UFC 189: McGregor vs Mendes

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

If that's true the whole Interim Title thing seems a bit unnecessary? It's not like Aldo's been out for ages

Don't know if it's true. But if it's Mendes, it's definitely for an interim belt - that's been confirmed. That's purely a marketing move though. If Aldo isn't back until October, it'll be 1 year since he fought, and that's their threshold for an interim belt despite the ridiculousness of it in this case.

Can't disclose the source - and I hope to fuck I'm wrong. But if it turns out to be Mendes on July 11th, that still doesn't confirm it was the plan from yesterday anyway!

In other related news, funny quote from John Kavanagh:

11665409_920837104629678_675474185195663

• Paid Members

Don't want to piss on the parade here, but I've *heard* that Aldo is out and Mendes is in - but they're just stringing people along with the whole "Aldo should be fine, but we have a backup just in case" scenario until the day before. McGregor already knows it's Mendes & is now training for such - and it's going to be for an interim belt, purely so the fans get the title fight they were promised. It's all about public perception & damage control now. But the decision has been made & it's the best option they have. The unification match will do big business (well, if Conor wins it).

I can't say it's 100% true, but I've heard.

It'll be a shame if this is true, but I can completely believe it. Reading the news that the fight was on this morning, it felt super jarring when they suddenly mentioned that Mendes was on standby. If Aldo only had minor injuries, and wanted to fight, then why would you even need to mention the substitute? It seems entirely plausible that what you're saying is correct, everyone knows that Aldo is out, but this is the best way to string everyone along.

Fucking love that quote about Conor opening one eye though. He's hilarious.

• Paid Members

I think Mendes beats him usually. But then, he'd be coming in on two weeks notice. It'd all depend on how in shape Mendes was when he got the call IMO.

Not that I'm writing McGregor off if he fights Mendes. All we're really basing the 'McGregor will struggle with wrestlers' thing on is 1) gut feeling and 2) his only career losses being on the ground. But 1) that's a gut feeling and 2) those losses were so long ago now it'd almost be like holding Aldo's submission loss ten years ago against him now.

He will have improved. The question is how much and will it be enough? The short notice for Mendes makes it trickier. But if Mendes is in good form, I'd fancy him to beat McGregor. Sadly.

Fuck knows. Hopefully it won't come to this though and we'll still get Aldo vs McGregor.

Oh and if Edgar wasn't even contacted to step in that's bollocks. That means they've just decided Mendes leapfrogs Edgar as the next contender. That's bullshit if that's what they've done. Edgar's 4-0 since his last title shot. Mendes got a shot less than a year, lost and is 1-0 since. Edgar should've got this shot to me. Or at least been offered it.

• Paid Members

Rumour on Twitter is that Conor's got an injured knee, too. Looks like the original source might be Front Row Brian though, so hardly concrete. Seems to have been confirmed from another source though. Herbie, you've seemingly got connections here, have you heard anything?

• Paid Members

Of fuck off.

If they're both injured just push it back a few months. It's shit but I'd rather have to wait a bit longer than Aldo go in with dodgy ribs and McGregor go in gimp-kneed. Or Mendes fucking the whole thing up. Just postpone it. As people were saying earlier in the thread, Lawler vs MacDonald is a fine PPV headliner.

Re-book Aldo vs McGregor for the August or September PPVs. This one will get less buys if they pull the fight but the card is deep enough that it will be fine without it. It's not a UFC 151 situation. I'd much rather they push it back than inject interim titles and Chad Mendeses and we never get the fight.

• Paid Members

Of fuck off.

If they're both injured just push it back a few months. It's shit but I'd rather have to wait a bit longer than Aldo go in with dodgy ribs and McGregor go in gimp-kneed. Or Mendes fucking the whole thing up. Just postpone it. As people were saying earlier in the thread, Lawler vs MacDonald is a fine PPV headliner.

Re-book Aldo vs McGregor for the August or September PPVs. This one will get less buys if they pull the fight but the card is deep enough that it will be fine without it. It's not a UFC 151 situation. I'd much rather they push it back than inject interim titles and Chad Mendeses and we never get the fight.

I'm of this opinion even if it's only Aldo that's injured.

It sucks, but nobody buys a ticket to Vegas for a fight without being aware of the risk. It's international fight week and you've still got Lawler / Rory ... it's hardly a ruined trip.

• Paid Members

Yeah, if McGregor is actually injured, postpone it. It kills me to say it because I'm really looking forward to it, but I really want both guys to be 100% (or as close as possible) going in.

• Paid Members

Connor McGregor Vs Nate Diaz at 155 is now being touted as plan B

Have to say, I think that's fucking retarded if true.

I'm sure a lot of peoples initial reaction will be 'it's a smart move, keeps Conor active until Aldo's healthy, winnable fight etc'. I disagree. Yeah it's a winnable fight but for all Nate Diaz's faults, when he's on and up for a fight he can fuck plans up for a lot of guys. And if this rumour about Conor's knee is legit then Nate Diaz is a very risky fight. The last thing you want to have in a fight with Nate Diaz is a bad knee which limits your movement.

I get that the UFC want to deliver a Conor McGregor fight after all this, and I understand that McGregor himself is probably insisting on fighting, but if they book him in a fight against one of the bigger lightweights in the UFC on short notice, possibly with a bad knee, when the Aldo fight is still there looming and they could just push it back a month or two...I don't know, it seems silly to me. Why take the risk? The proposed Mendes fight was risky too, more risky than a Diaz fight would be IMO, but at least it'd have made sense in the featherweight title picture and would lead to either Aldo vs McGregor or Aldo vs Mendes 3 in a unification fight. If Nate beat Conor then what? They just eliminated the most interesting, exciting and marketable contender they have...with a guy who hates working for them seemingly.

Don't get me wrong, McGregor vs Diaz is a fight I'd be all over on its own. But the timing of doing it now would be all to cock.

Archived