UFC 189: McGregor vs Mendes

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Fucking great news to wake up to!

One thing though, why's Chad Mendes the next #1 contender over Frankie Edgar? The same Chad Mendes who's only one fight removed from his last title shot which he lost. Don't get that. I thought Edgar was the nailed-on next in line after Aldo vs McGregor.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fucking great news to wake up to!

One thing though, why's Chad Mendes the next #1 contender over Frankie Edgar? The same Chad Mendes who's only one fight removed from his last title shot which he lost. Don't get that. I thought Edgar was the nailed-on next in line after Aldo vs McGregor.

Probably to prove that the champion (Conor) can and will defeat a Wrestler.

Could it simply be a case of Edgar might have been asked but not willing to take a fight on 2 weeks notice. Edgar fought last month whereas Mendes hasn't fought since April.

If the fight doesn't happen I'll be gutted as it's the first time I've really been looking forward to a fight for quite a while

• Paid Members

Could it simply be a case of Edgar might have been asked but not willing to take a fight on 2 weeks notice. Edgar fought last month whereas Mendes hasn't fought since April.

That was my thought. Pretty reasonable really.

Great news. Someone wrap Aldo up in cotton wool for the next couple of weeks ...

• Paid Members

Probably to prove that the champion (Conor) can and will defeat a Wrestler.

Edgar's a wrestler as well though.

It probably is the notice thing. I can see why Frankie wouldn't want to take a title shot on short notice. It's taken him over two years to get back in this position. It'd be silly if he came in underprepared. Mendes has probably been in camp helping his teammates for their upcoming fights so he must feel like he'd be good to go.

This is actually a big win for the UFC now. Aldo won't be at 100%, that much is for sure. Even if he's "just" busted cartilage in his ribs he'll be finding it hard to move for a while yet, so he'll not be training and tapering down as he'd have liked. It'll also still be affecting him come fight time.

If McGregor wins (which I actually think he will now after this), it'll result in a rematch being signed up with all the usual tomfoolery in the build up with McGregor calling him a bitch for crying about injured ribs (even though he most likely won't be the guy who actually talks about his ribs or makes excuses), the hype going back and forth and so on.

UFC will make a shitload of money, the fans will have to pay out yet again to actually see both guys fighting at the top of their game, and we could end up with a trilogy.

I'd rather have waited a few months and seen both guys come in ready to go personally, but that's just me.

• Paid Members

The big "phew" this morning. Fair play Aldo too. While I'm sure the primary reason for desperately wanting to fight is financial (not that there is anything wrong with that), there are a lot of fans that would have been disappointed if this didn't happen. Imagine paying all that money to travel to Vegas only to find out the fight is postponed.

As David typed, Conor beating a busted up Aldo and being a prick about it is golden.

• Paid Members

There's so many different ways to look at it. As David mentioned above, there's a bigger chance of Mcgregor now beating Aldo and thus an immediate rematch down the line is a bigger possibility. However, will this news of an injured Aldo impact on potential PPV buys? I have to admit, knowing that Aldo isn't going into this fight healthy, has unfortunately dampened my excitement a little as I wanted to see these guys go at it at their best. Say if Connor wins, I can't help but feel that moment would be deflated a little knowing that he's beaten an unfit man as opposed to me flipping out under normal circumstances.

• Paid Members

I'd say an immediate rematch was a certainty anyway given Aldo's reign. I don't think fans will care about Aldo's injury tbh. I know it's not exactly the same (as his injury was undisclosed) but look at the first Silva/Sonnen fight. Even though we learned about Silva’s rib injury afterwards people still questioned its legitimacy, there were posters on here calling bullshit even after the ‘Like Water’ film was released! It’s the same mindset we were talking about how people will discredit McGregor’s performances because they don’t like him personally. If Connor wins his fans will ignore Aldo’s injury & claim Aldo was making excuses. If Aldo wins the injury won’t be mentioned. It’s just the nature of the beast.

Still glad it’s going ahead. Would’ve been a bit of damp squib after all this marketing & build up.

• Paid Members

I actually think the injury makes this fight even more interesting in a fucked up way. Of course I'd prefer it if they were both coming in at 100% but that rarely happens anyway. The amount of injuries these guys must come into the cage with is probably worse than we think. We probably just don't even hear about a lot of them. Now Aldo's injured ribs are added into what was already a fascinating fight. Will Aldo have to change his tactics? Will McGregor target the body more now? Will Aldo have a counter ready for that? Will Aldo tire quicker because of this? Will McGregor come in over-aggressive and overconfident now thinking he's got more of an advantage? This injury just adds another layer of interest for me.

All that said, my arse is still going to twitch every time I see this thread bumped. Right up until they're both actually in the cage.

There always seems to be more leaks about training camp injuries coming from Brazil than say USA. Fuckers can't keep anything secret.

It does Aldo no favours at all, if he does indeed fight, he probably has to significantly change his strategy to protect this weakness that McGregor will no doubt try to exploit. If his camp had kept quiet I couldn't ever really see targeting the body being a key part of Conor's game-plan during this fight.

You always hear people in post fight interviews, win or lose, mentioning how they nearly had to pull out because they suffered an injury. The coaches need to tell everyone involved in their camp to keep quiet or even sign a non-disclosure form if it's a big fight like this, because it goes to show this has significantly altered Aldo's chances of winning if he does infact make it to UFC 189.

• Paid Members

Don't want to piss on the parade here, but I've *heard* that Aldo is out and Mendes is in - but they're just stringing people along with the whole "Aldo should be fine, but we have a backup just in case" scenario until the day before. McGregor already knows it's Mendes & is now training for such - and it's going to be for an interim belt, purely so the fans get the title fight they were promised. It's all about public perception & damage control now. But the decision has been made & it's the best option they have. The unification match will do big business (well, if Conor wins it).

I can't say it's 100% true, but I've heard. 

Archived