UFC 194: Aldo vs McGregor

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Jesus, it looks fucking amazing. Even though we have seen the clips a million times it never gets old to me. Can't get enough of this build-up and it hasn't even really started properly yet. Next week will be when it really goes into overdrive. Fight week will be insane. All the Embedded episodes will be coming out, we've got the press conference, Helwani interviews etc. Fuck, I'm more excited about the weigh in than I am for most actual fights.

• Paid Members

John McCarthy is only getting $1,900 for reffing Aldo vs McGregor;

On his podcast, “Let’s Get It On” McCarthy revealed that he will make just $1,900 for refereeing Aldo vs. McGregor at UFC 194.

“We don’t do this because we become rich off of it, and everyone thinks we get rich off of it. We don’t get rich off of it. It is the ability to have that opportunity and honor to be able to step into that cage and that ring with high profile championship fighters that bust their ass to get to that point and you’re busting your ass to get to that point, too. And when you make it, it’s an opportunity, you know? That’s the kind of thing that you sit there and later on in life you go, I was able to get to that.”

I've never really thought about what referees get paid before but that does sound low, doesn't it? I know they're not going to be getting paid as much as the fighters but they do an important as fuck job. Getting less than $2k (less after tax) for reffing the biggest fight of the year (maybe the biggest fight in UFC history) is shite.

Does anyone know, do refs get paid per fight they ref or per night they ref? Like if Big John refs two of the undercard fights on this show as well as Aldo vs McGregor does he get paid for each fight or would the $1,900 be a flat fee for the night?

Hmmm. That figure does seem very low.

I suspect they get paid per-fight. I also suspect MMA refs can get work most weekends, especially in the current climate (there is almost a UFC or Bellator every weekend, and a ton of smaller shows). They probably don't become "rich", but I would have thought that most major refs make a tidy living.

Pure conjecture on my part though. 

I bet (until the Holm fight last month) referees would be delighted to get assigned Ronda's fights.

Big John refereed the Rousey/Zingano fight which main-evented a ppv, so he presumably earned around €1,900 that night to tell them to touch gloves and tell Ronda to release the armbar 14 seconds later.  :thumbsup:

• Paid Members

That's fair enough but I always just assumed a top ref like Big John would be on more than that. Someone at the top of their field who's been doing the job for over 20 years and is reffing a massive fight - $1,900 just sounds low. Wasn't expecting six figures or anything.

What kind of money are MMA judges on for a big UFC show? Anyone know?

Archived