The 'migrant crisis.'

SpursRiot2012

We're the only country calling them "migrants" rather than refugees.

In Australia they are lovingly called "boat people" by the media and politicians. Sadly this term is used interchangeably with genuine asylum seekers, illegal immigrants, and people who legally come in on a visa and then flee.

On the Bugle, John Oliver called the Australians the people most comfortable with their casual racism, and made special reference to their hatred of "Lebbos" — is that really what it's like?

Sorry only just saw this.

Admittedly I don't have the experience of living in every country (obviously) however I would say I was taken a little taken about by the casual racism. The keyword here is "casual" (I'll leave it up to you whether it justifies it or not). In fact many Australians are proud about it.

So what I mean by that is that people will quite happily use mild racist terms against you in a friendly manner. I've heard various mild racist terms against Brits, the Irish, Aboriginals etc etc. Though the latter is a bit more of a sensitive topic.

However beyond this friendly "banter" there is a bit of a darker side. I'm on the opinion that Australians are sometimes offish towards foreigners. In my current job I get on like a house on fire with fellow Europeans, but trying to get in with a Australian friendship group is like trying to squeeze water out of a rock. Many of them can be downright antisocial with you (say "hi" and be greeted with silence for example).

The real targets at the moment are the Aboriginals, where there is understandable tensions and is considerably worst in more remote areas, and the Chinese, who have invested in a lot of Australian property and thus caused issues with rising house prices.

In regards to migrants, and as mentioned in my post earlier, there is this weird catch all term; "Boat People". In fact when I was talking to some Australian about 'Asylum Seekers' they had no bloody idea what I was on about. It really makes me very uncomfortable as the term is openly used by politicians to describe migrants, illegal immigrants and genuine asylum seekers.

However this is beginning to change, as they've just coined "plane people" to ensure people like "me" aren't including. Charming.

Currently many Australians are "anti boat people". Which is hilarious when you think about the recent history of the country. Similarly to the UK, there is a vocal group of people who (a) don't like us taking their jobs and (b) don't want people coming in and claiming benefits.   

Want to know how bad it is? Australia passed a law back in July banning anyone to discuss the conditions of, or reporting crime that happen within migrant detention camps. That caused a big uproar that's for sure: 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-28/barns-newhouse-detention-centre-secrecy-just-got-even-worse/6501086

And they ALMOST (stopped at the last minute) had officers on the streets with the power to stop and see passports / Visa of anyone they suspected of being illegal:

http://www.news.com.au/national/politics/australian-border-force-under-fire-from-mps-after-campaign-of-fear-in-melbourne/story-fns0jze1-1227503403655

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I hate the sun, but don't shoot a gift horse, it's usually sun readers who spout a fuck load of racist drivel. However, whilst these reports are self serving, I can overlook this, as them doing so might change the views of their typically ignorant readers, who knows, compassion might even creep in.

Don't champion the sun, but let them inadvertently transform some of their readers in to potential thinkers

Thought this was a pretty good point, although I was still skeptical of The Sun in this matter. The very next day:

20150906_184332png.jpg.png

Yeah, that'll sort it. Bomb Syria.

Turns out that was the set-up for:

_85400354_sun7.jpg

Does that mean 48% of the public are cowards as well?

• 2 weeks later...

It's saddening times. But I'm pretty sure we're actually taking on less refugees than most places. We certainly don't have the amount of migrants that a Germany has. People who say the country is full are idiots. I live in Wales. There's nothing but room here. And the room which isn't required for farming should be used for social housing. The lack of social housing is a massive factor which is going under the radar as regards this situation. If we built more of it on unused land then we could house more refugees and I wouldn't have to live with my mum.

Absolutely.

It's the same up here in Scotland. Outwith Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee, Aberdeen and Inverness the place is practically empty.

The government just don't care about building affordable social housing or renovating the run down areas to a live-able standard though.

Well if it bothers you that much why don't you put them up in your house?

• Paid Members

It's saddening times. But I'm pretty sure we're actually taking on less refugees than most places. We certainly don't have the amount of migrants that a Germany has. People who say the country is full are idiots. I live in Wales. There's nothing but room here. And the room which isn't required for farming should be used for social housing. The lack of social housing is a massive factor which is going under the radar as regards this situation. If we built more of it on unused land then we could house more refugees and I wouldn't have to live with my mum.

Absolutely.

It's the same up here in Scotland. Outwith Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee, Aberdeen and Inverness the place is practically empty.

The government just don't care about building affordable social housing or renovating the run down areas to a live-able standard though.

why don't you fuck off?

Absolutely.

why don't you fuck off?

For having an opinion.....no thanks!

• Paid Members

You weren't expressing an opinion though. You were asking an stupid and irrelevant question and trying to trivialise the discussion that was going on. It was as intelligent as if you'd posted "Well, if you love refugees so much why don't you marry one?"

That's my opinion, by the way.

• Moderators

Absolutely.

Watch out lads, we've Bertrand fucking Russell here!

Complain about lack of social housing =/= Take in refugees into your home regardless of personal circumstance.

Question is, can we really complain when the centre-right government that we as a nation democratically voted into power gets all right-wing-y about immigration? 

I've also seen numerous polls that sadly suggest that a very large chunk of the population doesn't want to help these refugees, or indeed welcome immigrants to our shores. Could it be said that as a nation we're just a bunch of racist, xenophobic arseholes?

Archived