The 'migrant crisis.'

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

It's saddening times. But I'm pretty sure we're actually taking on less refugees than most places. We certainly don't have the amount of migrants that a Germany has. People who say the country is full are idiots. I live in Wales. There's nothing but room here. And the room which isn't required for farming should be used for social housing. The lack of social housing is a massive factor which is going under the radar as regards this situation. If we built more of it on unused land then we could house more refugees and I wouldn't have to live with my mum.

Absolutely.

It's the same up here in Scotland. Outwith Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee, Aberdeen and Inverness the place is practically empty.

The government just don't care about building affordable social housing or renovating the run down areas to a live-able standard though.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Echoing those comments. "We're full, we're brimming..."- are we bollocks. There is plenty of uninhabited land not used for farming, agriculture etc. Stick social housing on there.

People will often point to the 'fact' that we have such a high density of population, which to be honest isn't as true as is made out. We're 51st on a list of 244 states and one thing to bear in mind is that virtually all of our land is habitable and fertile, unlike so many countries where much of the land is uninhabitable. We don't really have large mountainous areas in comparison to others, no dry arid lands or frozen wastelands. Thus even the population density figures cannot be relied on in this context.

• Paid Members

I don't think anybody really thinks the UK is full do they? What they think is full is the schools, doctors surgeries, hospitals etc. We desperately need more social housing and better infrastructure. We are unable to house vulnerable people born here let alone refugees who are also in crucial need of our help. It would be lovely to just build a load of houses and solve the problem, but these people need work, education, health, dare I say an actual life, so just building houses isn't enough.

Something drastic needs to be done because this is just heart-breaking to see, and I feel so useless.

• Paid Members

I don't think anybody really thinks the UK is full do they?

Yes, they do. I've spoken to at least five people who don't drill down to the level of services being under stress, they just think that the country is "Full". I don't know what they specifically mean by that — obviously it's not a one-in, one-out situation where a British person falls into the sea when a migrant touches the shore, but they aren't thinking with much more than the animal part of their brains that tells them Britain is for the British, whatever that means.

• Paid Members

I don't think anybody really thinks the UK is full do they?

Yes, they do. I've spoken to at least five people who don't drill down to the level of services being under stress, they just think that the country is "Full". I don't know what they specifically mean by that — obviously it's not a one-in, one-out situation where a British person falls into the sea when a migrant touches the shore, but they aren't thinking with much more than the animal part of their brains that tells them Britain is for the British, whatever that means.

I got in 2 arguments with Sanjay Bagga on Facebook a few weeks ago because he thinks Britain is too full and no more immigrants (or refugees) should be allowed in & that they're all spongers. I had to unfriend him, since he kept deleting my comments after he realised how dumb he looked. Yes - I was defending immigration to the son of an immigrant.

I kept thinking he was trolling me with his comments, but he wasn't - he actually lacks any sort of self-awareness. And in between these 2 arguments over immigration, he also said Hulk Hogan's comments weren't racist - myself & Mo Chatra actually argued with him over that one...

• Paid Members

Further to my earlier discussion with my dad, I've now hung up on him three times in three days because I'm sick of his tone-deaf comment on immigration. I don't really understand it, I feel like he must just be trolling me, as I don't bring it up to him just to avoid the argument, but he seems to want to win me over to his side. The rest of the people that went on about it on Facebook are unnecessary in every way, just the standard people that I went to school with, so they got fucked right off.

When I was 14 I was a communist but we all learn to not be so daft.

Delighted to see social housing being mentioned here.  There's an empty patch of land right next to my work that could easily be used to build 80-100 good sized flats.  The ground was ex-local authority but has now been given over to GHA (housing association  who class themselves as a social landlord) who have decided to build on the land.  The problem is they're looking to put houses in that will be rented at market rates so anywhere from 485pcm to upwards of 600pcm depending on size and fittings.  Given that other much smaller housing associations are able to provide the same properties int he same area at 350pcm this is beginning to look like a money grab based off the desperate need for housing.

• Paid Members

The country is not full, there is loads of unused land before you start hitting the green and pleasant stuff. Social Housing however is. The selling of council properties had not helped, and although they are monstrosities, high rise blocks meant maximum housing with minimum land. The problem here is where should we put them? Camps? Prefabs? Neither are exactly suitable housing, but is it better than they are experiencing now?

It was a little easier when the Kosovians came over. There were surplus unused estates that they took as nobody wanted them. Sadly they are all used up.

Really don't know what can be done for a short term solution.

Archived