The 'migrant crisis.'

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

That's what I meant by prefabs. Most of my family come from the inner part of Manchester that suffered severe bombing during the war rendering a lot of people homeless. Hough End in Chorlton was turned into mass temporary accommodation, and people lived there for around 10 years while estates such as Wythenshawe were built so they could move on. Some remain in the Altrincham area, as the people who lived there were quite happy staying. Communities were built, but you have to avoid such a thing becoming a ghetto.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good, bring em all in!!!!

Build 1000s of new houses!

I mean maybe unemployment will go up, therefore welfare dependency will increase as will crime as a result.

Lets not forget the massive effect it will have on the already at breaking point NHS.

Oh and we'll need more schools & teachers that are multilingual & adaptive to religious needs.

Just one small problem...who the fuck is paying for all this?

Cant go splashing the cash in the middle of the austerity crisis can we????

• Moderators

I mean maybe unemployment will go up, therefore welfare dependency will increase as will crime as a result.

Lets not forget the massive effect it will have on the already at breaking point NHS.

Oh and we'll need more schools & teachers that are multilingual & adaptive to religious needs.

Wouldn't building 1000s of houses lower unemployment? And I've no qualms with multilingual schools. Many European children are multilingual and in the UK we really lag behind there.

I mean where to start with this bullshit?

Wouldn't building 1000s of houses lower unemployment? And I've no qualms with multilingual schools. Many European children are multilingual and in the UK we really lag behind there.

Well, the housebuilders will mostly be skilled Eastern European, so their unemployment will go down...

• Paid Members

You wanna fund "1000's of new houses" as you put it? 

Get rid of this fucking nonsense for a start.....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/george-osborne-vows-500m-submarine-base-investment-will-safeguard-scottish-jobs-10479133.html

Apparently there are over 600,000 empty properties in the UK, with over 200,000 being vacant for at least 6 months. We shouldn't really even have a housing/homeless problem, let alone be "too full" for desperate refugees fleeing from militant regimes.

Was this from a Guardian article?? Do you have a link? I'd like to have a read as cannot find it myself and had a debate about t all tonight.

• Paid Members

Apparently there are over 600,000 empty properties in the UK, with over 200,000 being vacant for at least 6 months. We shouldn't really even have a housing/homeless problem, let alone be "too full" for desperate refugees fleeing from militant regimes.

There are quite a few run down areas where houses have been left empty for a considerable amount of time while waiting for renewal or demolition. They are invariable terraced houses where a few in the street need structural work doing on them that is so severe, it renders the adjoining properties dangerous too. Can't see there being 600,000 though.

The migration issue isn't a problem in itself. It's made out to be by the media as that is a contentious angle, but we're all aware of how situations can be skewed. For every chancer looking for a meal ticket there are a dozen trained professionals looking to provide for their families in a safe prosperous society. The reasons for migration are the real issue. This highlights that some nations have a considerably higher standard of living than others, so I would ask why so many other nations are so far behind. If it's a matter of resources, then it's symptomatic of the global problem of population explosion. But if it's societal, then the solution looks like it can only come through some kind of intervention, which is a whole other debate. We've all heard stories of monies going to support nations in Africa being siphoned off by the governments into the military or their own pockets (no doubt much more prevalent across the globe albeit less heard-about). If a government is clearly not looking after its people, then actions should be taken to improve the people's situation, but how? Deprivation of alms as deterrent only affects the people you want to help. Military or economic invasion is a no-no. But if a nation cannot sustain itself without direct outside help, should that affect its rights or status on the global political table?

I'm all for fair and stringent regulation of migration, but I'm far from informed enough to offer an opinion I'm satisfied with on refugees. It's too big an issue for my tiny man brain.

• Paid Members

We already have, if anything, too many taxi firms and pizza shops round here so I'm not sure where they would all fit. You could always have them do shoddy call center work but that just means sending them all back to India anyway.

• Paid Members

There are no simple answers, and I don't mean to imply that there are, but watching the way the debate is unfolding I find myself once again being forced to considered the fact that there are a proportion of the British Public who are cunts.

That's not saying I'm advocating a simplistic debate where anyone who says anything less than open the borders is branded a racist and xenophobe. However there is a sense that in some sections people don't care about, emphasise with or even acknowledge the human plight of the refugees. That's depressing. What's worse is sometimes indifference to their plight seems to be teamed with a sentiment of, "Fuck 'em they're Muslim."

Someone made the point (I forget who and where) that if the majority of these refugees were white Christians then nobody in British national newspapers would be throwing around words like cockroach. I can't help but agree. If there were some cataclysmic event in Australia and millions of Australians had to leave their homeland on mass and in a hurry would The Sun and The Daily Mail depict them as opportunistic free-loaders whose mass migration is motivated by a desire for British benefits?

Archived