The 'migrant crisis.'

SpursRiot2012

That's is fucking disgusting, both the article and the comments. Way to go the Sun, why not make it all about 'fame' and 'Sun wot won it' rather than you know, face the fucking issues at hand. Yeah, but 'we' raised 350k, arent we good. 

Boak

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Typical tabloid schmaltz that fails to address anything except the knee-jerk emotional reactions of its readers.

The idea of fostering is laudable but what then? What about the rest of these families? They will want access to their children. If they stay, how do the less-skilled contribute? Are they allocated jobs while we have indigenous unemployed? Do we generate more economy-stretching "bullshit jobs" just so they can earn a crust? If halfway houses are set up, what should refugees be entitled to (regardless of the inevitable comparisons between the living conditions of them, prisoners, and the elderly)?

The identification of the refugees as Syrian has only been fairly recent (at least to me), which unfortunately set off my cynicism alert. Syria was on the US' hit list along with Iran not too long ago. I hope this is just a coincidence and not another phase of propaganda.

• Paid Members

That's is fucking disgusting, both the article and the comments. Way to go the Sun, why not make it all about 'fame' and 'Sun wot won it' rather than you know, face the fucking issues at hand. Yeah, but 'we' raised 350k, arent we good.

Boak

I hate the sun, but don't shoot a gift horse, it's usually sun readers who spout a fuck load of racist drivel. However, whilst these reports are self serving, I can overlook this, as them doing so might change the views of their typically ignorant readers, who knows, compassion might even creep in.

Don't champion the sun, but let them inadvertently transform some of their readers in to potential thinkers

Apparently there are over 600,000 empty properties in the UK, with over 200,000 being vacant for at least 6 months. We shouldn't really even have a housing/homeless problem, let alone be "too full" for desperate refugees fleeing from militant regimes.

Was this from a Guardian article?? Do you have a link? I'd like to have a read as cannot find it myself and had a debate about t all tonight.

The Guardian did cover it, I checked the facts out here though...

http://www.emptyhomes.com/

It used Government data from 2014 for the latest figures.

The latest Government data on vacant dwellings shows over 610,000 empty homes in England with over 200,000 long-term vacant dwellings (that is homes unoccupied for over six months)

• Paid Members

Apparently there are over 600,000 empty properties in the UK, with over 200,000 being vacant for at least 6 months. We shouldn't really even have a housing/homeless problem, let alone be "too full" for desperate refugees fleeing from militant regimes.

There are quite a few run down areas where houses have been left empty for a considerable amount of time while waiting for renewal or demolition. They are invariable terraced houses where a few in the street need structural work doing on them that is so severe, it renders the adjoining properties dangerous too. Can't see there being 600,000 though.

That may account for a proportion of the empty properties but I'd wager the majority are high value dwellings with foreign owners that are not always in the UK.

Nothing wrong with that, but local authorities should be investigating PSL agreements with those owners.

A mate of mine put on his Facebook about how he was disgusted with people he was friends with not knowing the difference between a migrant and a refugee. Some bell went on a big rant about how it isn't Great Britain any more thanks to immigrants. So he is moving to Canada but insists he won't be an immigrant but a law abiding citizen. I've been having fun.

There are quite a few run down areas where houses have been left empty for a considerable amount of time while waiting for renewal or demolition. They are invariable terraced houses where a few in the street need structural work doing on them that is so severe, it renders the adjoining properties dangerous too. Can't see there being 600,000 though.
That may account for a proportion of the empty properties but I'd wager the majority are high value dwellings with foreign owners that are not always in the UK.

Nothing wrong with that, but local authorities should be investigating PSL agreements with those owners.

For anyone interested, Private Eye have produced a map listing all properties in the UK owned by people/businesses abroad. Eye opening

• Paid Members

Was this from a Guardian article?? Do you have a link? I'd like to have a read as cannot find it myself and had a debate about t all tonight.

The Guardian did cover it, I checked the facts out here though...

http://www.emptyhomes.com/

It used Government data from 2014 for the latest figures.

The latest Government data on vacant dwellings shows over 610,000 empty homes in England with over 200,000 long-term vacant dwellings (that is homes unoccupied for over six months)[/size]

I've been out of The Social Housing sector for 4 years, and now you've dragged me back in Ya bastard! I'll have a good look at that now, will be interesting to see what's happening out there.

• Paid Members

I hate the sun, but don't shoot a gift horse, it's usually sun readers who spout a fuck load of racist drivel. However, whilst these reports are self serving, I can overlook this, as them doing so might change the views of their typically ignorant readers, who knows, compassion might even creep in.

Don't champion the sun, but let them inadvertently transform some of their readers in to potential thinkers

Thought this was a pretty good point, although I was still skeptical of The Sun in this matter. The very next day:

20150906_184332png.jpg.png

Yeah, that'll sort it. Bomb Syria.

• Paid Members

I take it back, instead I urge you all to wipe a bit of shite over the right hand side of every sun paper in your local newsagents, so any potential reader will end up with plop fingers.

That front page, Jesus, to be fair, I should have guessed there was a twist, my cynicism alarm has been restored

The only positive to take from this is that 48% of sun readers, that's SUN READERS, have said 'War? No, fuck that'.

Archived