible, maybe my favourite WMMA fight ever. But she's been dull as fuck since. It's weird.

bU7B.jpg

:love:

Erm, where was I?

Oh yes, Michelle Waterson is quality. And I'm not even talking about her looks now, I've got that out of the way. She's got a really fun fighting style to watch. Very technical striking, a strong submission game, tough as fuck and she's always active. Her fights with Jessica Penne and Herica Tiburcio in Invicta are must-sees if you're on Fight Pass. So yeah, hopefully she can drag Torres to something enjoyable.

The rest is decent. Not hugely interested in most of it. I remember being quite impressed with Kevin Lee if I'm thinking of the right guy. And Makdessi vs Medeiros should be lively on the prelims.

It's all about that main card though, isn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=Z18Zsm2jyo8

I've got a feeling Joe Rogan will be doing this face a lot during the PPV...

9N4PH.jpg

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Dana wasn't lying when he gleefully uttered the words "we're back" a year ago. Since then we've had DC/Jones, the rise of Rousey, 189, but nothing has come close to this barmy drama between two men that are eerily perfect as disjointed foes; factory made for nothing but a compelling climax. The only rivalry that has come close since I started watching MMA is Sonnen/Silva, but even then it's not really that close. Aldo/McGregor seems a bit more personal, visceral and, of course, entertaining. It's been well good, basically.

I've always thought Aldo wipes the floor with McGregor, but after 189 I'm not so sure anymore. Maybe I've just been charmed by the McGregor ride, but he's been kinda right so far. Maybe I should start listening to him.

From the UFC's POV, what a shitter to end the year with McGregor and co losing.

• Paid Members

Incredible write up, wand.

The greatest promoted fight of all time, on what looks like one of the most stacked cards of all time. Just thinking about this show give some goosebumps.

If Conor McGregor somehow wins this fight it'll be one of the greatest moments in human history.

• Paid Members

Great write up - I do doubt this Aldo fucker will show up though.

Won't be confident until I see them in the cage facing off with Big John or Herb in between. Not even the walk-outs will mean the fight is happening, as Aldo could slip on a banana skin & crack another rib.

• Paid Members

I wonder if they'll have live entrances again. Before he pulled out of UFC 189 the plan was for Aldo to have Rihanna sing his entrance song. That would've been amazing. If any fight is big enough for them to do them again then this is it.

Chael is becoming the new FrontRowBrian.

I'm pretty optimistic that the Main Event will actually happen. However, I am being my usual cynical self in leaning towards Aldo winning. Obviously, I want McGregor to win, but I think Aldo will be able to clip McGregor too often, and also land enough leg kicks. 

• Paid Members

Conor tore 80% of his ACL before the fight against Chad and went into the fight having not done a single round of wrestling training. He also tore ligaments in his thumb before fighting Dustin Poirier. It's going to take a lot for him to pull out of a fight. Probably because he realises how many millions of dollars he'd be losing if he pulled out of a fight. Which in turn is probably why, unlike Aldo, Conor hasn't spent his UFC career crying and whinging about how little money he makes.

Conor tore 80% of his ACL before the fight against Chad and went into the fight having not done a single round of wrestling training. He also tore ligaments in his thumb before fighting Dustin Poirier. It's going to take a lot for him to pull out of a fight. Probably because he realises how many millions of dollars he'd be losing if he pulled out of a fight. Which in turn is probably why, unlike Aldo, Conor hasn't spent his UFC career crying and whinging about how little money he makes.

Okay, well, in that case I'd crack up if he didn't pull out if he got injured, fought hurt and got absolutely smashed as a result.

• Paid Members

I hope Weidman makes short work of Rockhold, I can't warm to Rockhold at all & I'm really enojoying Weidman's run at the top. The main event is pretty much a no lose scenario for me. If Aldo wins then we get to witness the greatest P4P fighter ever cement his legacy, if McGregor wins (and Aldo doesn't retire) we get the rematch & the potential of a bunch of fresh title fights, namely Edgar & a fully prepared Mendes. Happy days.

I hope Weidman makes short work of Rockhold, I can't warm to Rockhold at all & I'm really enojoying Weidman's run at the top. The main event is pretty much a no lose scenario for me. If Aldo wins then we get to witness the greatest P4P fighter ever cement his legacy, if McGregor wins (and Aldo doesn't retire) we get the rematch & the potential of a bunch of fresh title fights, namely Edgar & a fully prepared Mendes. Happy days.

Agree with this all 100%. I think Weidman will smash Rockhold. I'm 50/50 on the main event. Jacare vs Romero should be a fucking war. Great card.

Archived