UFC 194: Aldo vs McGregor

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Anderson Silva for such a long time looked untouchable, which is why hardly anyone including myself thought Weidman was going to win the first fight. This was down to anyone at 185 who looked impressive and got together a decent streak of wins ended up being outclass by Anderson. That's why the way the first Weidman fight ended was so shocking, no one had really managed to get a clean strike on Silva because of his insane head movement. So to see Silva get KTFO like that was huge and then Silva's leg snapping in the second fight, really did away with the myth of Anderson being unstoppable. Especially with all the steroids business after his return. I like Weidman as a fighter, but he has been plagued with injuries which will tarnish his time with the belt, if he beats Rockhold and continues to be champion. 

He does seem injury prone, but I think you're going a bit far about tarnishing his time with the belt. 2014 was the first time in his career where he hasn't fought more than two or more times in a year, and even then he still fought the one time.

GSP never defended his belt more than twice a year and suffered a serious injury and no one tarnishes his legacy.

• Paid Members

Chael Sonnen was definitely a world class fighter, but only against a certain kind of opponent. He was all wrong for Anderson. It's always easy to look back on Anderson's run and pick holes, he most definitely got a lot of favourable matchup's in terms of style but you can't knock the achievments. Pretty much every guy he faced deserved their crack at the belt.

That makes no sense Ebb. You're either a world class fighter or you're not. You can't pick your opponent to deem that label.

I see what you're saying but there's many fighters at the very top level who have nightmare types of opponents. Everyone has a kryptonite.

Chael Sonnen was definitely a world class fighter, but only against a certain kind of opponent. He was all wrong for Anderson. It's always easy to look back on Anderson's run and pick holes, he most definitely got a lot of favourable matchup's in terms of style but you can't knock the achievments. Pretty much every guy he faced deserved their crack at the belt.

That makes no sense Ebb. You're either a world class fighter or you're not. You can't pick your opponent to deem that label.

I see what you're saying but there's many fighters at the very top level who have nightmare types of opponents. Everyone has a kryptonite.

Obviously looking back in Hindsight the main reason Chael was so successful in that first Silva fight really does seem like it was down to Silva's rib injury. Sonnen got fucked up in the second fight against a much healthier Silva.

Sonnen never really evolved as a fighter, he really talked himself into that first match with Silva. The only difference between Sonnen in the UFC and the WEC was Chael talking shit. Which I will admit was entertaining as hell, but he was never an entertaining fighter relying on his wrestling to lay and pray. He would only stay active enough not to get the fight stood up and very rarely would he actually attempt to get full mount or a position to finish off an opponent.

• Paid Members

Obviously looking back in Hindsight the main reason Chael was so successful in that first Silva fight really does seem like it was down to Silva's rib injury. Sonnen got fucked up in the second fight against a much healthier Silva.

Sonnen never really evolved as a fighter, he really talked himself into that first match with Silva. The only difference between Sonnen in the UFC and the WEC was Chael talking shit. Which I will admit was entertaining as hell, but he was never an entertaining fighter relying on his wrestling to lay and pray. He would only stay active enough not to get the fight stood up and very rarely would he actually attempt to get full mount or a position to finish off an opponent.

I'm going to go the other way this time and say that's completely unfair on Sonnen Rey. Whilst what I was saying was against saying Sonnen being labelled as elite, I disagree with some of what you're saying.

Sonnen was anything but lay and pray. I define lay and pray as taking someone down and holding them down whilst doing fuck all. It's something that Ben Askren or Jon Fitch has been known to do. Sonnen was always active on the ground and displaying constant ground and pound. It may not have been the most powerful ground and pound, but he was always busy. 

For me, the perfect example of lay and pray was the Swedish Guy Martin in this current TUF. He got the finish, but for nearly two round took his opponent down, and didn't throw a single punch. 

It was lay and pray 2.0. Most refs will stand them up if the guy on top is doing nothing, so Sonnen managed to make it look like he was doing a lot of work, but open handed slaps don't do anything and Sonnen very rarely got to full mount or side control which is where you're more likely to get a submission. He never really utilised elbows, knees to the body or hammer fists, instead he opted for slaps and week arse punches.

• Paid Members

It was lay and pray 2.0. Most refs will stand them up if the guy on top is doing nothing, so Sonnen managed to make it look like he was doing a lot of work, but open handed slaps don't do anything and Sonnen very rarely got to full mount or side control which is where you're more likely to get a submission. He never really utilised elbows, knees to the body or hammer fists, instead he opted for slaps and week arse punches.

You're probably right, but no matter whether you put a 2.0 in front of it, it wasn't lay and pray. He's was always active and always busy. 

He was active and busy, but whereas most guys want to get into a position for a sub or to finish the fight with ground and pound, Chael seemed happy in half guard. He never went for side control or the full mount because that's when your opponent is most likely to slip out and stand up. Even though from side control is where you're going to get their back and put in a rear naked choke. A good BJJ practitioner will slip out to side control and as soon their opponent starts to stand up they'll get the hooks in and finish off the choke. Also from side control is how you can get in so many submissions, whether it is an Americana, D'arce choke, Anaconda roll or kimura. It was still lay and pray because he never advanced position and instead used his wrestling skill to smother his opponent holding them down for round after round. He used the skills he had to the best of his ability, but he was incredibly one dimensional. 

• Paid Members

Also, Carbomb, you really need to check that list of fighters again. Henderson you could maybe make a case for, but suggesting Maia, Marquardt, and especially Stephan Bonnar are world class then I don't really know where to begin to be fair.

Even Belfort, he's proven that whilst he's fucking lethal for a few minutes, he's a steriod cheat who has a 2 minute gas tank. 

Sorry, Bonnar was a mistake - I always confuse him with Forrest Griffin. 

• Paid Members

He's such an annoying cunt. He doesn't seem to realise that when people watch or listen to an interview or conference call, it's the fighter they want to hear from. An interviewer is supposed to just try to bring something interesting out of his subject. This greasy prick just loves the sound of his own voice.

There was an interview with him by IFL done before Klitschko vs Fury, and he was there at the start throwing punches and kicks and stuff. If Johnny Nelson does something like that I piss myself. When GAD does it I cringe. He's like that relative everyone has who you dread seeing at family events because he thinks he's the smartest, funniest, best looking, biggest cocked bloke on the planet and no-one tells him otherwise. It's fucking embarrassing that he's our representative of MMA journalism. We've really got our best man on the job there, haven't we? It's like sending Boris Johnson...well, anywhere. I always remember Dana's face at the McGregor vs Brandao show in Dublin last year, when he was sat with GAD, Caroline Pearce and Luke Barnatt after the show breaking down the fights. He had a look that just screamed 'fuck me, someone wrap this up and get me away from these stupid cunts'. Every time GAD spoke you could see Dana losing the will to live and doing a shit job hiding it.

It wouldn't surprise me if the real reason the UFC hardly come over here now is because Dana can't bear being around GAD. Not the international expansion, not scheduling conflicts, GAD. It's all his fault.

There was an interview with him by IFL done before Klitschko vs Fury, and he was there at the start throwing punches and kicks and stuff. If Johnny Nelson does something like that I piss myself. When GAD does it I cringe. 

I considered posting that.

At least his punches and kicks were funny in a David Brent sort of way. His actual interview was fucking boring. 

lambyUK, on 02 Dec 2015 - 11:00, said:

I've just watched the go big weidman/rockhold video, and it's a shame that it's not getting the huge buzz it deserves due to the main event, but I think Weidman vs Rockhold, in terms of talent, is the greatest middleweight fight of all time.

I would say Anderson vs Weidman surpasses it. Weidman vs Belfort and Anderson vs Belfort come close as well.

Other than that, I agree. In terms of talent, Middleweight moved on from Anderson Silva very quickly. 

Archived