The 'migrant crisis.'

SpursRiot2012

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

What's Syrian food like anyway? If we do get an influx, it will be another addition to the range we get now. I do like the fact that I can get virtually any food I wish without traveling more than a mile.

Syrian cuisine is a diffusion of the cultures of civilizations that settled in Syria, particularly during and after the Islamic era beginning with the Arab Umayyad conquest, then the eventual Persian-influenced Abbasids and ending with the strong influences of Turkish cuisine, resulting from the coming of the Ottoman Turks. It is in many ways similar to other (Greater Syria) Levantine cuisines, mainly Lebanese, Palestinian, Jordanian and Iraqi.

Syrian cuisine includes dishes like kibbeh, kebab halabi, waraq `inab, hummus, tabbouleh, fattoush, labneh, shawarma, mujaddara, shanklish, bastirma, sujuk and baklava. Syrians often serve selections of appetizers, known as "meze", before the main course, and za`atar, minced beef, and cheese manaqish as hors d'oeuvres. Arabic flat bread is always eaten together with meze. Syrians also make cookies called "ka`ak", to usually accompany their cheese. These are made of farina and other ingredients, rolled out, shaped into rings and baked. Another form of a similar cookie is to fill with crushed dates mixed with butter to eat with their jibbneh mashallale[clarification needed], a string cheese made of curd cheese pulled and twisted together. A spice mixture called "baharat mushakalah" is endemic to Syrian cuisine.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_cuisine

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but it really confuses me that the majority of people that say the country can't afford to take in refugees and we need to 'look after our own first' are also the people that groan on about benefits, scroungers and whatever.

Surely, if you're of the opinion that the government is wasting money on people that don't need and/or deserve it then it figures that you also believe that money could be better spent on those in genuine need?!

Or is 'look after our own' code for 'look, I'm a bit racist. I haven't thought this through. Please don't push me on it'?!

• Paid Members

Being married to a migrant from the Middle East I've had more than my fair share of Arabic food. The main courses are a bit rubbish but the puddings are fantastic.

So if bringing in thousands of Syrians leads to widely available high quality baklava then I'm all for it.

This forum could turn a thread about babies being farmed for leather into a discussion on food or shitting.

This is a good point actually...

Will this new type of foreign-muck "immigrant" food play havoc on my (our) pure, white, proud, traditional English guts, leading to me (us) shitting like a newborn baby? Because if that's the case, send 'em back I say, send 'em all back!

I'll stick to my Ye Olde English Curries or some Cornish Pizza, thank you very much!

Archived