UFC 194: Aldo vs McGregor

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

How fucking gutted is Dana going to be if Aldo just wrecks or dominates McGregor? That's the two biggest current stars the UFC has - Rousey and McGregor - decisively beaten within a one month span. Not good.

Obviously I don't think a loss for McGregor is the end. Far from it. He'll still be a huge star for the UFC regardless. But Rousey and McGregor losing within one month would be pretty fucking shit for the UFC. At a time when GSP is gone, the Anderson Silva era is over, Jon Jones is still in his prime but he's a serial fuck up and at odds with Dana, now Ronda just got obliterated - they fucking need McGregor to shine more than ever. Dana can spin it however he wants, pretending he doesn't worry about who wins and loses and that he doesn't hope for certain wins and losses but he'll be fucking depressed on Sunday the 13th if Aldo is still the champion and McGregor is all beaten up and hobbling about on one leg.

I think they would stick with Aldo on the cover, he's been champ for years and the pound for pound best fighter if you don't count Jones, who has his own issues.

Anderson Silva wasn't a big draw until the Sonnen fight, well he had a big fight with Forrest Griffin but the rest did 300,000 or below including a unification fight with Dan Henderson. Who knows if Connor can do the same for Aldo.

• Paid Members

Maybe. There are similarities between Silva/Sonnen and Aldo/McGregor in that way, I agree. If Aldo wins this fight it could be the fight that pushes him into that superstar territory like the Sonnen fights did for Anderson.

• Paid Members

If Aldo wins I think he'll definitely get a rub similar to what Sonnen gave Silva. The only problem is that Aldo fights so infrequently that rather than capitalise on his momentum he'll probably fuck off again for twelve to eighteen months.

• Paid Members

If both Rousey and McGregor finish the year losing, while not ideal for Dana and co, it can still be rectified next year. At the very least, the UFC are guaranteed a huge number for Rousey/Holm II and if Rousey overcomes her greatest challenge it ensures the train is back on the tracks again - it also gives Rousey a lovely overcoming adversity thingy to tell Jimmy Kimmel and that. With McGregor he can always move up a division to continue interest and so long as he doesn't go on some mental Dan Hardy losing streak he'll do just fine.

Supremo is right too. If it's a tight fight a rematch is definitely on the cards.

The reason why I wouldn't hold those 3 up to this one Jim, is whilst we didn't know at the time, Anderson's age finally caught up to him during that first Weidman fight, Belfort was also shriveled Belfort is those 2 fights you mentioned as well.

This is 2 fighters in their absolute physical peaks, 2 absolute beasts as well, who have become the new hybrid of MMA fighters. Again, to make it clear, I'm talking talent here, not necessarily the biggest fight. 

Fair points.

I understood you meant from a talent perspective. Hence why I didn't cite Silva vs Sonnen as an example.

You might be right. The Middleweight division has never been stronger. You have Weidman, Romero, Jacare, Rockhold all in their pomp. The only thing with Anderson vs Weidman is that in their first fight, we still don't know how much Anderson had slipped. I agree by the time Anderson faced Diaz, he had lost half a step.

It pains me to see GAD front and center at all these massive events, that cunt is living the life isn't he?

Indeed, and he has been for at least 8 years now.

"Front and center" can be used as just a saying, but is directly applicable to GAD. As I have mentioned, at Froch vs Groves 1, he was moved to the front of the press section, despite being late. This seems to not have been a one-off. In the excellent "Making Haye" book, GAD is described as being at the front for Haye vs Valuev. 

The other press members are probably just as annoyed with him as us lot.

Jacare by sub.

That's my pick, but I am not confident with it.

The last few times I have seen Jacare, he has looked superb. The highlight being his mauling of Mousasi. However, I have just caught up on Romero's fight with Machida (I missed it at the time for some reason). Looking at Jacare's record, he hasn't really dealt with anyone as imposing as Romero, at least not for a while. 

As said - Flick a coin. 

• Paid Members

The last few times I have seen Jacare, he has looked superb. The highlight being his mauling of Mousasi. However, I have just caught up on Romero's fight with Machida (I missed it at the time for some reason). Looking at Jacare's record, he hasn't really dealt with anyone as imposing as Romero, at least not for a while. 

As said - Flick a coin.

You raise a good point. As great as Jacare is, I think Romero's win over Machida tops any of Jacare's MMA wins. People can say Machida is slipping but I don't even think he is. A couple of fights ago Machida took Weidman to the hardest fight of his career and it was a war. He's lost to Rockhold and Romero since. I don't think that's necessarily evidence of a real decline as Rockhold and Romero are two of the very best middleweights in the world. I don't think Machida has gotten worse, I just think everyone else is getting better. As lamby says, the overall skill level at 185 is better than ever.

So yeah, I rate Romero's win over Machida highly. He beat Machida easier than Weidman did and arguably just as impressively as Rockhold did. So Romero's legit. He also bashed up Tim Kennedy who was coming off a completely dominant victory over Michael Bisping. Romero's beat better opposition than Jacare has in recent fights. Not Jacare's fault because he's been a victim of some crappy luck with injuries/opponent changes etc, but Romero's proven he's the real deal and I agree hen might be the toughest opponent Jacare's ever had in his entire career.

I thought Romero looked like an absolute superstar coming off that Machida mauling. Shame it got overshadowed by his post-fight ramblings and the whole 'did he just have a go at gay marriage and then praise Gay Jesus?' bit.

While we're on the subject, this Yoel Romero highlight...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=dgV6sK1p0ws

It's fucking brilliant. Just like Romero is unlike other MMA fighters, this highlight is a refreshing break from the usual MMA highlight videos. Love it.

Agreed, Machida also beat Mousasi quite handily. He's no lame duck. In addition to talent, Middleweight is getting bigger. Weidman and Romero in particular are tanks. It's no surprise that Romero fought at 205lbs before he switched to the UFC. 

Nice video. The style reminds me of a video that used to be on Youtube about Roberto Duran.

• Paid Members

In regards to Romero/Jacare, it's so hard to call. That said, I'm hope Romero dominates and KO's Jacare as he's just a fascinating character. 

Whilst I won't have a problem if Jacare wins, he's just a bit bland from a promotional aspect. 

That said, I'll be amazed if both Jacare and Romero pass their random drug tests. 

• Paid Members

I see it being one of those fights where little happpens but when it does it'll be wild and exolosive. Not many guys like to attack Romero because he's so dangerous so he sometimes ends up in standoff type situations before exploding. I see this being the same way. It's a coin flip though, great fight!

It pains me to see GAD front and center at all these massive events, that cunt is living the life isn't he?

Indeed, and he has been for at least 8 years now.

"Front and center" can be used as just a saying, but is directly applicable to GAD. As I have mentioned, at Froch vs Groves 1, he was moved to the front of the press section, despite being late. This seems to not have been a one-off. In the excellent "Making Haye" book, GAD is described as being at the front for Haye vs Valuev. 

The other press members are probably just as annoyed with him as us lot.

It's alright lads, I'm hopefully doing journalism at uni next year. Give it three or so years and you'll be stuck with me on your telly. I'm only half the prick GAD is to. Plus I don't stick a fucking middle letter in my name and make a big deal about it!  :p  :laugh:

Archived