UFC 194: Aldo vs McGregor

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Conference call

Media scrum

My main takeaway from the conference call, other than GAD being a complete dickhead, was how ridiculously confident Conor sounded. I know it's nothing new, but still. Man.His confidence and certainty that he's winning is something to truly behold. I can feel myself getting convinced just listening to him.

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

lambyUK, on 02 Dec 2015 - 11:00, said:

I've just watched the go big weidman/rockhold video, and it's a shame that it's not getting the huge buzz it deserves due to the main event, but I think Weidman vs Rockhold, in terms of talent, is the greatest middleweight fight of all time.

I would say Anderson vs Weidman surpasses it. Weidman vs Belfort and Anderson vs Belfort come close as well.

Other than that, I agree. In terms of talent, Middleweight moved on from Anderson Silva very quickly. 

The reason why I wouldn't hold those 3 up to this one Jim, is whilst we didn't know at the time, Anderson's age finally caught up to him during that first Weidman fight, Belfort was also shriveled Belfort is those 2 fights you mentioned as well.

This is 2 fighters in their absolute physical peaks, 2 absolute beasts as well, who have become the new hybrid of MMA fighters. Again, to make it clear, I'm talking talent here, not necessarily the biggest fight. 

• Paid Members

Check out McGregor on Jimmy Kimmel last night if you get a chance. Really fun interview and Conor came off like a star.

Is there a link around for the full thing? Can only find clips at the moment.

• Paid Members

http://www.the42.ie/conor-mcgregor-suit-kimmel-sparkle-2480429-Dec2015/

Check out McGregor on Jimmy Kimmel last night if you get a chance. Really fun interview and Conor came off like a star.

• Paid Members

Awesome. Cheers Herbie. That's lunch viewing sorted out.

• Paid Members

I know this may well get ignored with what's above it on the card but I'll ask anyway, maybe someone will answer...

What's the feeling on Jacare vs Romero? Who the fuck wins that one and how awesome a clash of the titans is it?

I'm giddy as fuck about this fight but no-one's talking about it. I totally get why, don't get me wrong. Aldo-McGregor and Weidman-Rockhold is probably the best one-two punch of headliners in UFC history. But fucking Jacare vs fucking Romero! I can't wrap my head around what's going to happen. I usually have some idea how I think a fight will go, I'm often wrong but I at least have my ideas what I think will happen. I don't have a Scooby Doo on this one though. Just can't envision how it goes at all. For some reason I'm feeling a Jacare win but I don't know why. I think just because he's been around longer, I'm more familiar with him and what a beast he is, whereas Romero is still relatively new on the scene. Romero's an animal though.

Really, fuck knows. I can't bastard wait!

Yeah Jacare vs Romero is fascinating but I've got a gut feeling it might be shit. I guess you'd give Jacare a big advantage on the mat and Romero the edge in the striking. Does Romero even want to try and take him down? Will he be able to stuff Jacare's takedowns? I don't think either are particularly brilliant defensively but they have got some of the best weapons in the divisions and that might make for either a cagey fight or all out war. Let's hope it's the latter. 

To be honest I haven't a clue but I'm going Jacare by sub. I'm looking forward to seeing someone who knows their onions like Robin Black break down this fight for me.

• Paid Members

I don't know if Romero has the striking advantage either, to be honest. Jacare is dangerous as fuck on the feet these days. He's more of a traditional striker and he has good power whereas Romero has an odd herky-jerky striking style which shouldn't work but it does for him (or has up to now). They're both powerful as fuck but they're so different I don't know how they're going to effect each other when they actually collide.

Jacare definitely has the advantage on the ground but can he take Romero down? Thinking more about it, I think they key could possibly be what tactics Romero comes in with. If he starts taking Jacare down a lot I could definitely see him getting caught in a submission. He hasn't fought anyone with as lethal a submission game as Jacare before. But if he's coming in to strike and can use his wrestling in reverse to keep the fight standing, then it's a striking match and although Jacare's dangerous on the feet his bread and butter is his BJJ obviously. I think a big part of why he's been successful in the striking is because he can spook his opponents with his BJJ game so while they're worrying about getting grappled, they're eating strikes. But on paper Romero has the wrestling background where he could possibly shut Jacare's takedowns down, rendering his BJJ pretty redundant outside of something rare like a flying armbar, standing guillotine etc.

Fascinating. If it turns into a standup fight I'm 50/50. But the more I'm thinking about it, Romero does get wild in there. I can see him having Jacare in some bother and then instinctively going to his takedown and getting snatched up in a sub or something.

Edit - also, for such a high level wrestler, Romero has shown surprising susceptibility to being taken down in a couple of fights. I'm sure Derek Brunson was able to take him down, but I could be thinking of another fight. And a wrestler on their back is often like a fish out of water. It won't be easy but if Jacare can put Romero on his back it'll be huge for him. Romero isn't used to being on his back and that combined with Jacare's ridiculous top game is a recipe for disaster.

Yeah, I think I'm going Jacare by sub. Don't place any bets on because of this though. Because I could easily see Romero just coming out and blitzing him as well.

• Paid Members

The winner of Aldo vs. McGregor goes on the cover of EA Sports UFC 2. Sounds like Conor was destined to go on it, but they're scared that announcing it ahead of time might jinx him like it did Ronda, as well as look bad if both cover stars are coming off losses.

• Paid Members

I've got a feeling if Aldo wins they'll change their mind and put Weidman or Cormier on there or something.

You're probably right. This has a very similar feeling to when they kept saying John Fitch would get the next title shot if he won, only for the goalposts to immediately change when he actually went out and won.

Archived