The 'migrant crisis.'

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

I really wanted somewhere to ask what people thought of the 'migrant crisis' throughout Europe. Especially after that picture of that boy on the beach today. The Independent's front page was especially horrible and it seems now that finally people are really waking up to the fact that these people aren't just a load of free-loaders looking to claim European benefits and whatever else, that they're actual human beings fleeing wars and other hardships.

Britain has been taking such a tiny percentage of this latest 'influx' that it's a fucking joke when you go on Twitter and see a bunch of knobs shouting about how "full" the country is.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

it seems now that finally people are really waking up to the fact that these people aren't just a load of free-loaders looking to claim European benefits and whatever else, that they're actual human beings fleeing wars and other hardships.

I certainly hope so. It feels like there’s been a deliberate attempt by both our politicians & the media to dehumanise the situation & treat it like an economic issue as opposed to a humanitarian one.

The whole country over the past few years seems to have become a lot less compassionate. The UK's currently being investigated by the UN for the way we treat disabled people & I’ve seen very little outcry over the thousands of people who died shortly after being found ‘fit for work’ by ATOS & the stories of growing care home abuse. What the fuck is going on?

• Paid Members

I think there are a fair number of genuine "economic migrants" who, for whatever reason, want to make a better life for themselves rather than fearing for their safety and that's used as an excuse by Tory cunts to tar everyone with the same brush. rather than getting to the heart of the matter and trying to process genuine refugees we focus on building fences and getting more police to "deal" with these people.

There's so little sympathy that it makes me sick. I work with someone who refers to them as "scroungers" (no it's not Katie Hopkins). When you ask why they think people are risking death clinging to boats across the med just to scrounge, they've no answer.

That front page this morning seems to have opened a lot of eyes. I noted those cunts at the Daily Mail had a similar one. They've changed their tune since Friday. It was a migrant crisis on Friday, a human catastrophe today.

• Paid Members

It's true. Can't even get out of our building for people.

If you fancy abusing anyone today, this UKIP cunt should be at the front of the queue:

@bucklitsch - The little Syrian boy was well clothed & well fed. He died because his parents were greedy for the good life in Europe. Queue jumping costs.

• Paid Members

@bucklitsch - The little Syrian boy was well clothed & well fed. He died because his parents were greedy for the good life in Europe. Queue jumping costs.

That's fucking scandalous!!!! That can't be legit! What's wrong with people?

Haven't seen the image and don't want to see the image. It's not ignorance, I just have no will or urge to reduce myself to tears. I'm sure I'll see the image at some stage over the coming days, but I'm not looking at it of my own accord.

Apparently the UK and Ireland aren't doing enough. Can't comment on the UK, but the amount of fucking idiots who are ringing radio stations over here and saying "They're coming in to take our jobs. It's all a hoax. It'll reduce our dole!" over here is shocking.

• Paid Members

Apparently the UK and Ireland aren't doing enough. Can't comment on the UK, but the amount of fucking idiots who are ringing radio stations over here and saying "They're coming in to take our jobs. It's all a hoax. It'll reduce our dole!" over here is shocking.

it'll reduce their dole?! :laugh:

Who are the freeloaders in all of this? Us or them?

It's a shameful situation and that it's been allowed to get this far is criminal.

The front page of the wee boy was heartbreaking.

We're the only country calling them "migrants" rather than refugees.

In Australia they are lovingly called "boat people" by the media and politicians. Sadly this term is used interchangeably with genuine asylum seekers, illegal immigrants, and people who legally come in on a visa and then flee.

I really wanted somewhere to ask what people thought of the 'migrant crisis' throughout Europe. Especially after that picture of that boy on the beach today. The Independent's front page was especially horrible and it seems now that finally people are really waking up to the fact that these people aren't just a load of free-loaders looking to claim European benefits and whatever else, that they're actual human beings fleeing wars and other hardships.

Britain has been taking such a tiny percentage of this latest 'influx' that it's a fucking joke when you go on Twitter and see a bunch of knobs shouting about how "full" the country is.

Riot, how do we go about discussing the issue with solutions and idea's without being branded racist or xenophobic?

In all of this, from all walks and levels of life, there only seems to be two sides and no middle ground. I've yet to hear or see anyone lay out a decent idea/solution to all of this but there is no easy fix.

Anyone with the slightest bit of compassion will be heartbroken by the picture of the young boy who died a needless and tragic death but the harsh reality is, is that this is not the first time it will have happened and it won't be the last.

• Paid Members

The uk media blurs the line between economic migration and refugees.

It play's on the bigotry of one and the sympathy of another.

The root cause of the problem is the growing global population as a result of us all having it too good as a species.

I know it sounds hard but we all live too well to long, and it's that sustainability I'm concerned with.

By rights I should be dead, the fact I'm not means we are keeping the lost going at the cost of the strong. It's not nice to say but we have a limited plain open for life and we have begun, the last 150 years or so, to play god big time with that.

• Paid Members

We're the only country calling them "migrants" rather than refugees.

In Australia they are lovingly called "boat people" by the media and politicians. Sadly this term is used interchangeably with genuine asylum seekers, illegal immigrants, and people who legally come in on a visa and then flee.

On the Bugle, John Oliver called the Australians the people most comfortable with their casual racism, and made special reference to their hatred of "Lebbos" — is that really what it's like?

• Paid Members

how do we go about discussing the issue with solutions and idea's without being branded racist or xenophobic?

Probably by not saying racist & xenophobic things.

In my experience whenever someone claims they can't discuss immigration without being called a racist it's usually because they're racist.

• Moderators

It's saddening times. But I'm pretty sure we're actually taking on less refugees than most places. We certainly don't have the amount of migrants that a Germany has. People who say the country is full are idiots. I live in Wales. There's nothing but room here. And the room which isn't required for farming should be used for social housing. The lack of social housing is a massive factor which is going under the radar as regards this situation. If we built more of it on unused land then we could house more refugees and I wouldn't have to live with my mum.

Archived